Night Sights question

Night Sights question

This is a discussion on Night Sights question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, this is a newbie question, but I am going to ask anyway. My Sig P226 has the SIG Nite Sights (the white dots that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Sights question

Night Sights question

Ok, this is a newbie question, but I am going to ask anyway. My Sig P226 has the SIG Nite Sights (the white dots that turn green at night or low light- ok you knew that already). Would the Meprolight sights make an improvement on that? Just curious. Thanks.

I do not have meprolight sights on any of my firearms, but I am familiar with sig's. I think the sigs get the job done sufficiently.

I'm sure you have looked at them in the dark already, but if you think they are bright enough then no need to drop extra $ on something else (besides more ammo!).
    "I have seen haste be folly, but I have never seen delay victorious."
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

IMO, you don't need to spend more $ on no stinkin' mepro night sights...as above, buy ammo and practice.

Depending on how old they are, new sights may be a bit brighter than the old ones. Tritium (the stuff that makes the night sights glow) has a half-life of about 12-years, which means the usable life of night sights if finite. Some say that they cease to be bright enough after 5-7 years. If your sights are very old, new sights may be noticeably brighter.

Hope this helps!
    Don't do stupid things, don't go to stupid places, don't hang out with stupid people...

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    IMO, you don't need to spend more $ on no stinkin' mepro night sights...as above, buy ammo and practice.
    Tell me how you really feel- geez. I will practice plenty, but not sure what that has to do with my question.

If they are still fairly bright I see no reason to change them.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have Trij's on both my Glock, Meps on the Kimbers. Both work well. For me the sights are not used for 'sighting in', but rather a peripheral vision focus used for point shooting...brighter helps a bit.
    So if my night sights begin to fade, I have to ask myself if it's worth my safety to have them replaced. I think it is.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The sights offered by Sig are the same quality you can get from Trijicon or Meprolight. The branding is not going to make one or the other better. If they work for you (i.e. you can see them fine) then stay with them and save your money for something else.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdillon View Post
    Ok, this is a newbie question, but I am going to ask anyway. My Sig P226 has the SIG Nite Sights (the white dots that turn green at night or low light- ok you knew that already). Would the Meprolight sights make an improvement on that? Just curious. Thanks.
    Meprolight Green? Standard Tru-Dot or Adjustable?
    My Kimber TLE/ RL II has Meprolight Mk3 tritium night sights. My Sigs have Sig Lite tritium night sights. There is very little difference in brightness. The Meprolight night might be slightly brighter. Meprolight, Trijicon, Novak, or Heinie or Sig Lite all use tritium gas. Meprolight might be slightly brighter than TriJicon. All of them work well and are about equal to me in quality. How much is too bright? If the Sig Lites you have are defective, I would replace them. Otherwise they should last for about 15 years or so with very little loss of brightness.

My biggest consideration changing sights would be to make sure that they were be properly installed by a qualified person with the correct tools.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You gonna do whatever you like, but I'm no fan of the nightlights. I haven't seen a set yet that does anything for me. At the point that the nightsights are reasonably useful, it's too dark to see any target. The only thing I did was paint the white dots on my sights with DayGlo-orange paint. The white sights disappear into too many backgrounds, and the orange stands out really well. $4 for the paint saved a lot sight money.

But if you like them and don't mind dropping the $s, slap a new set on.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have a P220 SAO with the SIG factory night sights. I have several Glocks with the Meprolight brand night sights, and a few with the Trijicon night sights, and my wife has a Glock with the Glock factory night sights. Making comparisons for me is rather easy in this respect, but it still amounts to nothing more than what I prefer personally. I see no good reason to change my SIG factory night sights for anything else, and I do like the Meprolight over the Trijicon night sights.
    Also realize that most pistol manufacturers contract their (OEM) night sights from outside sources. I just looked at my SIG, and the rear sight does have the indelible MH3 engraving usually indicative of the Meprolight brand previously used before the Tru Dot embossing. This is not to say that all OEM night sights will have a contracting manufacturer specific mark on them to identify. You should expect OEM or aftermarket night sights to last about twelve years on average with deteriorating brightness throughout their life. As with any specific product offered to the public, and through contracts and business dealings....the supply of parts and resources is not always limitless, and certain parts may be substituted in the future in order to supply the same product to the same specifications as the original when it was first made. Differences may be noticeable in this case such as the thickness of the white outline surrounding the gas cartridge, or the actual color of the gas and it's luminescence. I'm almost sure there is no industry standard, just an assured rule of quality and a limited warranty. If your SiG pistol is relatively new with factory night sights installed, then I'm saying it's unlikely for you to find or change to something better outside of personal preferences. I'm going along with those whom have said to save your money and buy more ammo here.
    SIGP250 had a good response in my opinion...not far from my own, and specifically about the Meps seeming brighter than the Trijicons (why I like 'em personally). In the end game, I would honestly say that cost should be the focus......get the most for your money pretty much. The factory night sights (or OEM) should be of the same quality available aftermarket and generally less expensive in the package deal from the manufacturer. The aftermarket night sights can cost you more in two ways.......buying the sights, and having them installed. Buy aftermarket night sights over the internet and taking them to a gunsmith is going to cost you more than buying what the gunsmith carries for night sights or who's brand they deal in mainly. A custom order will cost you more and you'll have to wait as well. I'll tell you straight up from experience (no matter my preferences), that Trijicons will generally cost you $10-$20 more per set. The cost of proper installation with the proper tools varies about the same. Talk to your local gunsmiths and find a friend.
    Last edited by Ram Rod; July 31st, 2010 at 05:15 PM.

I cannot tell the difference between SigLites & Meprolites. Therefore, assuming yours are functioning properly, I do not think you would notice an appreciable difference. IMO
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

No difference. Big Dots are faster but lack precision.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If it's not broken, don't fix it. If the sights are failing, definitely get them replaced. Trij's and Mepro's are about the same quality. Tritium is Tritium.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    If your Sig P226 has a 6 on the front sight and AH MH3 on the rear sight, they are actually manufactured by Meprolight for Sig Sauer.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links