228 Range Report and My Wife's "first time"

This is a discussion on 228 Range Report and My Wife's "first time" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, I took the Sig 228 to the range today. I finally got my wife to go shooting for the first time. More about that ...

Thread: 228 Range Report and My Wife's "first time"

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

228 Range Report and My Wife's "first time"

Guys, I took the Sig 228 to the range today. I finally got my wife to go shooting for the first time. More about that later.

The Sig shoots like a dream. I'm no master marksman but I shot very tight groups. After the first few rounds I remember thinking to my self, "Man, this thing shoots exactly where I aim!" No FTF or FTE. It ate up the 124gr. GoldenSabers and the 115 FMJ Winchester rounds. I put 150 rounds through it and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so my wife decides to tag along. We made a date out of it. Took her to Red Lobster and shopping at the mall, which by the way is a target rich environment. On the way to the indoor range I explain to her what to expect. Told her that being in an indoor range is like kind like being at a rock concert. The various blasts kind of feel like being close to a really loud bass speaker. (Only example I could think of to help her know what to expect with the "vibrations and sounds".)

So we get there and go into the range. It is pretty busy and right away I could tell that she was uncomfortable. I figured kind of arrogantly that she would be fine and be able to handle the 9mm.(Guess that I forgot that I learned on a .22) Last year I took her sister shooting and she shot my G21 with no problem. Anyway she stands behind me as I fire a couple of magazines down range. I get her up to the firing line, show her how to handle the pistol, stressing gun safety. I then loaded one round into the 228. She fires and I can tell she doesn't like it. I load one more round, she fires and really doesn't like it. The round had an excessive muzzle flash. In fact she hands the pistol over and goes out.

I continue my range session loving my new 228 but also worried that she is in tears and now hates guns. I finish my session, go out and pay. I don't see my wife in the lobby. I start to go out to the SUV and the clerk says your wife is still shooting bowling pins. "Bull$%^t!" I say. "She went out to the car". The clerk motions me behind the counter and shows me the security camera screen.

Sure 'nuff my wife is on the bowling pin range shooting. It seems that one of the friendly range instructors decided to let my wife shoot a Ruger .22 pistol that had a Red Dot style scope on it (AimPoint?). Immediately, I am a little jealous. But as soon as I walk in my wife is sweeping left to right NAILING the pins!!!!!!!!!! The jealously immediatly gave way to GREAT PRIDE. The range instructor had shown my wife how to work the Ruger and she was doing great. The instructor walked out and I took over. She did great. Even when the gun jammed she kept it pointed down range, took her finger off the trigger, flipped the safety on, and waited for me to clear it.

Long story short, she probably shot about 100 rounds. She did recieve a war wound-the slide caught her hand a little but nothing that a band-aid couldn't handle. All in all what started as a negative experience turned in to a pretty postive one. She is not addicted to shooting by any means but has agreed to go with me again sometime as long as I can find her a pistol with pink grips!!!!(My girl is a prissy chick!) So she isn't a 100% shooter like we are but she could be with some work.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; June 22nd, 2006 at 11:51 AM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

Congrats Doc! .22s are usually a good start, and move them up slowly (new shooters, that is). Sigs are really hard to beat for accuracy and ease of use. You got a keeper!

As much as I love centerfires I also like my Ruger MK II. I got my wife to go shooting and she put 150 rds or so through my Ruger. She also put 1 round through a 1911. Dead center at 10 yards, but didn't want to shoot it again.

Man that is a great story! I cannot get my wife to even go to the range to watch me and my daughter shoot.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Great story Doc. I have never met anyone that didn't enjoy shooting a .22. I've had Aunts, Uncles, Grandmothers, Mothers, Wives, Boys, Girls, all try a .22 and loved it.

Good show, Doc.

My wife loves the Ruger MkII (alas, borrowed) and my pellet rifle! She'll shoot the .22 as long as we are at the range unless I suggest that she re-qual's on "her" (read...the only of my handguns that she will willing shoot that is more than a .22) .38 snubbie. Oh...yeah...I made the mistake of showing her the basics and letting her practice. She's pretty good. Be careful about that...a friend's wife is good w/a 1911...and progressively shoots more accurately and quickly as she gets more angry!!!!! He now behaves very well and is always very respectful. >; )

I wish my wife would go to the range with me more than she does, but I have had to learn not to push her. The invitation's almost always open. I can't wait to hook her up to the full-size 1911. : )

Enjoy your shooting dates. There's nothing like the smell of gunpowder to make a marriage great! ROTFL!

Michael

Assistant Administrator
    What a great result in the end - a transition has been made and more than likely this will keep things going in the right direction now. Heck of a good start anyways, considering the 9mm hassles!

Glad the 228 is so pleasing - love all my SIG's but have been using 228 for IDPA and enjoy it immensely.

BTW - added some para's in your description to space it out - reads easier IMO
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Buy that instructor lunch

He did a wonderful job of damage control for you. ;-)

Thanks for posting that, Doc. I'm going to have to try a 228 sometime, have never fired one.
    Many years ago, my wife wanted to shoot "my gun" and I just handed it to her. A 3" S&W 44 Magnum. Big mistake. I didn't have any damage control and it was several years before she'd shoot anything at all. I need to tattoo 'start with a 22' on the back of my hand.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    BTW - added some para's in your description to space it out - reads easier IMO
    Thanks man. My English professors used to hate me!

BTW, I just saw a Ruger MK III for $190 on AuctionArms and our anniversary is coming up in a few days........She may not be ready for that just yet but it is a good excuse to buy another gun!!!!
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; June 22nd, 2006 at 11:46 AM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Sometimes husbands are not the greatest firearms instructors for wives.

Jungle Work

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Great post!
    I made the mistake of letting my wife watch me shoot my 454 SRH when we first met. Now I do good to get her to shoot an airsoft pistol....
    Maybe one of these days.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Beretta's new .22 comes with colored grips (though I am not sure about pink being one of them).

i met my wife at the fort bliss rod and gun club in the 80's. we both were shooting matches at the club when we met.

My wife is a shotgun chick! She weilds a Winchester mdl 12. Yes, I say please, thank you, and yes dear with absolute sincerity ;)

Cool experience and I aslo would advise you buy the instructor lunch.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Links