Night Sights question

This is a discussion on Night Sights question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read an interesting article once on Night Sights and real shootings. Interviews of police and civilians who had actually been in a shooting at ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night Sights question

I read an interesting article once on Night Sights and real shootings. Interviews of police and civilians who had actually been in a shooting at night. They all said, the most they could do - if that - was to lay the front sight somewhere on the mass of the target. No time to really aim with lining up the rears. So, it sounds like bigger is better on the front if you're going to use them. Think of a 2 second event. No time for complicated anything.
    Last edited by hamlet; July 31st, 2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    I cannot tell the difference between SigLites & Meprolites. Therefore, assuming yours are functioning properly, I do not think you would notice an appreciable difference. IMO
    Thanks. That is what I needed to know.

My SIG nite-sights are getting dim...(bought new about 11 years ago)...my replacement sights will be TRUGLO Tritium Fiber Optics.

+1 on the recommendation for additional training (especially in low-light shooting)...TFOs "shine" in that environment...in a good way.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by mattdillon View Post
    Ok, this is a newbie question, but I am going to ask anyway. My Sig P226 has the SIG Nite Sights (the white dots that turn green at night or low light- ok you knew that already). Would the Meprolight sights make an improvement on that? Just curious. Thanks.
    I have a P229, SCT with nite sites and that green tube up front. In day light they are GREAT! In total darkness I can see them quit well also.
    But at my local indoor range they SUCK! In the indoor lighting (dim) they are so poor I'm looking for something too.
    I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see the replies.

Thanks for asking the question.

Lateck,

Sponsor

sights

Quote Originally Posted by Lateck View Post
    I have a P229, SCT with nite sites and that green tube up front. In day light they are GREAT! In total darkness I can see them quit well also.
    But at my local indoor range they SUCK! In the indoor lighting (dim) they are so poor I'm looking for something too.
    I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see the replies.

Thanks for asking the question.

Lateck,
    Hello there, maybe I'm late to the discussion , in any case here is my input:

This is my latest custom sights, Green and orange, it's Glow-on super phosphorescent non radioactive.
    Is easy to apply and is weather resistant, of course there are other options, red dots, tritium, whatever.

In any case: the green is the night sight pigment, the orange is luminescent but is better for day, it charges in a fraction of a

Check this post:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-night-sights
    link
    Go with the glow

I have used pretty much all the top named night sights at one time or another. What I have found is there is always a trade off. The nights sights during the day is nothing more than a white or off white dot, while at night they light and glow, either green , orange or whatever color you have chosen. The problem with this is the white dot gets washed out during day time shooting. It is harder for the eye to pick up the white dot instead of something brighter in more contrast to the surrounding area. The older you are the more this is an issue.
    The solution for me was the TFO sights. This is your traditional night sight combined with fiber optics to make the ultimate day/night sight available. During the day it literally looks like there bust be a actual led bulb in the sight itself, these things light up nice and bright due to the fiber optic tubes. Then at night they glow like a traditional night sight. But they are by far the brightest night sight I have ever used. I remember the first night I looked over and saw my G23 on the night stand, actually it was totally dark in the room so I didn't see the weapon, but the night sights. I had the package they came in sitting next to the gun. I was actually able to read the words on the pkg using the rear sights. I am not having them installed on all my carry guns. I use the green rear with orange front. The contrasting colors really helps in aquiring the front sight compared to the rears. When they first came out they had some problems with the front sight tubes falling out or coming loose. Nothing a little epoxy wouldn't fix, but this has long since been addressed and corrected. I have had no issues with the set on my G23 or my P228 and at least one of those is carried all day and every day.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links