New Gun next month!

This is a discussion on New Gun next month! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I am gonna be picking up a new gun in a couple weeks and haven't decided on what I am getting. I really love ...

Thread: New Gun next month!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

New Gun next month!

Ok I am gonna be picking up a new gun in a couple weeks and haven't decided on what I am getting. I really love my new XD sub compact so I was thinking maybe a XDM full size or maybe a M&P. The glocks out as I just got rid of another one because I just don't shoot them very well. Do I go with another XD or grab the M&P or go completely different. Give me some options guys...
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

What is your EDC? Do you have two of them? If not, I would recommend getting another of your EDC, if it's working for you currently. If you've already got that covered, how about a nice .22LR target pistol, or a .22LR conversion for your EDC?
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

EDC is currently my SC XD9. When I get my colt defender back from the gun Dr. I will test it for EDC use. I am looking for a night stand/full size gun.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Full size home defense pistol for the night stand - I'd go with something high capacity, with a mounted weapon light. If you like the XD platform, then a standard XD9, with a mounted Surefire X300, or Streamlight TLR-1, would make a great companion for your XD9 SC. You could even use your XD9 high capacity mags as carry reloads whan you're packin' the SC.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

PLEASE understand I'm not bashing the XD in any way, I'm just repeating what I've read and stating how it feels in my hand while shooting compared to others.

The M&P is a sweet gun. I don't have much experience with the XD, but have shot it a few times. The bore axis is pretty high compared to the M&P and the M&P absorbs recoil better than most other guns. I have about 20,000 through a couple different M&Ps, so I'm biases. Sold them and really shouldn't have, so I'll be picking up the M&P9 in the next week or so along with a couple others I've regretted selling.

Now, Dr Roberts, an authority and professional in the field has many articles available. In one about Duty weapons (I know this isn't a duty weapon, but why not get the most robust gun available) he says to stay away from the XD said it doesn't hold up compared to the Glock, M&P, 1911, Sig, HK, etc. His opinion is based on experience and testing. I know guys will jump in and say they have thousands through with no issues, but that doesn't have anything to do with how it withstands abuse. Just another thing to think about. As a CCW, there's a chance will could go down during a fight and damage our weapon. I like all of my guns to be the most durable available.

With the Apex sear and striker block, the trigger is pretty close to an average 1911's trigger reset. I can't say enough good things about the M&P. I'm sure the XD is a fine weapon and has served many very well. Unless it feels considerably better in your hand WHILE SHOOTING, the M&P would be the better choice IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Dr Gary Roberts (DocGKR) - http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

From his second post in the linked thread.

XD's are a no go for serious use--the inability to retract the slide without engaging the grip safety makes one-hand injured operation very difficult with the XD--this is a deal breaker for me. In addition, in some government tests, XD's (particularly the .40's) have broken a lot of parts compared to other pistols being tested...I'll take a 9 mm Glock or M&P any day of the week over an XD.
    Good luck in your quest and I'm sure you'll love whatever you choose!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    I had an XD9sc and it was a very reliable firearm, but as stated above it has a high bore axis for sure. I got rid of it for another M&P and have not looked back. Get the M&P......... The XD will be fine if you decide of one though...
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Ok I am gonna be picking up a new gun in a couple weeks and haven't decided on what I am getting. I really love my new XD sub compact so I was thinking maybe a XDM full size or maybe a M&P. The glocks out as I just got rid of another one because I just don't shoot them very well. Do I go with another XD or grab the M&P or go completely different. Give me some options guys...
    I just bought an M&P. I've not fired an XDM, but I did shoot the M&P and regular XD side by side while I was shopping around, and prefered the M&P. If you can rent them both, I'd recommend you do the same, and fire both side by side to compare. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Distinguished Member
    I would stick with what you are use to and get the XD or XDM.

Good points. For the record, I would personally prefer the M&P or Glock over the XD, as well, but that's not what my recommendation was about.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

My store has a spec-opes M&P that I am looking at. What's the deal with them besides the threaded barrel? Thanks all for your input!

If you get the chance, check out a CZ, they come in many flavors.

Another vote for the S&W M&P's over the xDs

Yup, outa the two I'd lean toward the M&P.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Still can't decide I am 70/30 M&P. I think I might wait until I can be 100% on my decision before I buy. Definately full size and something I can mount a lazer or light too.

Links