G17 Gen4

G17 Gen4

This is a discussion on G17 Gen4 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Only one dealer had the G17 Gen4 at the gun show today. Glock pricing seems to be uniform across the board now. At previous shows, ...

Thread: G17 Gen4

Thumbs up G17 Gen4

Only one dealer had the G17 Gen4 at the gun show today. Glock pricing seems to be uniform across the board now. At previous shows, there was some variation in pricing. But, apparently Glock has gotten more stringent with dealers on their pricing.

Anyway, I picked up the G17 Gen4 and had Truglo TFO sights installed on it while I was at the show.

Several dealers made comments about needing hotter 9mm loads in the Gen4 due to the recoil spring. I took 3 different types of 9mm FMJ to the range this afternoon. Winchester 124 gr. Nato, WWB and CCI Blaser Brass. The G17 Gen4 worked well with all three. Not one issue. The Gen4 cycled all three. I did notice that the CCI Blaser Brass spent brass didn't fly far. But, it ejected just fine.

This gun handles well and is definitely combat accurate as I was engaging various sized steel targets easily.

The extended mag release is nice. The trigger feels similar to my G19 gen3 trigger. I like the RTF grips. It was hot out there (100+) and was able to keep a good grip on it while shooting. I love the Truglo TFO sights.

This gun will eventually be my HD gun once I run some JHP through it. Being a Glock, I don't anticipate any issues with JHPs.

It came with 3 17 round mags. My previous Glocks only came with 2 mags.

I have the std grip and don't intend to use the changeable backstraps on it. Glock has a winner in the Gen4.

I've been shooting nothing but cheap 115gr FMJ Wolf, Sellier & Bellot, and Fiocchi ammo in my G17 gen4 without any issue. Definitely a great gun.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

kpw
    Good to hear, I like the new Gen 4s. I got to fondle the new G19 today. There are some subtle diffeences in the grip but I have to admit, I like the feel better than my Gen 3.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Glock changed the recoil spring because some where having problems with weak loaded ammo like WWB. Look at the end of the recoil spring assembly, if it has an 02, that is the latest rev.

If you have the original, call glock and they will send the new one out to you.

Quote Originally Posted by txgolfer45 View Post
    Only one dealer had the G17 Gen4 at the gun show today. Glock pricing seems to be uniform across the board now. At previous shows, there was some variation in pricing. But, apparently Glock has gotten more stringent with dealers on their pricing.

Anyway, I picked up the G17 Gen4 and had Truglo TFO sights installed on it while I was at the show.

Several dealers made comments about needing hotter 9mm loads in the Gen4 due to the recoil spring. I took 3 different types of 9mm FMJ to the range this afternoon. Winchester 124 gr. Nato, WWB and CCI Blaser Brass. The G17 Gen4 worked well with all three. Not one issue. The Gen4 cycled all three. I did notice that the CCI Blaser Brass spent brass didn't fly far. But, it ejected just fine.

This gun handles well and is definitely combat accurate as I was engaging various sized steel targets easily.

The extended mag release is nice. The trigger feels similar to my G19 gen3 trigger. I like the RTF grips. It was hot out there (100+) and was able to keep a good grip on it while shooting. I love the Truglo TFO sights.

This gun will eventually be my HD gun once I run some JHP through it. Being a Glock, I don't anticipate any issues with JHPs.

It came with 3 17 round mags. My previous Glocks only came with 2 mags.

I have the std grip and don't intend to use the changeable backstraps on it. Glock has a winner in the Gen4.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I also handled a 4gen G19 today, very nice. I like the new grip better than my 3rd gens.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Good to hear, I like the new Gen 4s. I got to fondle the new G19 today. There are some subtle diffeences in the grip but I have to admit, I like the feel better than my Gen 3.

Congratulations on your new 4th generation G17! I hope it's everything you anticipated and hoped for. I truly seek more input on the 4th generation Glocks as I am somewhat reluctant to change at this point. Love my 3rd gen. Glocks like there's no tomorrow.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Congratulations on your new 4th generation G17! I hope it's everything you anticipated and hoped for. I truly seek more input on the 4th generation Glocks as I am somewhat reluctant to change at this point. Love my 3rd gen. Glocks like there's no tomorrow.
    I ain't selling my 3rd Gens but I'll be adding a 4th Gen or two. I'm really thinking hard about that G19. Nothing wrong with having 2 G19s right?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

GM
    Glad you enjoy your new G17. Congrats.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'm thinking about picking one up today since they have a couple in at my local shop. Thanks for posting this and thanks to High Altitude for what to look for. i had read that they made some changes to "fix" the recoil spring, but wasn't sure when or how to tell.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Congrats on your new 17.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Sponsored Links