1911 newbie question

This is a discussion on 1911 newbie question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm new to the 1911 world and still looking to buy my first one. Could someone please explain the advantages of having a full ...

Thread: 1911 newbie question

1911 newbie question

So I'm new to the 1911 world and still looking to buy my first one. Could someone please explain the advantages of having a full length guide rod?

I realize this is probably a dumb question but I can't seem to figure it out myself.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While most manufacturers offer models with full-length guide rods I personally see no need for them. Except for my 3-inch Micro Compact all of mine have just the recoil spring and plug and do not need any special tools to field strip.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    There was some argument that a full length guide rod improved accuracy but there's been no real documented proof that it actually does. Even if it did we are talking about millimeters worth at distances a defensive shooter will probably never have to worry about.

Personally, I hate full length guide rods and replace them with standard springs and plugs as soon as possible.

Some like them. They think they add security or whatever and if it seems to help, even if it's a mental thing, then it helps.. All the power to ya!

But if you don't like it then it's a pretty easy fix to go to a standard spring and rod and all that jazz.

JD
    Administrator
    They say it eliminates spring bind and improves accuracy...I've never seen them improve anything. Nor have I had a spring bind with a plug and guide. Sometimes you don't have choice, the gun comes that way from the store, I just ditch the full length guide rod (FLGR) and drop in a plug and guide, it's that easy and costs about $10.00.

The FLGR sold as an extra addon is nothing more than waste of money. It has somehow become almost standard as a "custom upgrade" included in the price of the gun, but it's just window dressing.

Thanks guys. Thats what I was looking for I am considering a Para Ord. GI Expert that doesn't have one. Just wondering if it was really that big of a deal.

JD
    Administrator
    Well...

One addition. Stainless Steel FLGRs are useless. Tungsten or models specifically designed to reduce recoil can help reduce some muzzle rise and/or felt recoil.

If you want to add one on to your 1911, You can get one from Wilson Combat for about $30.00.

I bought one and after fooling with it a time or two, I went right back to the standard spring and plug.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

The Para GI Expert is a nice gun. I have a Para Slim Hawg that has yet to miss a beat.

Be sure to compare it to the Springfield Armory GI line.

If you ever are desirous to customize your first 1911 (highly likely once you get the bug) the Springfield is probably a better base to work with. http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/...new-build.html
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

All the above. The only thing a full lenght rod does is add a little weight forward, which is marginal, but some people like that extra bit of weight. 6 of one, half a dozen the other.

sgb
    There is no advantage other than imagined to a FLGR in a 1911.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

What they said, and it is a bigger pain when cleaning.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    Could someone please explain the advantages of having a full length guide rod?
    Full-length guide rods aid extraction and feeding.

They extract money from your pocket and feed it into someone else's.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

It seems that it's all been said. They're essentially pointless on a 5" or 4.25" 1911. On a 4" or shorter model, I find them preferable to some of the goofy telescoping jobs, with captive dual spring setup. Of course, I prefer the 5" pistols.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    So I'm new to the 1911 world and still looking to buy my first one. Could someone please explain the advantages of having a full length guide rod?

I realize this is probably a dumb question but I can't seem to figure it out myself.

Thanks
    The advantage:

It increases the profit margin for the manufacturer.

As you can guess, I'm not a fan of the FLGR. It makes dis-assemby harder and IMO does nothing to increase reliability. If John Moses Browning had intended for the 1911 to have a FLGR he would've put one in.

Biker

Links