XD9 or G19

This is a discussion on XD9 or G19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock 19 because of personal choice. Nothing wrong with the XD and trading will make you when you see the money lost. But like said ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XD9 or G19

Glock 19 because of personal choice. Nothing wrong with the XD and trading will make you when you see the money lost.

But like said before, save up and have both!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

I've fired a friends XD but I don't own one, I do own a G19 gen 2. I've never had any trouble from it at all. If something were to happen to it I would almost immediately replace it with another G19. That being said, if I didn't already own one, and have history with them but did own an XD I'm not sure I'd make it a priority to get one. Why do you want the 19? I own the 19, 26 and the 36 so I guess you could say I'm a Glock fan, but still just curious why you'd trade a perfectly fine gun in for something so similar.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    I have a Service model XD-9 and am thinking about selling and buying a Gen 3 Glock 19. Are there enough reasons on the plus side of the G19 over the XD to let the XD go and buy the G19? Looking for input. Thanks guys and gals for your thoughts.

-- Richard
    Glock but 2nd gen
    "We are Texas Rangers sent by the Governor Himself and our jurisdiction is anywhere we happen to be." Agustus McCrae

Got A Problem? The Odds Aganist You? Call The Equalizer 212-555-4200

NRA Member
    S&W M&P .40, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 22

Wow, what a question to ask on the Glock PR network!! If you have the XD in hand and like it there is no reason to trade. As other postings have stated you always loose when you trade. I would keep the XD and save my pennies for what you want to buy. I am not anti-Glock in any way, but I don't think that the sun rises and sets on the Glock either. I have an XD 40 Service which I really like. However, I have been working with a new FNP-9 and I kind of like the idea of an external hammer and a de-cocker. I get the net result of either the Glock or XD, pull the trigger and bang, with great degree of safety. I do not have to worry about moving any switch for the gun to work. Yea, the trigger pull is a little longer on the first shot but that is all in what you get used to. Just something to think about.

Good luck on your decision!

I'm gonna vote GLOCK 19, I have one and love it! I've never fired a XD9 so I have no opinion of it other than the GLOCK 19 appeals more to me. As others have said, if the GLOCK 19 works for you, the best outcome would be to have both. Good luck making your decision, as far a reliable firearms either will serve you well.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Per excellent advice on this thread I am shooting head to head with my XD-9 service pistol and a Glock 19 Gen 3. I also think I will keep the XD and save up for a G19. Great advice and with your input I am working this out with a much clearer head. Thursday is the shooting day! I will update after the first trial. I plan on more than one comparison! Thanks! By the way I have started working on building better arm and hand strength, fighting back against old age.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Having owned both, you are pretty much splitting hairs at this point. Both are extremely reliable and about the same combat accuracy. I compare this to, should I get the honda civic or the toyota corolla? If I had to choose one G-19
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have a G19 and also an XDM 9mm. Both are very good reliable guns.

I shoot them both and they are equal in many ways except one.

You can almost buy parts and accessories for the Glock at the hardware store. Not quite but almost. Any sight,holster,magazine or spare part is readily available from 100 different places for the Glocks.

With Springfield, you have a couple of specialty stores and the factory.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    Per excellent advice on this thread I am shooting head to head with my XD-9 service pistol and a Glock 19 Gen 3. I also think I will keep the XD and save up for a G19. Great advice and with your input I am working this out with a much clearer head. Thursday is the shooting day! I will update after the first trial. I plan on more than one comparison! Thanks! By the way I have started working on building better arm and hand strength, fighting back against old age.

-- Richard
    Richard, I think this is the best option for you. Good job......now you will own 2 fine handguns, instead of one and losing money on the trade.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Hello everyone! I went to the outdoor range Thursday morning. We were lucky a cool front dropped the temperature down to 80 degrees. We setup several different IDPA stages and I shot my XD-9 and Ken's new Gen 3 G19. I re-discorved why I like the XD so much. I also shot the G19 several times and I am sure you will not be surprised that I liked it enough to want one! It is more compact than the XD-9 service, and not much larger than my XD9sc. Although thicker than my Kahr CW9 the grip is barely longer. The CW9 beats them all for weight. All and all, I think it is hard to find a better all around pistol than the Glock 19!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Me like G19. U might like XD.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links