Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD?

This is a discussion on Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah, but ya don't have to own/drive a Porsche for to long to know how it stacks up or handles comparatively to some o the ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD?

Yeah, but ya don't have to own/drive a Porsche for to long to know how it stacks up or handles comparatively to some o the others out there.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Gee, thanks a lot JD; now I have to worry about zombie dogs from Mars, besides regular zombies

the 1911 is more easily shot by people with small hands. It's rather difficult for me to adapt to my G23, because of my small hands. I can shoot it, but it takes a little more work. A lot more work than touching off the safety of my 1911.

I prefer the 1911. It fits my small hands better. The weight and single action trigger make it real easy to shoot. The character and history are a plus; a little nostalgia and tradition doesn't hurt.

As short of a reset that the Glock has, I'm still faster with my 1911.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I started a thread yesterday about wanting a 1911, and reading this thread just makes me want one even more. I could really kick myself for ever selling the 1911 I had years ago. It bought it used and it wasn't anything fancy, but it just seemed "natural" to shoot. I've never found an autoloader since that I could shoot as well.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

You know what, I have started and stopped responding to this thread several times because I just can't explain the history of the weapon. When I showed it to my dad after it (1911) had been on lay away a year. I swear it took him back to Vietnam, and when I showed to my Grandfather it took him back to WWII. So, as a veteran who trained on the Beretta, the day I squeezed off a mag .45. I felt like I was transported through time.

My 1911 Milspec has been my CCW since 2001 and the finish is worn a little, but I retired it to house duty and purchased a SR9C. Today I picked up the 1911 and wiped it down. The cold steel just melted into my hands and yes, muscle memory. The design is the iconoclast of the gun world. Period, it has defended this country for more years than many of can care to think about. Has won all the medals that we as a country can give a soldier, sailor, airmen or Marine. It's down right American, regardless, of color, race, or socioeconomic status. Just my 2 cents, somebody pass the tissues.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
    You know what, I have started and stopped responding to this thread several times because I just can't explain the history of the weapon. When I showed it to my dad after it (1911) had been on lay away a year. I swear it took him back to Vietnam, and when I showed to my Grandfather it took him back to WWII. So, as a veteran who trained on the Beretta, the day I squeezed off a mag .45. I felt like I was transported through time.

My 1911 Milspec has been my CCW since 2001 and the finish is worn a little, but I retired it to house duty and purchased a SR9C. Today I picked up the 1911 and wiped it down. The cold steel just melted into my hands and yes, muscle memory. The design is the iconoclast of the gun world. Period, it has defended this country for more years than many of can care to think about. Has won all the medals that we as a country can give a soldier, sailor, airmen or Marine. It's down right American, regardless, of color, race, or socioeconomic status. Just my 2 cents, somebody pass the tissues.
    It is all you said... AND it's the best sidearm ever. I have a custom retro piece being built (I've been waiting for about 2 years...), but I've been carrying my 1977 GM around lately, and it's not in any way wanting. I posted this pic in another thread, but what the heck, I'll give the naysayers a good look at some blued steel and ironwood...

Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

kpw
    3 reasons why I don't carry a 1911. Weight...it does bother me after a long day and gear doesn't fix it. Caliber...I love the .45 but I like to shoot what I carry a lot and .45 doesn't fit that budget. I don't like 9mm 1911s. Last but most important, I shoot my G19 better than any 1911 I've ever owned or shot and I ain't talking about shooting bullseyes.

Obviously, my reasons don't apply to everyone else and if the 1911 fits their needs to a T, then it's a darn good choice. Same can said of any model made. I'll own another 1911...and another...and...but I doubt they will see much time on my hip. That role is well filled.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Did you really need to start a thread to figure this out?

It all ready sounds like you know how this will pan out:

You all ready had one and got rid of it, you don't think it will out perform your Glock(s), and you don't want a safe queen...

...so don't buy one.

If you're genuinely curious, go to a range with your shot timer, bring a friend with a 1911 like you want, or find a place that rents them and test your theories, just don't let a bunch of strangers tell you what's best for you, go find out for yourself.
    JD your replies are negative. It's odd / funny / sick that the "moderator" has less civil responses than the other forum members, it's like having a bad cop.

I started a thread to get information / opinions, (that is the purpose of a forum) some replies have been more useful than others.

