Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD?

This is a discussion on Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JD .......sure we have many fans of the 1911 platform but no one's saying the 1911 is the one and only. Even ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    .......sure we have many fans of the 1911 platform but no one's saying the 1911 is the one and only. Even OD who is probably one of the most fanatical ....
    MOI?!?

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 007BondJames View Post
    Because Glocks are ugly. Joking aside I shoot the Kimber better.

Glocks are a bit different in looks, but I've never seen a 1911 go KABOOM like the Glocks have, but either way, I DO carry both guns, (and a LOT OF OTHER TYPES too) but the 1911 fits better in my hands than the Glock. I also like the ability to carry the 1911 in condition one (cocked and locked) than an empty chamber on the Glock, as it's striker fired., but we can go round and round about that option all day long, as it's a personal preferance.
    On ANOTHER NOTE, when I show several handguns to a potential Customer, I TRY to tell them all the ins and outs of each product, I'm NO expert, but I've been CCing about 35 yrs now, carried a LOT of handguns in my time (maybe TOO many, and YES I've re-bought many models over again, just because I couldn't decide) The ONE thing I DO tell my Customers, is "buy the handgun that FITS your hands MOST comfortably" Train with it as much as possible, BUT make sure it feels comfortable in your hands, whether it's a Glock, H&K, Taurus, Ruger, 1911 type, etc. Decisions to purchase must be made on the a personal need basis. Just my .02 worth
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Hey....never said I couldn't shoot a 1911 well.

I know what your saying but I've owned a number of 1911s and do have a fair amount of experience with them. They are first rate when it comes to trigger, accuracy & ergos. There are only a couple of things that keep them from being my first choice. Those that I listed.
    Nah I didn't mean that. For me though I shot the 9mm G19 very well and thought "Man this 1911 has a nice trigger but I can't get followup shots worth a crap and it feels heavy on my arms." Then I adjusted a few things and watched a few instructional videos and tried to work on different things to see if it helped. Some things did help and with time I got more familiar with the 1911 and finally shot it better than my G19. Likely due to the time I put into it vs my G19 though. So it sort of grew on me. I gave the G19 to my father and purchased a G23 which I carry occationally on days that my 1911 would be a bit much to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Glocks are a bit different in looks, but I've never seen a 1911 go KABOOM like the Glocks have, but either way, I DO carry both guns, (and a LOT OF OTHER TYPES too) but the 1911 fits better in my hands than the Glock. I also like the ability to carry the 1911 in condition one (cocked and locked) than an empty chamber on the Glock, as it's striker fired., but we can go round and round about that option all day long, as it's a personal preferance.
    On ANOTHER NOTE, when I show several handguns to a potential Customer, I TRY to tell them all the ins and outs of each product, I'm NO expert, but I've been CCing about 35 yrs now, carried a LOT of handguns in my time (maybe TOO many, and YES I've re-bought many models over again, just because I couldn't decide) The ONE thing I DO tell my Customers, is "buy the handgun that FITS your hands MOST comfortably" Train with it as much as possible, BUT make sure it feels comfortable in your hands, whether it's a Glock, H&K, Taurus, Ruger, 1911 type, etc. Decisions to purchase must be made on the a personal need basis. Just my .02 worth
    Now I don't mean to call you out or anything so please don't take it that way but I have to clear this up here...

With your long experience carrying and shooting firearms why would a Glock need to be carried with an empty chamber? Isn't that lack of dicipline and training that causes that reaction to the Glock's lack of an external safety lever? I purchased a Glock as my first handgun and I never carried it empty. I'm just unsure exactly what you're getting at. Maybe I missed your meaning.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I just switched my everyday carry from an ultra carry ii to a glock 19. Double the capacity, same size.

I guess I've converted... Even though i still LOVE my 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    I can't think of any reason you would want to buy a Kimber CDP or comparable, as you obviously like the Glocks better. I could come up with a number of reasons why 1911s are more desirable than another Glock, but it would not make any difference to you, as your mind is made up.

What I can't figure out is why you started this thread. I would not start a thread about why would someone buy and carry a Glock over some other gun, as the Glock's grip is too blocky for my small hands, causing it to shift after every shot and the bumps on the front of the grip don't align with my fingers (although I hear that the new frames have interchangeable back straps - still doesn't fix the front of the grip, though). Did you want people to talk you out of buying another 1911? Or did you want someone to talk you out of buying another Glock? The reasons people carry 1911s have been posted many times, just like the reasons people carry Glocks has been posted many times. Is the search function not working yet?

If you just think that Glocks are superior in every way to 1911s, then make that part of your signature. Or just be silently smug.
    Is the search funuction working? I asked a specific question which may or may not have been addressed in prior threads. As we can see, threads easily veer off course. Ne people join the forum. Not everyone who is a member replies to a thread for whatever reason. Most questions have likely been addressed before. How boring if everone just searched the old resonnses and see if something applied. There is a back arrow as well as a search feature.
    Yea, I had a signature that was: Glock > XD > 1911 > DA/SA. I did not have a signature for over a year since joining the forum, finally thought of one a few days ago. How is that silently smug?
    You can see the signature has been changed.

