Carry Revolver

This is a discussion on Carry Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 You've already got a 'tank' in your Ruger SP101...go with that, and spend the $$ on training. I have to agree ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You've already got a 'tank' in your Ruger SP101...go with that, and spend the $$ on training.
    I have to agree with ret 100%. I love my SP101 and have practiced with it enough to become proficient. If 5 shots of .357 don't get me through whatever ordeal I may encounter in the civilian SD world, I probably wouldn't make it to #6 or #7 anyway. On occasion, I carry my S&W 442 with it as a bug or quick re-load. If capacity were a major concern, I'd carry my 15+1 Ruger P95 semi-auto.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I generally agree. As they say, "sometimes cheap ain't cheap". With regard to the Taurus 617 though, I have one and although I can't rate it in the same class as my S&W revolvers, it has been a reliable little 7 shot 357 Mag. If the OP needs to cut some corners money wise but wants a 7 shot 357 he could sure do worse than a Taurus 617. Here's my 7 shooters. Taurus on the left, S&W on the right.
    I had one of those older 686's in a round butt four inch one time. The thing was beyond awesome and accurate with it's old style brushed matte stainless finish and nice round but perfect for the hogue combat grips. That is one I regret getting rid of and not the only one. I once traded my H&k P7M8 for a weight bench and a shotgun, big mistake.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

VIP Member
    I would get the S&W.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I would never purchase the Taurus in any event. I agree with Seraph's assessment about his Model 66 as mentioned in his post above.

Only my view but plain ol' Smith & Wesson and Colt revolvers guard the night for our household. They will work with perfect satisfaction and will do it without some catchy model series marketing term. The Ruger DA revolvers would work too. What does one really get for the extra cost of the "Nightguard" models and is it really worth the extra cost?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

los
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You've already got a 'tank' in your Ruger SP101...go with that, and spend the $$ on training.
    Words of Wisdom.!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I also agree about the comments made about the SP101, I Just always wanted a seven or eight shot 357magnum is all.
    So carry two SP101's or GP100's.

I like the 3" GP100 backed up by a 2.25" SP101, but that's just me. That gives me eleven rounds, plus my reloads. I'll also most likely have a third gun, but that's neither here nor there.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; August 19th, 2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo

As with other brands, most anti-Taurus postings are second hand. A friend, of my second cousin says...... ANY brand of machine, that is what a firearm is after all, can have problems. Although some customer service departments / employees are more customer friendly than others, I wouldn't make that my sole criteria in brand selection.

I own a Taurus 617, stainless and mine is a well made firearm. The only issue I've had with it is the tendency to "short stroke" the trigger, but that is more a shooter problem than a gun problem. I'm confident enough with the 617 to use it in my annual HR-218 [revolver phase] qualification although I have other revolvers, including S&W, to choose from. (Auto qualification is usually with my S&W 457.)

Any short barrel handgun is going to lose power because of the physics involved and because of that, I carry the Speer Gold Dot, 135 gr. Short Barrel ammo in my snubbys. Some other brands of ammo are now selling short barrel versions with bullets engineered to reliably expand at lower velocities, including Hornaday's Critical Defense brand.

I've not fired any of their auto pistols, but as far as Taurus revolvers are concerned, my wife and I are happy campers. Her carry gun is a Taurus model 85 ultralight with Crimson Trace grips. (M-85 photo with factory grips.)

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

If you are putting this much thought into it, go for the gusto, belly up, and lay the money down for something you know you would really like to have and be done with it. If you settle because of price, you will never truly be satisfied. It is more a matter of pride and confidence than price. Just.... do it!

I'd rather throw my shoe at a BG than buy and bet my life on a Taurus, That's just me though. I've owned two Taurus pistols and needless to say they are LONG gone. Spend the money you would put into the Taurus on a good heavy steel Toe boot to throw at someone it will be much more affective.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Yeah, I would opt for the S&W but I'm not crazy for the light alloy models. Perhaps a k-frame Model-66 with a 2.5-inch barrel would be the ticket. In fact, I certainly don't need it but I have one on lay-away. Seemed like a good idea at the time...
    You won't regret it! If I could only have one pistol it would be my 66-1 2.5".

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Mr. Burl, I really like your 2 1/2-inch Model 66. I'm warming up to a round butt, K-Frame 2 1/2-inch .357 to take over some of the duties of my old favorite Model 10. I have one on hand but just haven't played with it yet.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    All I can tell you is - "My experiences with a Taurus 85UL"

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-a-Taurus-85UL
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    IMO it is better to get what you really want even if it means saving up for it. I think you can't go wrong with the SP101 It was my first carry gun and I loved it. I couldn't conceal it though because it was to large and I do dress feminine. I plan on saving up and getting a Ruger .380LCP for CC.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    sometimes there is nothing to learn...my Taurus CH85 and all the Taurus REVOLVERS ive had,shot,seen,have friends have, are all just fine..no complaints..and id say thats about 15 different models from the CH85(steel not light weight) trackers,raging hornets,bees all that stuff big bull barrel guns to .357 magnums all have been 100% reliable..if a S&W were within $50-75 id get the S&W just because of resale value..if not id get the Taurus and feel confident..and like I said im a S&W fan..im looking to get a older S&W like the first one in .357 I carried on the Police Dept back in the early 90's(right B4 they switched over to semi autos)
    It is very good that you could find a manufacturer that you really trust and enjoy. IMO you should stay with Taurus and not waste your money on expensive S&W's.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by kane4111 View Post
    id just stay with the sp101 to me it doesnt get much better for a good carry revolver
    I agree 100% with you. SP101 is pure quality built, and I trust it with my life. I find that having 5 rounds of .357 is sufficient with a reload carried via speed strip or speed loaders, pending what I'm wearing. Then again, I'm not one to carry many rounds on a daily basis, as 9 rounds of .45 is good enough for me.
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links