Carry Revolver

This is a discussion on Carry Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to my local gun store last year to buy the S&W 7-shot Night Guard with the scandium frame. I have purchased more than ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry Revolver

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I went to my local gun store last year to buy the S&W 7-shot Night Guard with the scandium frame. I have purchased more than a few guns from them in the past several years and they know me by name. When I told the salesperson what I wanted, she informed me that a customer just left who was trying to trade one in that he had only fired 3 times. But each time he shot it, the frame cracked. S&W repaired it with no questions asked but he no longer trusted it because when the frame cracked, the cylinder wouldn't turn. Her opinion was that the scandium frame was not strong enough to handle the .357 rnds. I ended up buying a Taurus 617 in stainless and have taken it to the range several times where it performed flawlessly. Of course it does not have quite the fit and finish nor the precision of a Smith, but if you look up some Taurus history on the net, you will find that at one time S&W owned a portion of Taurus and designed their small revolvers nearly identical to the K-frame. The only thing I notice is a small amount of rotational play in the cylinder. I look for signs of lead splashing on the cylinder part of the barrel but have found nothing. I do not expect to use it as a range gun and only shoot it to maintain proficiency. If you want an expensive safe queen buy the Smith but if you want a reasonably priced carry gun, go for the Taurus 617.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    buy cheap and buy twice; then how much money did you save?
    what ever the Taurus cost because you wont need another one.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, some people never learn; or want to learn.
    sometimes there is nothing to learn...my Taurus CH85 and all the Taurus REVOLVERS ive had,shot,seen,have friends have, are all just fine..no complaints..and id say thats about 15 different models from the CH85(steel not light weight) trackers,raging hornets,bees all that stuff big bull barrel guns to .357 magnums all have been 100% reliable..if a S&W were within $50-75 id get the S&W just because of resale value..if not id get the Taurus and feel confident..and like I said im a S&W fan..im looking to get a older S&W like the first one in .357 I carried on the Police Dept back in the early 90's(right B4 they switched over to semi autos)

cmb
    I think all brands have some bad occurences though Taurus customer service seems to pop up a good deal. I own one taurus revolver and a colt revo so no ownership experience with S&W, I hope that will change one day as I like their 442's. A 7 chot cylinder will be quite wide and magnum in any lightweight are a handful. My Taurus has been fine for its purpose as a 38 spcl j frame... I like the smith you describe but not sure i'd carry it, if you would carry it for years and years the extra for the smith would probably be worth it to you... if you are trying to talk yourself into it there ya go!

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I generally agree. As they say, "sometimes cheap ain't cheap". With regard to the Taurus 617 though, I have one and although I can't rate it in the same class as my S&W revolvers, it has been a reliable little 7 shot 357 Mag. If the OP needs to cut some corners money wise but wants a 7 shot 357 he could sure do worse than a Taurus 617. Here's my 7 shooters. Taurus on the left, S&W on the right.
    I guess this is what im trying to say..its like (insert your preferred brand if you dont like mine :) ) getting a Lexus or a Camry......one is more refined and "nicer" the other a bit more "mundane" but both will last you 200,000+ miles use ford or Chevy or what ever makes you like...same deal...is the S&W a bit nicer..yeah but if you want something that will work well and shoot well but want it a bit cheaper...the Taurus will work fine...

a good gun reference IMO would be getting a .223 bolt action in the Remington 700 or the Savage with the accu-trigger BOTH are gonna do the exact same thing function and accuracy wise...the Remington has the better wood and is just more refined and nicer looking holds and has more value...but BOTH will get the job done equally as well. Just ebcause the Savage is a cheaper weapon does not make it inferior..just means its a cheaper price point gun...if I want to go hunting I would take a Savage with the accu trigger...if I want a hand me down heirloom/bragging rights wow look at that when you go to the range or hunting cabin gun im getting the 700....BOTH will kill the same stuff just as well, just as often, without problems and just as accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    I think all brands have some bad occurences though Taurus customer service seems to pop up a good deal. I own one taurus revolver and a colt revo so no ownership experience with S&W, I hope that will change one day as I like their 442's. A 7 chot cylinder will be quite wide and magnum in any lightweight are a handful. My Taurus has been fine for its purpose as a 38 spcl j frame... I like the smith you describe but not sure i'd carry it, if you would carry it for years and years the extra for the smith would probably be worth it to you... if you are trying to talk yourself into it there ya go!
    Not to say that Taurus does not have its share of problems but a lot of them are in their semi auto line not as many in the revolver line..

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I would go with the S&W. Have you tried carrying two 5 shot revolvers.
    I've started doing this a bit. Primary SP101 .357 Mag 5 shot IWB or OWB covered strong side and a S&W 442 38+P weak side pocket. Drop a speed strip in each pocket both loaded with 38+P and they'll both work in either weapon. You've got both hands covered and re-loads for either. As light as the 442 is, I don't even notice it. Lighter than a loaded 12 round .40 mag or 15 round 9mm mag.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Just OWB carry one on each side like the old west.

You'll like the 7 or 8 shot revolver. I love mine, no matter which model you buy.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have a Taurus 617. I carry it (in a shoulder holster) around the house, yard, and shop. It's a damn fine weapon. Mine is beautifully finished, 100% reliable, and as accurate as any snubbie can be. The big Ribber grips (that I changed out to Trackers), and the ported barrel make it a honey to shoot. 7 shots of .357 Mag. will get anyone's attention. The Night Guard is a good weapon, but IMO, has a lot of bells and whistles that really don't make it shoot any better, just more expensively.

As for CS, I've sent one Taurus and one Rossi back and been extremely satisfied with the CS on both. The guns were repaired satisfactorily and promptly, and the CS people were extremely friendly and helpful.

I have a model 19 nickel S&W 357 with 4" barrell. Have shot less than one 50 round box thru it. I have owned it for many years. I am partial to the semi-autos for carry. It is a fine piece but will be looking for trade at the next gun show. Thinking seriously about a SA 1911 45 ACP. Carried the Colt 1911 in the military and kinda want to get another 1911 of my own.
    Glock G22 .40 Cal.
    SA 1911 A-1 .45 ACP

JT
    You may have to bet your life on that carry gun. Don't cut corners. Get the S&W.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

You've already got a 'tank' in your Ruger SP101...go with that, and spend the $$ on training.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can't believe I'm the first one to say this, because I'm not really a revolver kinda guy, but I think the ultimate carry revolver is the S&W Mod. 66:

One of these, and some speed loaders, ought to do it, and will carry better than the 7 shot oddballs.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Heresy On: Have you considered a .327 Magnum?

6-rounds:
    Smith&Wesson 632 in .327-magnum
    Ruger SP101 in .327-magnum
    Charter Arms Target Patriot Revolver
    Tarus 327

7-rounds:
    Ruger GP100 in .327-magnum

Forget what you may have heard about this being a "lite load". It packs a punch.

Speer Gold Dot Ammunition:
    115gr
    Muzzle velocity: 1335 fps
    Muzzle energy: 455 ft. lbs
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=172468

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links