Kahr PM 40??

Kahr PM 40??

This is a discussion on Kahr PM 40?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at a Kahr PM40. My local shop has one used I can get for a good price. How is the recoil on ...

Thread: Kahr PM 40??

Kahr PM 40??

I am looking at a Kahr PM40. My local shop has one used I can get for a good price. How is the recoil on one of these??? How do you carry it??? What kinda holster are carrying it in? Are they ammo finicky??? Thanks for the help. Robbie

JD
    Administrator
    I had one for a short while, the recoil wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, it did not seem to be finicky on ammunition. I was carrying it in a BladeTech UCH.

It just didn't really float my boat as I tend to prefer larger autos when it comes to service calibers or smaller guns in a lesser caliber.

It was not the beast that many make it out to be and was more pleasant IMHO than shooting an Airlite J-Frame with +P .38 loads.

It's my summer EDC. After 500+ rounds I've had no failures of any kind. It hides well in a Don Hume IWB or a Desantis Covert Option.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

I have looked at these but think I would like the 9mm better.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I fired a few rounds from one recently. I was impressed with the accuracy and the recoil was very manageable.

The recoil is stout but very managable. I wouldn't recommend it for an inexperienced shooter. I love mine. It's very accurate and reliable.

I am thinking about trying to get it in the morning...I think it would make a very good carry weapon..alot of firepower in a small package.

I went from EDC a Glock 23 to the Kahr MK9 due to warmer weather and the need for lesser clothing. I kept the glock 23.

I then traded Kahr Mk9 for a CW40. The CW40 was 5 onces lighter then the MK9

IMHO is the CW40 almost the same as the PM40, the PM40 has a little shorter grip, a .6 inch shorter barrel and is 2 oz lighter.
    PM40 weights 17 OZ with Magazine unloaded,
    CW40 weights 19 oz with magazine unloaded,
    the MK9 weighted 24 oz with Magazine unloaded

I don't have any problems with the recoil. As for carrying my CW40 I carry it in a IWB, OWB, depending on what I am wearing and pocket carry when I wear Cargo pants.

MY experience with the Kahrs have been very positive. In excess of 1,500 rounds between the Mk 9 and the CW40 without any problems

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    MY experience with the Kahrs have been very positive. In excess of 1,500 rounds between the Mk 9 and the CW40 without any problems
    Same here, Kahr's are outstanding CCW guns. I own a PM9 and CW40 and while there certainly is more recoil with the .40 its controlable and not unpleasent to shoot.

The Crossbreed holsters may not be pretty but they are comfortable for long duration carry and thats whats important to me. This is a Supertuck but I have a Minituck for the PM9 and its perfect for any of the Kahr PM series pistols.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have got a PM9 first and loved it-a great shooter. Then a few months later got the PM40. I liked it even better.

The recoil and shootability isn't that much difference in my opinion between shooting +P 124grain 9mm Gold Dots or the 165grain 40 Gold Dots.

Sure you have one less round in the PM 40 when compared to the PM9, but the 40 is what I carry 90% of the time now. The remaining times I've got a G27 or G22 on my hip.

I carry the PM40 alone in either the front pocket or back pocket of my Levi's or in every pair of shorts in a thin, cut down roughout leather Galco which covers the trigger entirely. With a razorblade, I turned the Galco into a leather version of a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

Dirty

I have a PM9 but shot a friend's PM40 and 9 both before buying the 9. I'd have to agree with JD in that the 40's recoil is stouter than the PM9's but is less than a airweight J-frame 38. It is very manageable and our friend (who we shoot with a lot) has had no problems with his PM40 at all. It's his primary CCW carry weapon.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Got it today...recoil isnt bad at all....I think its gonna be a keeper...Robbie

Good luck with your Kahr.I think you made a wise choice.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Sponsored Links