I do not have friends that shoot. My wife is my friend but doesn't really help.
    There are no rental ranges here.
    I shoot in my backyard.
    I had a Kimber CDP about 3 years ago; I got the shot timer two months ago.
    I'm going to "test" my Officers in the morning with the timer, should be interesting. I have not shot the pistol in 10 years or more, so I'll "warm up" with it first. Performance should be indicative of comparable pistols.
    The Ehanced Officers could make a nice carry pistol, but it would need night sights. Since they are discontinued I'm reluctant to put much wear (or any modifications) on it; I'm passing it onto my boys in the future.
    Thanks to those that have offered legitimate responses.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I can't think of any reason you would want to buy a Kimber CDP or comparable, as you obviously like the Glocks better. I could come up with a number of reasons why 1911s are more desirable than another Glock, but it would not make any difference to you, as your mind is made up.

What I can't figure out is why you started this thread. I would not start a thread about why would someone buy and carry a Glock over some other gun, as the Glock's grip is too blocky for my small hands, causing it to shift after every shot and the bumps on the front of the grip don't align with my fingers (although I hear that the new frames have interchangeable back straps - still doesn't fix the front of the grip, though). Did you want people to talk you out of buying another 1911? Or did you want someone to talk you out of buying another Glock? The reasons people carry 1911s have been posted many times, just like the reasons people carry Glocks has been posted many times. Is the search function not working yet?

If you just think that Glocks are superior in every way to 1911s, then make that part of your signature. Or just be silently smug.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    JD your replies are negative. It's odd / funny / sick that the "moderator" has less civil responses than the other forum members, it's like having a bad cop.

I started a thread to get information / opinions, (that is the purpose of a forum) some replies have been more useful than others.

I do not have friends that shoot. My wife is my friend but doesn't really help.
    There are no rental ranges here.
    I shoot in my backyard.
    I had a Kimber CDP about 3 years ago; I got the shot timer two months ago.
    I'm going to "test" my Officers in the morning with the timer, should be interesting. I have not shot the pistol in 10 years or more, so I'll "warm up" with it first. Performance should be indicative of comparable pistols.
    The Ehanced Officers could make a nice carry pistol, but it would need night sights. Since they are discontinued I'm reluctant to put much wear (or any modifications) on it; I'm passing it onto my boys in the future.
    Thanks to those that have offered legitimate responses.
    We're allowed to slip our collars every now and then, our billets here do not prohibit us from speaking our minds provided we stay within the confines of the forum rules. Bad cop? Oh I wish Bumper would let me be the evil moderator once a month, oh the headaches we could avoid...

You're no noob (or at least you don't seem like one), you have a 1911 in your possession to compare to the other models and what I said needed to be said. Not all directed at you, but in general.

I DO agree that altering your Officers model is just wrong. And that running your Colt on the timer is a step in the right direction to learning what you want to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    NO You NEED to try them both.

AGAIN, you NEED to carry these guns for yourself and for more than 30 seconds at the local shop.. You are looking at it all wrong. The thickest point is the thickest point, but there's a WHOLE lot more to it than that. You NEED to go out and buy a few more guns and actually carry them before you state things that you're not even sure of.

NO, that's not the case at all. Have you ever even put a full size 1911 in a holster? and I don't mean carrying your Glock around your house in your waistband, I mean a real holster and I mean outside of your home. Even if it is slightly longer, it tapers differently at the bottom. It's not blocky at the bottom, the grips curve slightly inward and if you use a Wilson 47D with a slim basepad, it actually rounds the bottom off a bit. I carried a 23 for a while and it concealed fine (so does my Sig 226 and 229 with 18 round mags), but the 1911 conceals better. The 1911 is thinner and with the rigth holster, will hug your body tighter and just ride better.

Before you answer back about this stuff, please think about it first or run out and get a few more guns, carry them and report back in a week or two.

To the OP...

If you train with a 1911 for even the shortest time...and I mean train, not shoot at a basic indoor range... the safety becomes a part of the draw. I shoot my Sigs a lot lately and really enjoy them. I have a number of HKs, I've owned a good number of Glocks and M&Ps with a lot of carry time and many 10's of thousands of rounds through those platforms. I really do like them and will probably continue to buy other guns. But...the 1911 is the fastest gun for me to shoot accurately from the draw (I've trained with all, not just gave it a try once or twice - big difference). I can work the reset like nothing else and I get a perfect draw pretty much every time. With the Sigs or a Glock, I still get a near perfect draw, but not AS perfect as my 1911's.

