9mm Carbine recommendation

This is a discussion on 9mm Carbine recommendation within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who makes a 9mm carbine, that's affordable and reliable? I'd like to buy one within the next 6 months. Thanks in advance for any help ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Carbine recommendation

Who makes a 9mm carbine, that's affordable and reliable?
    I'd like to buy one within the next 6 months.
    Thanks in advance for any help you guys can throw my way.
    Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Walther makes one for around $400+
    Hi-Point has theirs which is around $300ish
    and Kel Tec makes one for about $300
    I have looked at them and I was thinking about picking up the Keltec which you can get so it uses standard Glock magazines. That means you can get 30 rounders : )

KelTecs with the 30-round Glock mags are a very good choice. If you want something a bit fancier, check out the Beretta. If money is tight, shop around and you will eventually find a HiPoint for a fair amount less than $300.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Keltec works for me.

Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
    Walther makes one for around $400+
    What?? Huh??? Where!!??
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    If you do a search for Hi Point 995, Kel Tec Sub 2000 or Marlin Camp carbine you will find many posts, several showing and discussing the pluses and minuses of each of these small rifles I own.

Here's an example
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nt-9mm-Carbine

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I had the chance a few years ago to run a couple of courses of fire with a Beretta Cx4 Storm and was VERY pleased with the way it handled and shot during some room-clearing excercises. About the only beefs I had at the time was limited magazine capacity, but they have a version that takes 92/M-9 mags now...so you should be able to use some of the aftermarket Hi-cap mags for that issue. I liked the ready-to-go platform for lights and other add-ons too along with the other officers that tried it that day. Only issue that I see right now per your specs would be the price range. I certainly wouldn't mind having one of these for myself, and I've NEVER been a big fan of the Beretta (at least the M9 series). Best regards--John

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmcanine View Post
    I had the chance a few years ago to run a couple of courses of fire with a Beretta Cx4 Storm and was VERY pleased with the way it handled and shot during some room-clearing excercises. About the only beefs I had at the time was limited magazine capacity, but they have a version that takes 92/M-9 mags now...so you should be able to use some of the aftermarket Hi-cap mags for that issue. I liked the ready-to-go platform for lights and other add-ons too along with the other officers that tried it that day. Only issue that I see right now per your specs would be the price range. I certainly wouldn't mind having one of these for myself, and I've NEVER been a big fan of the Beretta (at least the M9 series). Best regards--John
    As a followup to John's comments the Beretta Cx4 Storm is a very well made and solid carbine and I have a lot of respect for it. But, I have friends who own them and I shoot with them often and shoot the Storm myself often. I on many occasions have embarrassed them and their $700 Beretta with a $200 Hi Point 995. It’s just as accurate and reliable. Certainly not as refined or finished as nicely and its been hit with the ugly stick a few times but it will do everything the Storm will do performance wise. And I am speaking from extensive direct experience with these two carbines not hearsay and rehashed BS I read somewhere. If you said pick one and price was no object certainly I would pick the Storm but with the large difference in price versus performance the HP995 is the better value. And its a plain blast to play with.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

With any 9mm carbine, you will need to pay attention to your ammo selection. JHPs are designed to work (expand) in a very narrow velocity window. The increased velocity you get out of a carbine barrel may cause your JHPs to "blow up" and fragment, resulting in shallow penetration and failure to reach the vitals.

This was an issue with the MP5 sub-gun, and led to the development of the heavier, subsonic 147 gr 9mm loads.

In any case, make sure your ammo will work at the higher velocities you will see with a carbine-length barrel. Of course, if you are just going to plink with it using FMJ ammo, then no worries.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Pirate...well said, and I'd agree with you 100%. I just don't have any experience with the Ket-tec myself so I witheld any comment there. I would like to give one a try sometime to see how I like it too. I've been out of commission since about mid-2006 due to health issues and am trying to get back into the swing of things....lotta catching up to do!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    +1 on the Kel-tec. It is a surprisingly elegant design. Simple and functional. It is so simple, I thought about building myself a copy.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    As a followup to John's comments the Beretta Cx4 Storm is a very well made and solid carbine and I have a lot of respect for it. But, I have friends who own them and I shoot with them often and shoot the Storm myself often. I on many occasions have embarrassed them and their $700 Beretta with a $200 Hi Point 995. It’s just as accurate and reliable. Certainly not as refined or finished as nicely and its been hit with the ugly stick a few times but it will do everything the Storm will do performance wise. And I am speaking from extensive direct experience with these two carbines not hearsay and rehashed BS I read somewhere. If you said pick one and price was no object certainly I would pick the Storm but with the large difference in price versus performance the HP995 is the better value. And its a plain blast to play with.

I never thought I would lust over a Hi-Point. I have to have one now.

EAJ
    Very pleased with the CX4 9mm I purchased a few years back, but regrettably they're a little pricey these days.

Last edited by EAJ; July 30th, 2010 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    What?? Huh??? Where!!??
    I looked, but the only thing I could find was this...

walther_mpl_1.jpg

They make a new carbine in .22lr, but nothing in 9mm so far as I can tell.

I like the TP9. It's a fun gun, the trigger's ok once you clean it up and it runs great with a Trijicon mini RMR. I need to SBR it though to add a stock. They're listed at $1,700, I think, but they were under $1,400 when I picked it up. I've run the 9mm upper on my AR a few times that a buddy owns and it's really enjoyable. He also has a little carbine kit for his Glock 17. he had to SBR the Glock, but it's actually useful. I'll try to get some pics of it and find out the maker. It's not too expensive. Larger mags, optic (always makes it more fun) kit and tax stamp. You can do all of that for under a grand, I believe.

TP-9 - http://www.dsarms.com/BT-TP9-Semi-Au...uctinfo/BTTP9/
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links