Quote Originally Posted by TJK68 View Post
    Come on guys, after thinking about this and reading all this several times, I think we are being a little hard. The guy just started a thread, asked a question, that IS what this is all about here at DC. Not everybody is lucky enough to have people around them to supply a wealth of knowledge, that is why we come here. We need to stick together not fight amongst ourselves. If somebody does not like what another member posts, don't read it, move on to the next one. Maybe we need to add a couple more sub-forums, that way the people that get tired of hearing about one gun or another can stay clear and those of us that love them can talk all we want. This is not the only thread that has ever been posted on DC that maybe some thought did not make sense, or wondered why it was posted to start with. Not everybody has 20,000 posts, endless gun ranges, guns and years of carry experiance. Some on here will respond to anything, just to increase post count and some post what they think is a resonable question or answer, maybe not to all but it is to the OP or poster. I don't think we should behead or stone each other over a post or a thread. I say lock this thread out MODS and let's move on. JMHO......
    Thanks for your comments. I'm glad the thread wasn't locked or I couldn't have given a current reply.

Obviously I was biased toward the Glock & XD. I had not shot a 1911 pistol in over 10 years. I traded away the CDP because I thought Glocks were better. I did not have a timer at that time. I had decided cocked & locked was not the "best" system. I kept the Officers as a collectors gun, as well as a Lightweight Enhanced Commander; one for each of my kids. I had not shot either of them in over 10 years because I never carry them.
    I keep seeing people who perfer the 1911 and I figure it's because they either like the grip, apperciate it's historic appeal, want a 45, or just think it's better because of materials / design.
    I'm not one to select a carry pistol for "historic value" or solely on looks. I want lightweight, maxium 5'' height, and the ability to deliver fast accurate folow up shots.
    I did assume the 1911 Colt Officers would take a backseat to the Glock for no other reason than the 45 acp kicks harder than a 9mm. I like a big bullet, but I also like accurate, quick follow up shots.
    I also thought I would "pop off" a 2nd shot unintentionally with the 1911 trigger since I'm accustomed to Glocks.

Prior to this thread, I had no intention of packing anything other than a Glock or XD and simply wondered why others chose the 1911 given the typical reduction in capacity and perceived recoil.
    As promised, I took the Officers, as well as the Commander, out for my little test with the timer, and 6'' circle placed 18 feet away. (I did field strip and lubricate prior to shooting)
    I used Federal 230 gr. FMJ and Federal 185 JHP. The 230 gr. ammunition was better regulated with the sights.
    To my utter surprise the Commander averaged .32 for "qualifying" hits even though it's trigger is HEAVY for a 1911.
    The Officers matched the time with an identical .32 average for 10 qualifying pairs (The pair of shots qualify if both hit the 6'' circle at 18 feet). I did have more "disqualifications" with the Officers and the Commander seemed easier to keep on target despite the identical time.
    My concern of accidently popping off a 2nd round inadverently was unfounded, never happened.
    The Lightweight Commanders performance was impressive considering the 45 chambering. It was VERY close to the average time of .29 for my Glock 19 and the accuracy + "disqualifications" was a match.
    I think the Commander was more accurate / seemed easier to keep on target due to the longer slide and increased sight radius.
    I think the Kimber CDP with it's 4'' barrel would (should) perform as well as the Commander.
    After shooting I cleaned up the pistols and put then back into the safe.
    I'm seriously considering getting another CDP. I can't believe it, never would have thought it.

I'm not the only one on this thread that didn't know as much as I thought I did.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Good... Personally, I'd stick with true 4.25 Commanders and not the 4" bull barrels. I've owned a number of each and I feel more comfortable with the Commanders.

It's good to see you shooting 45 times on par with the 9mm. For me, even if there is a little more felt recoil, it really doesn't affect anything when it comes down to times.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    JD - actually, plenty of people DO say (in so many words) that it's the only "real" gun out there. It's relatively rare on this forum, but it still happens. How many "I'll carry any caliber as long as it starts with 4" or "because the don't make a .46" or - in this very thread - "for those who know what they're doing" posts do you see? I see quite a few, myself...

In all honesty, the arrogance and condescension of SOME 1911 owners have turned me off of the platform FAR MORE than whatever inherent limitations the platform may have.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Nah I didn't mean that. For me though I shot the 9mm G19 very well and thought "Man this 1911 has a nice trigger but I can't get followup shots worth a crap and it feels heavy on my arms." Then I adjusted a few things and watched a few instructional videos and tried to work on different things to see if it helped. Some things did help and with time I got more familiar with the 1911 and finally shot it better than my G19. Likely due to the time I put into it vs my G19 though. So it sort of grew on me. I gave the G19 to my father and purchased a G23 which I carry occationally on days that my 1911 would be a bit much to hide.

