Carry Revolver

This is a discussion on Carry Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The questionable things I've heard on Taurus were all semi's, not a revolver. I have a 605 and a 617, no problems, love shooting both ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62

Thread: Carry Revolver

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,645
    The questionable things I've heard on Taurus were all semi's, not a revolver. I have a 605 and a 617, no problems, love shooting both and very accurate. I also have some Smiths, but it's the Taurus 617 that I carry. The other carry is a Beretta PX4-SC. I've never had nor heard of a problem yet with either a 605 or a 617 Taurus revolver, nor the 618 (8 shot).

    IF someone has direct knowledge, I would like them to post the specifics... and I'll bet you wont' see a post.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    VIP Member Array MNBurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Mr. Burl, I really like your 2 1/2-inch Model 66. I'm warming up to a round butt, K-Frame 2 1/2-inch .357 to take over some of the duties of my old favorite Model 10. I have one on hand but just haven't played with it yet.
    Go out and shoot it. I prefer wood grips to rubber because they are better for carry purposes and fit my hand perfectly.
    MNBurl

    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

  4. #48
    Member Array CajunBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chancellorsville, Virginia
    Posts
    250
    I've had a few Taurus revolvers and didn't see a thing wrong with the. Got a couple of Smith & Wesson's, and Colts, both.

    Right now, I carry an old Charter Arms Undercover 38, but it's only a five shot, so I don't you'd be interested. It works, but I paid less for it than a Taurus even so I guess my life isn't worth too much.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

  5. #49
    Member
    Array danlct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    new mexico, u.s.a.
    Posts
    162

    The pricey 8 shot S&W Model 327

    Did you ever feast your eyes on this .357 beauty?
    Sorry no pics/i don't own one/drool
    Great specs to match the beauty
    7"long,2"barrel,21.4oz, DAO a + or - ? got to love those 8rds
    My favorite look c S&W,msrp$1438
    I'd settle for a 5rd model M&P360 a 14.7oz 357 @ 7.75long,msrp$980 w/ns
    Enjoy the hunt and let us know what you get
    Last edited by danlct; August 20th, 2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: add cal.

  6. #50
    VIP Member Array NCHornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mt Airy, NC
    Posts
    2,158
    Save up and get a S&W 649. IMHO this is the finest pocket gun ever made. You still have the capability of single action, but with no snag of a DAO weapon. Mine rides in a Mika pocket holster and is always with me.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

  7. #51
    Senior Member Array C Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    993
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    It is very good that you could find a manufacturer that you really trust and enjoy. IMO you should stay with Taurus and not waste your money on expensive S&W's.
    So far I have. I grew up with Smiths..That was my first Police Dept carry gun a 5" barrel Smith & Wesson .357 magnum(I wish i could remember the correct model but I cant it was older one though). I am currently looking for a revolver to replace that hole in my "collection" im considering the Ruger,S&W,Taurus,and Colt(but probably not colt due to wanting to keep it at $500 or less) im looking new or used..I feel good with ANY of those makes in a nice 5" barrel revolver..

  8. #52
    Senior Member Array C Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    993
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    I've had a few Taurus revolvers and didn't see a thing wrong with the. Got a couple of Smith & Wesson's, and Colts, both.

    Right now, I carry an old Charter Arms Undercover 38, but it's only a five shot, so I don't you'd be interested. It works, but I paid less for it than a Taurus even so I guess my life isn't worth too much.
    A Revolver (or any gun) does not have to be expensive to work :) just has to work :) . Some just dont have the fit and finish of others but mechanically work just as well 100%..sounds like you Charter Arms falls in the mechanically reliable but maybe less fit and finish category...as does ny Taurus CH85 :)
    Attached Images

  9. #53
    Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    buy cheap and buy twice; then how much money did you save?
    About $500. My wifes Rossi 38 has done the job for her and it's performance has been flawless and it was cheap.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

  10. #54
    Senior Member Array Adkjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    765
    "I'm goin out with big guns and sharp knives, revolvers cause automatics jam at the wrong time"

    I am and always will be a revolver guy
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

  11. #55
    Senior Member Array tex45acp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Great State of Texas
    Posts
    698
    First let me qualify what I am about to say.........I love revolvers and carry them at least 30% of the time. I do however also carry semi-auto's as well. I discharge my firearms regularly, and more than likely numerically 10+ times more that most that carry firearms for protection. I have had no more failures of any kind, with my semi-autos than I have with my revolvers.

    It was stated in another post that the poster carries a "revolver because automatics jam at the wrong time".

