HK45 endurance test

This is a discussion on HK45 endurance test within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://pistol-training.com/archives/3367 20,625 rounds 0 stoppages 0 malfunctions 0 parts breakages They went 10,000 rounds without cleaning it. Pretty impressive....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK45 endurance test

Senior Moderator

HK45 endurance test

http://pistol-training.com/archives/3367

20,625 rounds

0 stoppages
    0 malfunctions
    0 parts breakages

They went 10,000 rounds without cleaning it.

Pretty impressive.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I followed the P30 endurance test, definitely some interesting stuff. I just wish the Hk45 had the 12 rd capacity of the USP.

While that might be true and the shooter is respected in certain circles for his honesty and integrity on these things, anyone can post pictures and videos and a write up about any gun going x number of rounds.

I'm always skeptical of these things.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    While that might be true and the shooter is respected in certain circles for his honesty and integrity on these things, anyone can post pictures and videos and a write up about any gun going x number of rounds.

I'm always skeptical of these things.
    I'm about 100% sure this is all legit, if you look over the previous torture tests you see the gunk, you see the broken parts, you read the reviews from others shooting the guns etc.

I love mine.. Just sold a HK45c and opted to keep the full size. Todd does some great reviews and always trust his opinions. A lot of great drills on that site as well.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I followed the P30 endurance test, definitely some interesting stuff. I just wish the Hk45 had the 12 rd capacity of the USP.
    My 10 round magazines all seem happy holding rounds, so the capacity difference is minimal. Personally, I find the ergos on the HK45 much nicer than the USP45.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Senior Moderator
    I'm contemplating converting mine to the LEM trigger.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'm about 100% sure this is all legit, if you look over the previous torture tests you see the gunk, you see the broken parts, you read the reviews from others shooting the guns etc.
    I know the shooter (not personally but from another forum) and yes as I said he's respected for being honest. Again I'm simply saying that I don't really trust everything on the internet. A notorious test is the "Glock Torture test" it looked as if a Glock 21 had survived a number of tests that would make other guns fail immediately. Later on we find that the videos were edited so that failures did not appear. One example is a gun buried in a bucket of dirt. Shake the gun off rack the slide and fire. Only originally it jammed up and needed to be racked again to clear the round out a couple times. That wasn't shown in the originally published video.

Anyway I know HKs are reliable, I own 2 myself including an HK45f. I'm not a reloader and refuse to spend the money on all the ammo but I'm sure my gun would do this many rounds if I put it to the test. So I do believe it. I also don't have the patience to document everything. I expect it to go bang and it does.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post

Matt
    You have to feel an LEM before deciding. I was on the fence about doing my P30 in LEM but decided not to once I got to feel an LEM trigger. I still felt that the SA was better overall than the LEM system.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post

Matt
    I think that would probably be a good move. LEMs are closer in feel to SA with a long, very light take up than a DA. Once the slack is out, it takes very little trigger motion to break the shot. And, it's a distinct, clean break. The only difference (again in feel) is the long take up and long reset - i.e. compared to a 1911 SA trigger.

I guess you already know you have a choice of trigger pull weights, 4.5 lbs and 6.5 lbs I think.

The LEM may be one of the most under-appreciated triggers ever designed. I think it's also one of the best.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I love my HK45. I've handled weapons for over 40 years, including 30 years in the military, and my HK45 is the first and only weapon that I fired a perfect, clean bullseye with on the very first trigger squeeze. It's hands down the gun I'm most comfortable with -- even though my favorite is my Model 66 (that just looks cool!)

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Both Todd and Greg Bell's tests of various HKs have been some of the most entertaining, well written and open tests I've read on the internet. They aren't torture tests, ( well, maybe Greg enjoys a little gun abuse now and then ), but enduance and hard use marathons... broken parts and all. Greg Bell's "Break My P2000" series sold a bunch of guns for HK I'd wager. Most of us would never do these thing to our guns on purpose, but it's good to know how tough they are.

Administrator
    I sure could have used that back when I was attacked by 9,999 Bad Guys and still could have saved the last bullet for myself.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    You have to feel an LEM before deciding. I was on the fence about doing my P30 in LEM but decided not to once I got to feel an LEM trigger. I still felt that the SA was better overall than the LEM system.
    Yeah, I'm going to find an LEM to play with before I order the kit for the HK45. I really like the HK45 - it's definitely the handgun in my collection I shoot the best. I have a P30L, but for some reason I just don't mesh with it like I do the HK45.

RKM
    I couldn't find an HK45 anyhere but online. I didn't want to order online. So I settled for the USP .45 they had in the local store. And I must say, I'm very happy with my HK. Dead accurate and everything is so smooth. The action, the trigger, the mag release. And not one malfuntion thus far. I indeed love HK and will certainly buy another. I'm going to get the HK45 compact :) My Glocks are jealous, but I still love them too ;)

Yeah, I wish my HK45 had the capacity of my USP Tactical. It's a great gun and I love the fact that I can carried it cocked and locked. The problem for me is that only gaining two rounds keeps me sticking with the 1911. If I want a polymer 45, the Glock 21 is tempting due to it's 13 round magazines. I shoot my HK45 very well. It's accurate and even the first DA shot is very easy and it's shorter than my Sigs since it's partially cocked. I've been on the fence about selling it, then I shoot it again and remember how much I love the gun.

The problem for me with the HK's in general is that I don't connect with them like I do my 1911's and even my Sigs. I have 5 mags for mine and it's a fun gun to run hard, but to me it's kind of like a Sig 220, why not just get a good 1911 since the capacity is not enough to make much difference.

Anyway, leaving opinion out of it, the gun is very reliable and easy to shoot. Todd's tests are very realistic in that he's not filling the inners with baby powder and molasses, he's just shooting a lot of rounds through it quickly per session without cleaning it very often. Running a thousand rounds through a gun very quickly in a short amount of time without cleaning will show failures a lot easier than having five 200 round sessions with a slow to average rate of fire with breaks in between. Also, he's having other shooters of all different types putting thousands of rounds through it, so it's not just one man's opinion.

Like I mentioned earlier, there's a lot of good drills of his site with targets you can download and instructions on how to run them. I run a couple of them at least a few times a week.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links