Now I don't mean to call you out or anything so please don't take it that way but I have to clear this up here...

With your long experience carrying and shooting firearms why would a Glock need to be carried with an empty chamber? Isn't that lack of dicipline and training that causes that reaction to the Glock's lack of an external safety lever? I purchased a Glock as my first handgun and I never carried it empty. I'm just unsure exactly what you're getting at. Maybe I missed your meaning.
    I know you're not calling me out on my statement about one in the pipe, Two words here ......Personal Preference.. I STILL carry a 23, 26, 27, and a 29 I've known Boston PD guys, who were "trained and diciplined" enough to take off their right cheek when drawing their G19 or G17. Why? because they had their finger in the trigger guard while drawing their weapon (they once carried S&W model 10s and were accustomed to having their fingers in the trigger guard) But then again, that's now in a different universe. Myself, I am diciplined enough to draw my weapon, and chamber a round into it without hesitation. it's all about training and disipline now itsn't it? It's also knowing the strong and weak points of the weapon you're carrying. I carry a round in the chamber for my H&Ks, Berettas< 1911s, Sigs, etc. I just have an avoidence for one in the pipe with a striker fired gun, (the glock) with the exeption of the SA XD guns which have the grip safety as a secondery safety.
    Yup I'm a 1911 guy and a lot more too. Tonight, I bought another Colt US property marked USGI 1911 made 1918 for about 550.00 it's all there but need to change the trigger and mainspring housing back to GI parts (no big deal)
    But Noooooo I'm not biased LOL
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    JD - actually, plenty of people DO say (in so many words) that it's the only "real" gun out there. It's relatively rare on this forum, but it still happens. How many "I'll carry any caliber as long as it starts with 4" or "because the don't make a .46" or - in this very thread - "for those who know what they're doing" posts do you see? I see quite a few, myself...

In all honesty, the arrogance and condescension of SOME 1911 owners have turned me off of the platform FAR MORE than whatever inherent limitations the platform may have.
    True, but it's either supposed to be funny or it's just posturing, fanboys of every brand do it. The 1911 has just had more time build a larger base. Either way I tend to just laugh at it and move on. Like I said before, I'd rather someone try it (like you did here: The 1911 and Me - An Apostate of the Cult of JMB Bares All) and make their own decisions based on actual results...like comparing split times etc to whatever other gun they have and leave all the internet hoopla to those that have to rely on it to make their points.

The whole "for those that know what they're doing" is 50/50. Sure some units still use 1911s but it's mainly Sig, Glock, and HK and of course, Beretta are doing the heavy lifting as far as duty pistols go. As I've said myself, if I could choose my combat sidearm where I was limited to FMJ it would be the Glock 21SF. While the Marines, FBI HRT, LAPD SWAT & SIS, and a couple other entities here and there use the 1911 that doesn't make it all that a bag of chips. Also, regarding "posters" etc, nothing against the guy but I'd have trouble taking advice from a guy using 007bondjames as a screen name.

Some find it easier to cc a 1911 then a semi-compact glock. Comes down to how you like it to ride, like boxers or briefs, well guess there is always the 3rd option.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD?
    You know............the 1911 still has a place in my heart that nothing else will ever fill. I've had a couple since the Marine Corps days and what I basically grew up on and was trained with. I personally think it's a sin that our troops are issued anything less these days. No matter what I have at my disposal now, I always have that yearn for the same solid steel feel I once had with the 1911 pistol. A lot of things have changed since those times in my life, but I can still see the reasons why anyone would prefer a GI issue 1911 pistol over all else. One of these days....I'll be back home with one of my own.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Some find it easier to cc a 1911 then a semi-compact glock. Comes down to how you like it to ride, like boxers or briefs, well guess there is always the 3rd option.
    Nope, 4...I like boxer-briefs myself!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Nope, 4...I like boxer-briefs myself!
    So....is that the equivelant to a polymer, striker fired 1911?!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Better trigger to start off with. However I would venture to guess a lot of people carry a 1911 because that's what they shoot the best.
    ^^^
    This

I think of myself of a OK shooter. My 1911 makes me a great shooter. Don't even need any sights to put the bullets on target.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

For me it's ergonomics (albeit subjective), a preference for a safety, the light and consistent SA trigger and my belief that statistics show that 8 rounds will likely be enough (15 if you count the reload). I carry officer sized 1911s 90% of the time and only change when I need something even more concealable (i.e. my Kahr PM9). All that aside, I have carried polymer guns (4" XD, PPS, PF9 and lately a subcompact Sig P250) and agree that each has it's merits. Bottom line is one should carry what is reliable and comforting (vice comfortable) to them.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links