    Let me just make some simple numeric observations here.....if you frequent these gun forums enough and study the numbers of posts, especially the "What do you carry" posts you are going to se that semi-autos are carried 3-1 over revolvers. There are still a few law enforcement agencies that carry revolvers, but they are far and few between. This skews the 'failure reports" in favor of the revolver. If semi-autos are so undependable when the chips are down, then why does 98% of the worlds police forces and militaries use the semi-auto. Choosing a particular style of weapon, because you trust only that style, does not make everything else inferior. Have you personally experienced such "jams" you speak of???
    I choose to carry a semi-auto more because it works the best for me. I shoot both revolvers and semi-autos, and though I carry them both, I am significantly more accurate with the semi-auto than my revolvers, and I am not a novice shooter. But if the government outlawed semi-auto style handguns I would have no problems carrying my revolvers....can you say the same if they outlawed revolvers???

    Forgive my venting but I really hate it when people tell me they drive a Ford because General Motors & Chrysler products just stop running at the wrong times.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

  12. #56
    Member
    Array danlct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    new mexico, u.s.a.
    Posts
    162
    I saw a NIB S&W model 60 for $706 and a used one stated at 97% for $660 on the same site * Though it's a 5 rounder and not what you're look'n 4, my point is the resale value for S&Ws sure are strong as others have mentioned here

  13. #57
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,944
    Hi tex45acp;

    No argument here (you may live too close by and be bigger than I am) but I'm one of those who used to occasionally carry 1911s until September of 1995 when we took the Texas concealed carry qualification course, in anticipation of the new concealed carry law which was taking effect the next January, and my old favorite 1911 dropped its hammer on a dud factory round during one of the "two-shots-in-three-seconds" stages of the qualification shoot. No big deal. Lost 5 points but the target wasn't charging me with an axe and I still ended up 245/250. Wasn't my perfectly dependable 1911's fault and likely would never occur during a emergency need to shoot, but I've found myself carrying automatics even less since the experience.

    Everyone else may carry and shoot what they like and the 1911 is my very first choice for semi-auto carry. I am most cozy with the revolver for personal self defense.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

    Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

  14. #58
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp View Post
    It was stated in another post that the poster carries a "revolver because automatics jam at the wrong time".

    Choosing a particular style of weapon, because you trust only that style, does not make everything else inferior. Have you personally experienced such "jams" you speak of???

    I choose to carry a semi-auto more because it works the best for me. I shoot both revolvers and semi-autos, and though I carry them both, I am significantly more accurate with the semi-auto than my revolvers, and I am not a novice shooter. But if the government outlawed semi-auto style handguns I would have no problems carrying my revolvers....can you say the same if they outlawed revolvers???
    Question # 1: yes..... twice ... quickly used a back-up (revolver)

    Question # 2 : NO ... there is no doubt my preference when it comes to reliability, it would be a revolver.

    There are few things that can malfunction on a revolver, vs a semi-auto...... mags, extractors, FTF, etc. that you will never have with a revolver... so there is much more that CAN go wrong with a semi vs a revolver, and will.

    Personally, my accuracy, etc. is much better wiht a revolver than with a semi.... so I'm the opposite of what you are.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  15. #59
    Member Array funklab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    It's just hard to ignore the Model 617@ $350 blue to $400 glossy stainless vs the Night Guards even at my L.E. Discount $$725!!
    Yes that would be a good deal if you happen to get one of the working Taurus guns. However, if you don't you could easily end up like me. Right now it looks like I'm going to lose a couple hundred dollars on the Taurus I bought a few weeks ago, and then end up paying real money for a real gun. To me it would be better to shell out $725 now, then buy a Taurus that might well end up being a $400 paperweight and you end up having to go buy the Smith anyway. Cheap Taurus's like that don't really have a warranty at all. If it costs $50 to ship it to them and you have to do it multiple times to get the gun in working order, that's some pretty expensive work (which is why they do it I am sure, it makes it much cheaper to pay a gunsmith to try and fix it). Plus if you have to send your gun back to the manufacturer when it is brand new and never been shot, can you ever really trust it as a carry gun? I can't, I mean seriously lots of the guns Taurus sells are in terrible shape, they would have never made it through the assembly line at Ruger or Smith & Wesson.

  16. #60
    Member Array funklab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Question # 1: yes..... twice ... quickly used a back-up (revolver)
    Jesus, where do you live.

    You've been in two gunfights in which your pistol has jammed!?!? How many times have you had to shoot?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Revolver Carry?
    By ShortBBL in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: December 31st, 2010, 04:52 PM
  2. New Carry Revolver
    By tex45acp in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: October 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM
  3. ok for a carry revolver
    By turk1800 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: June 25th, 2008, 10:42 PM
  4. New Carry Revolver
    By dr_cmg in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: December 30th, 2007, 12:46 PM
  5. Best Revolver for carry ?
    By BlueLion in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM

Search tags for this page

crimson trace night guard .357
,
defensive carry revolver
,

defensive carry revolvers

,
grips for taurus 617
,

ruger p95

,

s&w 325 night guard

,

s&w night guard iwb ccw

,

smith & wesson 329 night guard

,
smith and wesson 325 night guard 44 magnum
,

taurus ch85

,
taurus model 617 pro and con
,
what is a good carry revolver
Click on a term to search for related topics.