Range report Kel Tec PF9.

This is a discussion on Range report Kel Tec PF9. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I got my second replacement PF9 from Kel Tec and I finally got one that shoots 50 rounds without jamming. As some of you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range report Kel Tec PF9.

Range report Kel Tec PF9.

Well I got my second replacement PF9 from Kel Tec and I finally got one that shoots 50 rounds without jamming.

As some of you may know I have been critical of Kel Tec for almost a year. Having bought a P32, P11 and PF9 and all three were problematic. If I read this I'd ask, why did you buy three when you had problems from the first. Well they got consistently worse. The P32 was resolved by Kel Tec 'selling' me a fix for their poor design. The P11 was nice about everything but trigger and reliable. Well after about 300 rounds it's about 95% reliable, and, after doing the trigger thing from the Kel Tec forum the trigger is actually ok. Now the PF9 which I had high hopes for was atrocious. It couldn't fire 14 rounds without a jam. Two trips to Kel Tec and I got 50 rounds through the latest version.

I've learned a very important lesson I'll share with you guys. If you buy cheap expect cheap. I bought a Kahr PM9 for less than I paid for the three Kel Tecs and now they are of no use. If I can find a buyer, their gone. All three. The Kahr has had no failures, versus numerous failures from all three Kel Tecs. The Kahr is very accurate, versus keeping the shots on the paper with all three Kel Tecs. The Kahr is fun to shoot. The P32 is ok, the P11 is acceptable, the PF9 is punishing. The Kahr shoots anything I feed it, reloads, +P, hollow points, whatever. The Kel Tecs are very finicky.

I hope this helps someone. No need to argue with me. I'm not coming back to this thread, I've heard all the pro Kel Tec, and I don't doubt what others have experienced. Documented above is what I experienced, for what it's worth. Add your comments for others to read, if you want.

2. Remove Ads

Ive been looking at the PF-9 for a while now.

I took a chance with a PF-9, and I got lucky. Mine has been 100% reliable through 400rds so far. It eats everything I put through it. Sorry about your luck!!!

My PF9 has had (I'd estimate) ~600 rounds through it. It has been 100% *EXCEPT* when feeding it WWB ammo (I'd have atleast 1 failure per mag, usually a FTE resulting in a double feed). It has never jammed, mis-fed or in any other way failed on me when using any other ammo. It's been a positive ownership experience, thus far.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9c
    Sig Sauer P229R .40
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Keltec PF9 Parkerized

Just purchased a pf9 the other day. Hopefully I have better luck.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Your experience with Kel tec sounds like my experience with Kahr. Three strikes...aaaannd they're OUT.

Go figure...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Odd that this thread pops up now. Based on strong feedback from members on this sight, I'd decided that a PF9 was likely my next purchase. Last week, I walked into my local gun shop knowing that I might get one. However when I picked it up, I noticed that the barrel was rusted and I don't mean just a little. I realize that they probably just took it out of the box and threw it in the case. Down south in this humidity, you need to keep a little protection on bare metal and they were just too lazy. However, whatever the reason for the mistake, I'm not going to pay for a new gun and get a rusty one, so I was done.

Then I started thinking. The only firearm purchases that I ever regretted were two (you can guess the brand name - I wont go there), and they were of the cheapest on the market. Since then, I've paid for quality and never regretted it. My point is not to slam Kel-Tec, I think they do a fine job of serving a market niche and they've earned a loyal following. However, I have never regretted paying more for a firearm with premium materials and workmanship. The search for a small single-stack 9mm continues. I may have to wait this one out for a while.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    I've learned a very important lesson I'll share with you guys. If you buy cheap expect cheap.
    I learned this 30 years ago.....nothing wrong with a good inexpensive gun, like a CZ82 lets say but Kel Tec's sell at the price point they do for good reasons and you found out first hand why.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Love my PF9. 100% reliable. If you think this gun is punishing to shoot, then you really haven't taken the advice of those over at KTOG.org and put on a Hogue Hand-All Jr. sleeve grip. Last time I shot my PF9 I put 200 down range with absolutely no discomfort. Have the slide duracoated for $25 and you have a rust-proof finish in any color you like. Do all these add-ons plus the initial price of the gun and you're only out $300-350. Hard to beat that value. Of course, Kahr may send you just the plastic gun case for $300.00 if you ask nicely?
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

My FFL carries and shoots a PF9 and he has nothing but good things to say about them.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

i had one that i loved but was somewhat finiky on ammo and once you got it hot it would act up i loved it but traded for a glock but miss my kel tec

Yep, the finish on my Kel-Tec P11 is probably conducive to rusting, so about once a month I use Turtle Wax on the metal parts. I started using Turtle Wax on my black powder guns when I was heavy into that and didn't have a problem with rust from the corrosive powder.

Sadly to say, my Kel-Tec P11 has also been sent back to the factory twice.

The last time they replaced the slide and barrel. It seems to be doing better, but I'm still a little leery.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

I have a P11,it eats everything including reloads
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I wonder if perhaps the malfunctions could have been the shooting technique?

Geez

Big thnx for post'n your Kel-Tec stuff * i will buy 1st gun this year & P-11 "was" 1st choice as it stood til now * Though it's 1 person's thing, Xs 3 in your case, that's all it takes for me * Would you say customer service is not all that bad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links