Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD? - Page 10

Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD?

This is a discussion on Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you need or have time , for more than 1 or 2 shots in a bad situation, you are probably already dead. If you ...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD?

If you need or have time , for more than 1 or 2 shots in a bad situation, you are probably already dead. If you can't get it done with practice and a 1911, a Glock or HK ain't gonna help you.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    Yes, but it is almost also a sure thing that 90 percent of the people who started shooting 1911's in this thread did so prior to the popularity increase or hell, even invention of Glock. If I need to hit a nail, I don't go find some ornate instrument that is "timeless" to do it. I grab a 10 dollar hammer and get the job done.

Different strokes I spose.
    Right, who are you trying to convince.To me a ornate instrument is to look at, all my weapons are working tools.By the way to save myself, I would use anything I could my hands on. I bet you don't like six shooters, because it not a new desiign.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Right, who are you trying to convince.To me a ornate instrument is to look at, all my weapons are working tools.By the way to save myself, I would use anything I could my hands on. I bet you don't like six shooters, because it not a new desiign.
    Love six shooters, because I feel that they have a place. Especially snubs. The 1911 just does not fill a role in my CC needs, I love their look/feel, but when there are cheaper and simpler modern combat pistols out there I have never seen the need for a 1911. Do I want one, sure. But are there 5-6 other pistols I plan on getting first, most assuredly.

The 1911 is a fine pistol, but most people who solely use 1911's do so because of it being the gun they are used to. I have met very few new shooters who make a 1911 their choice for self protection.

Just my 2 cents.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xpertz1 View Post
    If you need or have time , for more than 1 or 2 shots in a bad situation, you are probably already dead. If you can't get it done with practice and a 1911, a Glock or HK ain't gonna help you.
    This sort of willful ignorance of the realities of life serve only to (poorly) justify a pre-made decision, not as an actual, reasonable BASIS for a decision.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    The 1911 is a fine pistol, but most people who solely use 1911's do so because of it being the gun they are used to. I have met very few new shooters who make a 1911 their choice for self protection.

Just my 2 cents.
    For new shooters, you should shoot some USPSA or IDPA shooting. The young people that shoots didn't think the 1911 was complicated.They work the safety, real easy.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

It's like driving a Infiniti vs Nissan, both are excellent, but ones just a little bit better..... That's how I see it anyway.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    It's like driving a Infiniti vs Nissan, both are excellent, but ones just a little bit better..... That's how I see it anyway.
    True, and the Infinity costs more......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Cause I want to.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Cause I want to.
    BINGO, best answer yet!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

A Kimber 1911 is nice. It is a smooth trigger and a nice shot. Still wouldn't part with my Glock 19 even if I was paid to. And to the comment about how many Glocks go ka-boom...please sir, show some links to statistical data that proves Glocks "go ka-boom".

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    A Kimber 1911 is nice. It is a smooth trigger and a nice shot. Still wouldn't part with my Glock 19 even if I was paid to. And to the comment about how many Glocks go ka-boom...please sir, show some links to statistical data that proves Glocks "go ka-boom".
    Start with this. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=...4cb239d2754d6f Just one thing, all kind of weapons one time or another have screwed up.Most of the time it's the man that shooting, screwed it up. Not trying to start a war. No weapon is foolproof,shooter, reloads, and some factory.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

lol Ok. Now show the clips of 1911's going "ka-boom".

All guns have failures of one kind or another. I will continue to trust my safety (and life) and that of my family's safety to my Lord, my instincts, my military & martial arts training, my Glock and my Rotti. In that particular order.

Like I said, 1911's are nice to shoot at the range. But for a reliable, dependable EDC...my Glock 19. Or my "Annabelle"as she is affectionately known ;)

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    lol Ok. Now show the clips of 1911's going "ka-boom".

All guns have failures of one kind or another. I will continue to trust my safety (and life) and that of my family's safety to my Lord, my instincts, my military & martial arts training, my Glock and my Rotti. In that particular order.

Like I said, 1911's are nice to shoot at the range. But for a reliable, dependable EDC...my Glock 19. Or my "Annabelle"as she is affectionately known ;)
    You fine them, not hard to fine.Your not getting it, all weapons are made by man and shot by man, they well screw up.When some one tells me one type of a weapon is the best there is, and well never screw up, I just smile.I love 1911's, but I also know there is some that is junk. Seen S&W's K,L & N frames blow, for one reason or another.Like I said not trying to start a war.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    1911s are just easier to shoot accurately than Glocks. I belong to a couple of shooting clubs, and the vast majority of the top competitors use 1911s. These guys would shoot a Lorcin or a Desert Eagle if they thought it would give them a competitive edge. I will admit there are a couple of guys shooting Glocks who are really good. 1911s (from a reputable maker with good magazines) are almost as reliable as Glocks, and I suspect if I took out all the safeties except the firing pin safety, and used a feed ramp integral to the barrel , the 1911 would be just as reliable as a Glock. 1911s are generally reliable until someone who doesn't know what they are doing starts messing with them.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Sponsored Links