My grip is very tight. I run my thumbs forward and on top of the safety. My support hand is canted forward about 45, but locked forward, not just rested there. This locks the gun in place and you have much less muzzle flip during recoil and near perfect return to the point where I can run a full mag at 7 yards with y eyes closed and keep them all in within the 8 or 9 ring (obviously after getting a good sight picture). Again, my grip is very tight. This is where I notice something during dry fire that will affect my shooting. For example, I'll dry fire, hold the trigger to the rear and rack the slide. Now, with my sights lined up, I'll reset the trigger and dry fire again. The 1911 does not move at all. If I try this with any of my Sigs, which I do every day, it is not as easy to do the same thing and that with the thin trigger and the SRT (Short Reset Trigger). Same with the Glock. i'm not saying it goes flailing all over the place, but there's a slight shake. My 1911's don't show any shake at all.

There is currently no 45 auto on the market that I can run as fast as the 1911 accurately from the holster. Now, I can have my 1911's how ever I want. If I want my thumb safety to roll a few more degrees down on the left side, no problem. If I want my grip safety to get me even higher to the bore axis, pretty simple. If I want the return spring to be more forceful or very light, it's no issue.

I know that some people will ask themselves why would you want less bullets?? I can understand that and I like carry my 226 or 229 with 19 rounds in the gun (or 21 if I carry the Blackwater). But it doesn't make either one the better choice for everyone. When I train and in the classes I've been to, they usually teach you to shoot the BG to the ground. That can take 4 or 5 rounds. If there's 3 or 4 BG's, I could see how that's a concern. luckily, there's very few instances where you need to engage that many people....without a carbine. Once you practice proper reloads, and I do daily, you get a lot more comfortable. 9 rounds is not limiting if you know how to shoot, how to move, how to reload, etc. I have a Mark 23 and USP Tactical with 12 round mags, an HK45 with five 10 round mags, soon will pick up a 21 with a number of 13 round mags and probably an M&P in 45 soon as well. I'll still carry the 1911, even if open carry magically happens here overnight.

I'm not a basher of any decent platform, but I do know after well over 100,000 rounds in the past 5 or so years alone what works best for me during classes, competition, training and concealed carry. I love more rounds, as many as I can carry. Right now my HD gun is a 226, but my main HD gun is a SCAR and a soon-to-be 12" LMT. The 1911 trade off is worth it for me because of what I can do with the platform over the others, especially from odd positions, firing with my support hand, from a car window, while moving in different directions, etc. At the range, they all work fine. The smallest of advantages can make all the difference.

So, before you judge ANY platform, be sure to have a serious number of rounds through it, carry it if possible and run it in a class. If all you do is give it a quick 100 round spin at the range, all that tells you if you like it is that it's ready to be given a serious run. if you don;t like it (not just don't understand it's advantage, but seriously don't like it at all), then you can check that one off the list.

Or....what he said if you don't feel like reading my above ramblings!
    I think jonconsiglio has said all there needs to be said about this subject. I agree and ask the bashers how long have you own, shot, trained with a 1911. What kind or quality was it as well. I have access to my girls G23 which she uses and I occasionally and have to admit it's an awesome weapon system. If I had a choice between my 1911 pistols which run reliably and the G23 in a gun fight where there's well armed individual(s) I'm going to have to pick one of my 1911's even though the G23 will get the job done. Not likely but if I have to take a shot 25 yards or farther it no contest. I carry both the pistols in my avatar in and MTAC with ease and they both conceal extremely well and carry very comfortably.

Come on guys, after thinking about this and reading all this several times, I think we are being a little hard. The guy just started a thread, asked a question, that IS what this is all about here at DC. Not everybody is lucky enough to have people around them to supply a wealth of knowledge, that is why we come here. We need to stick together not fight amongst ourselves. If somebody does not like what another member posts, don't read it, move on to the next one. Maybe we need to add a couple more sub-forums, that way the people that get tired of hearing about one gun or another can stay clear and those of us that love them can talk all we want. This is not the only thread that has ever been posted on DC that maybe some thought did not make sense, or wondered why it was posted to start with. Not everybody has 20,000 posts, endless gun ranges, guns and years of carry experiance. Some on here will respond to anything, just to increase post count and some post what they think is a resonable question or answer, maybe not to all but it is to the OP or poster. I don't think we should behead or stone each other over a post or a thread. I say lock this thread out MODS and let's move on. JMHO......

