XD9 or G19

This is a discussion on XD9 or G19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Service model XD-9 and am thinking about selling and buying a Gen 3 Glock 19. Are there enough reasons on the plus ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XD9 or G19

XD9 or G19

I have a Service model XD-9 and am thinking about selling and buying a Gen 3 Glock 19. Are there enough reasons on the plus side of the G19 over the XD to let the XD go and buy the G19? Looking for input. Thanks guys and gals for your thoughts.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

Both are very nice firearms. I'm afraid that the XD lovers are going to recommend that you keep the XD, and the Glock lovers are going to recommend that you jump on the G-19.
    Personally, I think that the Glcok-19 is almost the perfect gun...jump on it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Having owned both the XD and Glock platforms...well, if you have reasons to think the XD isn't working for you, or any other concerns...switch. If the XD works fo you, and you;re happy with it...keep it.

Personally--and again, this is with my own personal experience--I think the G19 is the better pistol of the two, but there's nothing necessarily wrong with the XD.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

+1 on the G-19, but to be fair I've never fired the XD9. My Glocks were love at first sight and I never looked further..
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Me too!
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Go to a range in your area that rents Glock pistols. Take your XD-9 and rent a Glock 19. Put both of them through their paces and make your decisions based on that. Either way they are both good choices. You just have to decide what will serve you better.

cant go wrong with a glock!!!
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

Have had both, kept the G19, it just fit better for me. They go bang at the appreciate time and are as easy to carry. Just find out what works for you. Having said all that what the matter with owning 2 9mms??
    Everyone ought to worship God according to his own inclinations, and not to be constrained by force.
    Flavius Josephus

VIP Member
    I'm an admitted Glock fan, but my nephew's XD9 is impressive. I'd say both are of equal quality. Probably the biggest difference is that one has an external (grip) safety and one doesn't. I'll stick with the G19.

I have no experience with the XD other than handling one. I have a lot of experience with the G19. IMO it is one of the best combat handguns ever made. Everyone should have one in their lineup.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Personally, I don't like the higher bore position on the XD vs. the Glock. I'd get the Glock.

kpw
    I can list all kinds of reasons why the G19 is so great but a lot of it is personal preference. I'd say keep the XD, buy the G19 and decide later...or keep them both.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't like the looks of the XD, but other than that, it's pretty much a coin toss. Try the Glock, and if you like it better, get it. If you don't....
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

They're both excellent pistols. I've fired both but only own the G19 for what its worth. But I wouldn't lose any sleep owning the XD too.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary
    Go to a range in your area that rents Glock pistols. Take your XD-9 and rent a Glock 19. Put both of them through their paces and make your decisions based on that. Either way they are both good choices. You just have to decide what will serve you better.
    RKirk,
    This is the best reply of all the ones, so far. CC weapon choices are very personal and vary greatly from one person to the next. YOU need to shoot both to decide which is the best option for YOU.

Glocks are fine weapons, but they do NOT fit MY hand and therefore I do not shoot them well. So, I own a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm, which has the same dimensions as an XD. I love and shoot both very well.

Good luck with your choices!
    Good hunting, Bowhunter57
    Beer Nuts: $1.49
    Deer Nuts: Still under a Buck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links