Grayguns Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec (Pictures!)

This is a discussion on Grayguns Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec (Pictures!) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very nice sidearm! That looks like a Mil Spec, though, rather than a GI (Mil Spec has the slanted cocking serrations, while GI has the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grayguns Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec (Pictures!)

Very nice sidearm! That looks like a Mil Spec, though, rather than a GI (Mil Spec has the slanted cocking serrations, while GI has the straight vertical ones). Does it have the crossed cannons logo on the right side of the slide? I really love a Springfield Mil Spec. I don't think there's a better base gun for a custom 1911 build. What is the "Super Black" finish you mentioned? Looks good.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

Very nice. I like the sleek simplicity.

I didn't even notice the recoil spring cap, until JD pointed it out.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Straight verticle serrations. 1968 Colt 1911 Government Model.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats looks great i saw a short barrel gi the other day and wanted it
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    That is a beautiful pistol. One question though, my stock GI has no full-length guide rod. Are you sure it was a GI model? In any event, great pistol!
    The original owner had self-installed a bunch of after-market parts---compensator, beavertail grip safety, extended mag release, and so on. None of this work was done by a 'smith, so it was just a bunch of parts rattling around. The original parts were in a baggy: GI style hammer, grip safety, and thumb safety. It also had the staked front sight, as opposed to a dovetail. That made me assume it was a GI model...

Of course, he couldn't find all the original parts, so we didn't have the original mag release or bushing, and I guess he added the full-length guide rod and never gave us the GI guide rod and spring with the gun.

So, 1911 folks, here is the right side. Tell me which model we started with.

logo.jpg
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    The original owner had self-installed a bunch of after-market parts---compensator, beavertail grip safety, extended mag release, and so on. None of this work was done by a 'smith, so it was just a bunch of parts rattling around. The original parts were in a baggy: GI style hammer, grip safety, and thumb safety. So, yes, I am sure it was a GI.

Of course, he couldn't find all the original parts, so we didn't have the original mag release or bushing, and I guess he added the full-length guide rod and never gave us the GI guide rod and spring with the gun.
    It's actually a MILSPEC, as noted above in another post, a GI has vertical slide serrations while the MILSPEC has the slanted serrations.

Nomenclature aside, that's a sweet lookin' gun.

OD*
    Very nice looking Springer, indeed.

Seraph, is correct, the Mil Spec's have the slanted cocking serrations (yours is a Mil-Spec), while the GI models have the vertical serrations AND the WW prefix on the serial number.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

JD, you're too fast. I went back and edited my post right after I made it, but you quoted it already...

Of course, after all the alterations, it's just a frame and a slide with a lot of nice work done to it.

ETA: And thanks all for the information about the different models. I will file all that away for future reference!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Note to self, get flat recoil spring cap.
    I like them myself, especially with the thicker bushing flange.

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by lambo969 View Post
    Wow. This is a sweet looking gun. I keep scrolling over the pictures! Just curious, and you don't have to answer, but how much would one expect to pay for a set of modifications similar to yours? If you got the gun used and the fixing was not too expensive it sounds like you hit the jackpot.
    This was not inexpensive work. The action work, hard-tail, refinishing, and sights (because of the slide cuts) were each pretty significant jobs. The end result, including the purchase price of the Mil-Spec, is...below Wilson and Nighthawk, above Kimber. Probably in the Dan Wesson or low-to-mid Fusion range. On the other hand, it's also work done by a 'smith we chose and with parts that we chose, so I think it is worth it at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    What is the "Super Black" finish you mentioned? Looks good.
    It looks even darker in person that it does in the pics.

If you look over on SigForum there's been some discussion, as that's where I twigged to it. My understanding is that SuperBlack actually alters the surface layer of the metal itself---it is not an add-on coating. It's pretty durable and has roughly the same appearance as a stock Nitron finished SIG stainless slide. As it is a metal treatment and not a "finish" per se, you can achieve some different effects by putting another coating over it.

You know what I'm gunna say Kazz....

SWWWEEEEETTTT!!!!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    It looks even darker in person that it does in the pics.

If you look over on SigForum there's been some discussion, as that's where I twigged to it. My understanding is that SuperBlack actually alters the surface layer of the metal itself---it is not an add-on coating. It's pretty durable and has roughly the same appearance as a stock Nitron finished SIG stainless slide. As it is a metal treatment and not a "finish" per se, you can achieve some different effects by putting another coating over it.
    Sounds like "Super Black" is probably Melonite QPQ, aka nitrocarburizing. It is tough, traditional looking (looks like matte blue or parkerizing), HIGHLY corrosion resistant, and my personal favorite "finish." I like this pistol.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Well slap me silly. I am not a 1911 scholar and I am just confused why "Mil Spec" (Military Specification) is not the same thing as "Government". You would think the terms were interchangeable. Can someone explain why the difference in nomenclature?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Well slap me silly. I am not a 1911 scholar and I am just confused why "Mil Spec" (Military Specification) is not the same thing as "Government". You would think the terms were interchangeable. Can someone explain why the difference in nomenclature?
    The ORIGINAL nomenclature of Government Model vs Military Specification (or more commonly known as USGI) started as;

Government Model is a pistol produced for the commercial market by Colt, regardless of whether or not it has the 1924 improvements. These pistols will have a C prefix or suffix with their serial number. The C is considered part of their serial numbers, and should be included when making reference to the serial number of these commercial pistols.

M1911 is a military model designation for military pistols shipped 1912 through 1919, and only refers to pistols produced under contract for the United States Government. Serial range is 1-629500.

M1911A1 is a military model pistol produced in either 1924, or 1937-1945. Serial range is 700001-2660318 and only refers to pistols produced under contract for the United States Government.

The military M1911 and M1911A1 pistols do NOT have a C prefix or suffix with their serial numbers. They do have an No (o is underlined) or NO. serial number prefix before the serial number.

The first M1911A1 military pistols were produced in 1924, but were originally designated the Improved Model of 1911. Then in 1926, the M1911A1 designation was approved and made retroactive to include all military pistols produced back to 1924 beginning with serial number 700,000...although the serial range actually began at 700001.

Colt's specifically picked the name Government Model for their commercial series of pistols in order to boost interest and sales by promoting the idea that it was the same basic pistol that had been accepted by the U.S. military.

There are other specific differences by year and serial range in the finishes and characteristics of commercial Government Models and military M1911 or M1911A1 pistols. Those differences may be more difficult to distinguish, but anyone can determine what type of pistol they have with this information.
    Scott Gahimer
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=34750

~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links