Got a fullsize 1911!

This is a discussion on Got a fullsize 1911! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had been thinking of a fullsize 1911 for some time now. So on Friday, I just happened to be in some pawn shops (actually ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a fullsize 1911!

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Got a fullsize 1911!

I had been thinking of a fullsize 1911 for some time now. So on Friday, I just happened to be in some pawn shops (actually guitar shopping). Lo and behold, I ran across this:

I had already lost a good bit of the love I once had for my Colt Defender. It just didn't have the "magic" for me anymore, so I traded it and got a pretty decent deal on the difference.

It's a Springfield Loaded .45.

I took it straight to the range AS-IS. No cleaning, no oiling, nothing. It had several failures to return fully to battery, sort of a nose diving issue. That night I cleaned it and oiled it and went back to the range on Saturday. I fired 100 rounds of JHP's and 50 rounds of hardball, all 230-grain. Flawless!

The two mags that came with it were 7-round, which surprised me. So on Saturday I bought two Chip McCormick 8-rounders and those were all I used. I also discovered that night that one of the mags that came with it has the Kimber logo.

Anyway, those hideous rubber grips are history as soon as I decide on some new ones.

She might even be a candidate for night sights!

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I had been thinking of a fullsize 1911 for some time now. So on Friday, I just happened to be in some pawn shops (actually guitar shopping). Lo and behold, I ran across this:

I had already lost a good bit of the love I once had for my Colt Defender. It just didn't have the "magic" for me anymore, so I traded it and got a pretty decent deal on the difference.

It's a Springfield Loaded .45.

I took it straight to the range AS-IS. No cleaning, no oiling, nothing. It had several failures to return fully to battery, sort of a nose diving issue. That night I cleaned it and oiled it and went back to the range on Saturday. I fired 100 rounds of JHP's and 50 rounds of hardball, all 230-grain. Flawless!

The two mags that came with it were 7-round, which surprised me. So on Saturday I bought two Chip McCormick 8-rounders and those were all I used. I also discovered that night that one of the mags that came with it has the Kimber logo.

Anyway, those hideous rubber grips are history as soon as I decide on some new ones.

She might even be a candidate for night sights!

SWEET!!!! Welcome back to the light side of the force! Put some badass grips on there and you will be good to go!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Nice catch! Certainly capable of a different kind of music than the guitars you were looking for...

Save that Kimber mag for range use or for a paperweight. I'd be hard-pressed to find a more troublesome mag than the one I got with my Kimber.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Very nice. Personally I like the grips, but if you're planning to use it for CC, well yeah I can see changing um out. Awesome pistol, the SS looks sharp.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Glad you like it. Enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Update: I just ordered a set of slimline Alumagrips in Olive with my initials, plus some Pearce finger groove inserts.

-miklcolt45

Congratulations on the new purchase. Is that an "NM" serial number prefix? Can't see it clearly.

I recommend ditching the full length guide rod, in favor of the traditional parts. That will save you a lot of trouble stripping and reassembling the pistol.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

I think the SA Loaded models are usually just about the right balance between usable features, reliability, and cost, looks like you made a good buy there.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Nice looking weapon, goodluck with the new friend. Why are rubber grips not a good idea for cc ?

Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    Nice looking weapon, goodluck with the new friend. Why are rubber grips not a good idea for cc ?
    Thanks. Some people say that rubber grips will snag on clothing when drawing. I've never carried with them so I don't know. In this case, I think the rubber is just ugly on an otherwise attractive gun.

-miklcolt45

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    I recommend ditching the full length guide rod, in favor of the traditional parts. That will save you a lot of trouble stripping and reassembling the pistol.
    I agree, it will also make one handed malfunction drills much simpler as well.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    ...plus some Pearce finger groove inserts.

You will love those. I know I do.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice. A little clean and lube job can work wonders. Yeah, those grips are pretty chunky. I'd go for a really sharp set of wood grips if it were mine. I just replaced the rubber grips on my 4566. It wasn't the texture so much; they were just to big for my hand. Installed the straight factory grips. Now it feels like ... my Glock. Oh well. A set of wood grips was $100+ and I'm not ready to drop that on grips (yet).
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Congrats, Great pistol, great shooters. I hope it serves you well.

Nice weapon. Good luck. Is that a 6 inch slide?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links