Quote Originally Posted by TJK68 View Post
    Come on guys, after thinking about this and reading all this several times, I think we are being a little hard. The guy just started a thread, asked a question, that IS what this is all about here at DC. Not everybody is lucky enough to have people around them to supply a wealth of knowledge, that is why we come here. We need to stick together not fight amongst ourselves. If somebody does not like what another member posts, don't read it, move on to the next one. Maybe we need to add a couple more sub-forums, that way the people that get tired of hearing about one gun or another can stay clear and those of us that love them can talk all we want. This is not the only thread that has ever been posted on DC that maybe some thought did not make sense, or wondered why it was posted to start with. Not everybody has 20,000 posts, endless gun ranges, guns and years of carry experiance. Some on here will respond to anything, just to increase post count and some post what they think is a resonable question or answer, maybe not to all but it is to the OP or poster. I don't think we should behead or stone each other over a post or a thread. I say lock this thread out MODS and let's move on. JMHO......
    +1

I never understood why people in a forum get so upset when (God forbid) someone brings up an issue that's already been discussed or maybe they don't agree with... After all by definition, a forum is supposed to be a medium for open discussion and expression of ideas.

If you don't want to talk about something, you don't have to open the thread and put your two cents in... Seems pretty simple to me.

And that's my two cents! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy9TA View Post
    +1

I never understood why people in a forum get so upset when (God forbid) someone brings up an issue that's already been discussed or maybe they don't agree with... After all by definition, a forum is supposed to be a medium for open discussion and expression of ideas.

If you don't want to talk about something, you don't have to open the thread and put your two cents in... Seems pretty simple to me.

And that's my two cents! :-)
    ^^^^What he said^^^^

As far as the question, I can see the ups AND downs of owning and operating a 1911. Personal preference at the end of the day. Heck, I carry a 7+1 shot 9mm in my front pocket some days. There are some out there who would call me ill prepared because my gun isnt holding 10 or better. To each his own or YMMV(however you want to say it).
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    3 reasons why I don't carry a 1911. Weight...it does bother me after a long day and gear doesn't fix it. Caliber...I love the .45 but I like to shoot what I carry a lot and .45 doesn't fit that budget. I don't like 9mm 1911s. Last but most important, I shoot my G19 better than any 1911 I've ever owned or shot and I ain't talking about shooting bullseyes.

Obviously, my reasons don't apply to everyone else and if the 1911 fits their needs to a T, then it's a darn good choice. Same can said of any model made. I'll own another 1911...and another...and...but I doubt they will see much time on my hip. That role is well filled.
    I carried a G19 for a while myself so I know where you're coming from. I never did shoot my 1911 as quickly with followup shots. With time though the 1911 grew on me and I found ways to adjust my grip, stance, and trigger control so that now I shoot my 1911 better than anything. Some people are used to one system and would rather use what works than change for the sake of shooting a different gun well. That's fine because a Glock, XD, M&P, Sig, or any other manufacturer of good standard is going to get the job done in the hands of someone familiar with it. I do think every collection should include a 1911, but I also understand that some people are very practical. They might only own a couple guns. Maybe one to carry and one for the home. To someone like this, a gun they are only going to own for the collection and for range use might not be a good use of funds. I do also understand very well that some 1911s can be pricey. That's a big turn off for a lot of people. I think more so than the relatively low round count by today's standards, the weight, and the maintenance schedule. To many, and I can understand it, a gun that is $500 such as a Glock or similar will do just as well as a $2k 1911. There's those of us who would and do buy $2k+ guns because we understand the quality of them beyond just hurling bullets down the range. There's those of us who just don't see it and refuse to spend that much. There's those of us who have heard many stories of one brand or another 1911 being unreliable and having to get it worked on and break-in time etc. Someone who hasn't owned a 1911 but reads these stories might be turned off by them and thus wouldn't purchase a 1911 based on those posts. We all know that you get more negative reports of any manufacturer than good but there are likely 5 happy owners for every 1 unhappy. Yet someone might take the posts as an indication of poor design, old design, poor quality across the board, whatever. Without trying one personally from a good manufacturer with good magazines, they wouldn't know if they are true and may simply take the negative comments at face value. We should strive to understand all sides I guess.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I carried a G19 for a while myself so I know where you're coming from. I never did shoot my 1911 as quickly with followup shots. With time though the 1911 grew on me and I found ways to adjust my grip, stance, and trigger control so that now I shoot my 1911 better than anything. Some people are used to one system and would rather use what works than change for the sake of shooting a different gun well.........
    Hey....never said I couldn't shoot a 1911 well.

I know what your saying but I've owned a number of 1911s and do have a fair amount of experience with them. They are first rate when it comes to trigger, accuracy & ergos. There are only a couple of things that keep them from being my first choice. Those that I listed.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links