How Many Rounds?

This is a discussion on How Many Rounds? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 9+1 in the G27, spare mag with 13 and 5 in the BUG...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: How Many Rounds?

9+1 in the G27, spare mag with 13 and 5 in the BUG

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Depends what I am doing. If I am working then it is the 13+1 and 4 15 round spares for the Glock 23 and a S&W 642 with 5 rounds and 4 30 round magazines for the AR. So total we have 13+1+15+15+15+15+5+30+30+30+30= 199. But if you're not in law enforcement it would be a little silly to have the load out that I have there. (unless you're talking about trunk guns and the like I suppose)

If I'm not working I have 13+1 and a spare 15 round magazine for the Glock 23 so 29 rounds.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I guess I live and work in safer neighborhoods, as I never carry extra ammo for my CCW. Usually it is an S&W snubbie with 5 rounds of .38 HP's.

I'm not an LEO, and stay away from the slums, the 'hood, and am home by 10 p.m. most nights.

Frankly, I can't imagine any non-LEO firing a dozen or more shots in a populated area. Perhaps some may be watching too many action-movies. Are there ANY documented instances of a civilian needing to fire 12 or more rounds in self-defense in any American city?

Supposedly most civilian self-defense shootings involve the "Rule of Threes" -- 3 shots, at 3 feet, at 3 a.m.

gold40
    Tayopo likes this.

I always thought it was the "3F" rule. Fire till the &&#** falls.

VIP Member
    gold40 the primary reason for a reload as a civilian would be because some of the most common malfunctions are magazine related.

As far as following any common gunfight information, I'm not sure I'd ever be a fan. If you get into a gunfight you've already entered some uncharted waters. No reason to think the law of averages is suddenly going to start working in your favor. If you're carrying a J-frame and no reloads you're prepared for a very limited scope of action. If that's all you believe you need to be prepared for, that's fine. But implying that others that prepare for a wider scope of problems aren't doing the logical thing is just kind of silly. We all have different views of what's needed. I personally think I may be under prepared when I step out with only one reload on my person. The chances that I'll need more than 29 rounds of ammunition is VERY low, but that doesn't mean it may not come into play.
    OD* likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I only carry the 14 my XDm 9 holds. I could go with the extended mag but I don't like the way it carries.

Update to my EDC load-out: I am now going to start carrying 12 rounds in my 3 10-round mags, plus 10 more rounds for the Taurus m380 mini-revolver I plan to buy. I just added a Crimson Trace lasergrip to my Glock, and I can hold it better with extended mags. So even though I'll sacrifice concealment, I'll be able to get a better grip and gain a couple more shots. So three 12-round mags+1 in the pipe= 37 rounds+ 10 more rounds of .380=47 shots to defend my life. Yeah, I think I'll be okay. If I feel the need for more, I'll tuck three extra mags away in my car.
    Last edited by sheepdog37; October 5th, 2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: I had a Grammar accident!
    Honey, I forgot to duck.- Ronald Reagan

The most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".- Ronald Reagan

8+1
    Plus 1 10round mag in the 45c.
    8+1
    Plus 2 8round magsin the Aegis Ultra 9mm.
    8+1
    Plus 1 8round mag in the Stainless II

Current carry is my SAR K2 .45 which is 14+1 and a spare mag for 29rds
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    With the Beretta px4c = 15+1, + 15. With the G26 and the G29sf = 10 +1, +12.

HIO For concealed, 6 rnds in my S&W .357, For the occasions where I 'have' to use the lil .25, 7 +1

For open field use, where I may meet some bandidos at extended ranges, the belt with 18, plus the loaded pistol..

If you need more, you lack proficiency, get to cracking.

Remember more live by prudent withdrawal where possible - on 'both' sides - than by spraying and praying.. The BG isn't in the least bit interested in an exchange of fire with a normal citizen, which is far different in LEO work

Remember after an initial exchange of one or two shots, the BG has only one of two thoughts, 'get the hell out of here before the police arrive' or 'geeze this arse has a gun, I'm out of here '

Don jose de La Mancha

p.s. In a life time of LEO and exploring, I have yet to empty my revolver on such occasions. Maybe it is just me. K, yes, I am 89, going for 150 and have learned the reason for proficiency in the tools of the trade...

Always, always, ALWAYS carry spare ammo.

If you carry a wheelgun, spare ammo gives you more than the 5 or 6 in the typical cylinder.

If you carry an automatic, you need a spare mag because magazine/feed issues are the #1 cause of malfunctions. So you've got 23 rounds in your one mag - what if the mag fails?

Always carry spare ammo.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

12+1 in my M&P9c and a 17 rounder in a kydex sheath on my belt at he 4 to 7 o'clock.

Depends on time of day, mode of dress, expected activity etc, but:

Workday: LCR .38 with five in the gun and a speed strip of four. Can't carry at work and I rarely leave my vehicle on the way to and from so I feel fine with this. I will add a speedloader and/or more strips if I carry this anywhere else.

Deep carry: Kahr CM9 6+1 with one spare mag of 7rds. I have to get a different mag pouch so I can carry the two seven round mags I have.

Heavy cover garment (another reason I love cool weather): XD9 Service 16+1 with a spare 16. This is my preferred load.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My gun holds 7+1, and one extra mag. I also have two more extra mags that I rotate so that the carry ammo doesn't get chambered too often. so normally 15 but I could have 29. I honestly don't see myself needing more than the one mag but the second is in case of a mag related failure. Or if I for some reason accidentally ejected the mag on the ground. Stranger things have happened. DR

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Links