Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD?

Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD?

This is a discussion on Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why do people chose to carry a 1911 style pistol over a Glock or XD? I had a good pacakable 1911 pistol, a Kinber CDP ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD?

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

Question Why carry a 1911 over a Glock or XD?

Why do people chose to carry a 1911 style pistol over a Glock or XD?

I had a good pacakable 1911 pistol, a Kinber CDP compact; it had night sights, "Officers" lightweight frame, 4'' barrel, looked great, and was reliable.

However, compared to a comparable size (or smaller) Glock or XD it had (has) less capacity and you have to manually disengage a safety before firing. The Glock and XD offer the simplicity of a revolver in that you do not have to disengage a safety before shooting.

I have pictures of my safe queen Enhanced Officers model with a XDsc 40, Glock 27 (with Pearce pinky magazine extension), and Glock 23.

The Officers is larger than the XDsc and 27. The XDsc and 27 offer 2 more rounds and a comparable sight radius.

The Officers is very close in size to the Glock 23, overall height is equal at 5''; but, it (Officers) gives up considerable capacity with a 7 + 1 versus 13 + 1 difference.

Why do people chose the 1911 over other options that are just as reliable, offer greater capacity, have a consistent trigger, weigh about the same, ect...? I'm serious.

What would I gain by purchasing another Kimber CDP (or comparable 1911) and packing it over the Glock 27 or 23?

XDsc27231911.jpgXDsc272319112.jpgXDsc272319113.jpg
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I guess it comes down to a matter of preference. The 1911 offers a slimmer frame, making it more concealable but as you mentioned, you get less rounds. I used to carry a 1911 but switched to a Glock 19. I like having more rounds but even more so, I like not having to worry about banging the Glock around the machine shop all day. My 1911 rusted after carrying it for a year and I had to refinish it. My Glock has been carried for a year now and shows no signs of anything but holster wear. I like both guns but carry the Glock as my EDC.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Better trigger to start off with. However I would venture to guess a lot of people carry a 1911 because that's what they shoot the best.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Nosler Guy View Post
    I guess it comes down to a matter of preference. The 1911 offers a slimmer frame, making it more concealable but as you mentioned, you get less rounds. I used to carry a 1911 but switched to a Glock 19. I like having more rounds but even more so, I like not having to worry about banging the Glock around the machine shop all day. My 1911 rusted after carrying it for a year and I had to refinish it. My Glock has been carried for a year now and shows no signs of anything but holster wear. I like both guns but carry the Glock as my EDC.
    But an 8+1 1911, has a longer grip height...which also makes it...less concealable under certain circumstances. for a height shorter than a Glock you are usually going to have to go to 7+1
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

Just because one gun is "very close" to being as thin as another, when it comes to concealing, that "very close" could be the difference between comfortably concealing and a pain in the neck (or back, or butt).

It doesn't take much at all to make something print and if you still want a large bore caliber in as compact of a package as you can get a lot of people choose a 1911 style firearm. I know I have.

And, as stated, it's preference. Some PREFER to have a safety to disengage. They don't think of it as a draw back but as a plus to their carry gun.

I can't tell you how many customers I have had who come in and say, "My gun must have an external safety." Well, then, there goes your Glock out the window. Sure there are some XD models that have external safeties now but preferences go a LONG way.

Not to mention that some people demand that their gun be made of all metal. The SEVERELY limits your options as the number of manufacturers that produce all metal firearms is getting smaller and smaller.

I know that to someone who has accepted safety-less, polymer framed, high cap guns as the best of the best it seems silly for people to want heavier, lower capacity, and safety-laden firearms but it's an individual choice, just like when someone decides to drive a Hummer instead of a Prius.

Aside from generally superior ergonomics, my 5" steel 1911's conceal better, and carry more comfortably, than my Glock 19's, which are superlative in their own right. They're just heavier, but that's totally negated by good carry gear. Since I'm not carrying around a bunch of other combat gear, the extra ounces in the 1911 don't even approach significance.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    because some people are more comfortable with the 1911 platform and that makes it the best gun possible for them.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

You hear people talk about a gun that naturally fits their hand. Well for me, that gun is the 5" 1911. I don't know why, but it just does.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

It comes down to choice and what you feel comfortable with. As Rollo stated it is what I shoot best, and nothing has a trigger like a 1911. True you may have twice the rounds but it is a double stack mag in your Glock, the 1911 is thin with it's single stack mag. I don't have any trouble concealing my full size or my commander size 1911's. I like Glocks and M&P's, great firearms. To each his own, but for me I am a 1911 guy. Just my choice.

i'm sorry but besides thinner, how is a 5" 1911 more comfortable and concealable? the longer, has a larger grip (hardest part to conceal) and is only a hair thinner than a G19
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Simple answer, I don’t care for plastic guns. I shoot my 1911s far better than anything else I have; magazine capacity is nice but it you can’t hit what your aiming at it is meaningless.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    i'm sorry but besides thinner, how is a 5" 1911 more comfortable and concealable? the longer, has a larger grip (hardest part to conceal) and is only a hair thinner than a G19
    Like I said I have carried for over 15 years, all types of pistols and to me it is comfortable, maybe you should try it before you knock it. LOL.... Just like any other pistol the right holster and belt makes all the difference.

Because Glocks are ugly. Joking aside I shoot the Kimber better.

Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

VIP Member
    I know I make all my most serious life and death decisions based on "De-motivational" posters...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    You cant the 1911 on an angle. I hide one under a tee shirt and shorts. You get use yo it. A firearm is suppose comforting not comfortable.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links