S&W 2 in. or HK P7 psp?

S&W 2 in. or HK P7 psp?

This is a discussion on S&W 2 in. or HK P7 psp? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to decide between the two as a primary carry. The Smith is soooo easy to carry and I shoot it well. Drawbacks are: only ...

Thread: S&W 2 in. or HK P7 psp?

Smile S&W 2 in. or HK P7 psp?

Trying to decide between the two as a primary carry. The Smith is soooo easy to carry and I shoot it well. Drawbacks are: only 5 shots but I have a speed loader which I'm learning to use. After reading Michael DeBethencourt's stuff on the internet and youtube, I'm leaning a lot toward that gun.

The HKP7 is also a delight, never malfunctions, never. I shoot it well. However, it's quite a bit heavier than the Smith, plus it's verrrry hard to find a reasonably priced holster for it. It does hold more rounds and is easier to reload. I think the two rounds are pretty much a wash.

Any suggestions, thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I want a P7 pretty bad I will use it for CC. Plus its just a cool gun lol.

P7.

Nearly twice the rounds ready-to-go, plus 60% more in the reload which is much faster to use and more convenient to carry. It's safer due to its squeeze-cocker system and there is at least the chance that if someone gets a hold of it who shouldn't they won't be able to operate it. Plus, you said you shoot it well, which is extremely important.

Holsters aren't as difficult to find as you might think, from medium priced (Crossbreed) to higher end stuff (Milt Sparks, High Noon). With cheaper holsters some can work with the P7, but you get what you pay for regardless of what you stuff into it.

My EDC is a P7.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    This is so easy, just carry them both!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Carry both...P7 as primary...snubbie as a BUG. And a holster shouldnt be too bad for that P7. There are several makers on this forum that make them and their prices arent any worse than any other gun. HBE, UBG, etc.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have to go with the rest of the guys here and say carry both.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

The folks at FIST holsters know how to make a good P7 holster.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The P7 is an engineering marvel, much more significant its its early days than now, making a 9mm pistol with a service-length barrel fit into a small fore-and-aft package. The problem is, length is less important than height if concealed carry is the goal. The P7 is still a quite tall pistol, and its bulging rear end of the slide complicates concealment. I am not saying that it is a bad design, just that it is not the most concealable weapon. Keep in mind that German police, at least in the 1980's, did not carry their pistols when off the clock, so deep concealment was not a goal in the development of the P7.

Since it seems the OP already owns a P7 and a J-frame, there is no "which to buy" situation at hand. I personally think of a J-frame as an excellent back-up weapon. The smallest handgun I want as my primary, or only, weapon, is a Ruger SP101. This makes the P7 the default choice, in this case, in my opinion. But then, I wear a badge, and swore an oath to protect more than just myself; this affects my perspective. I usually carry a SIG P229 concealed on my own time, the same as I tote at work. This is a comparable pistol to the HK P7. In the 1980's, I actually owned two P7s for a short time, carrying one on my own time, and both of them at work. When my agency went to open retention-type holsters, from the old-fashioned flap rigs, obtaining a duty-type holster for the P7 was problematic, and I went back to a sixgun for on-duty, and sold the P7s when finances got tight.

VIP Member
    Between the two for CC, I would (and have) opted for a snub. I sold my mint P7 and started carrying a 642. As it turned out, I sold it as well and then I finally found my sweet-spot S&W 640. What feels good at the sales counter and great in the home, may well not be the cats meow under your shirt.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Sponsored Links