possible new Ruger ? - Page 2

possible new Ruger ?

This is a discussion on possible new Ruger ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would dive on that deal. The SP101 is as good as it gets, along with the other Ruger revolvers. I heard a rumor years ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: possible new Ruger ?

I would dive on that deal. The SP101 is as good as it gets, along with the other Ruger revolvers.

I heard a rumor years ago....supposedly, while other companies were "beefing up" their .38 Special revolvers to make them .357 Magnums, Ruger built the GP100 on a .44 Magnum frame. Likewise, they supposedly built the SP101 on a .357 Magnum frame, even when it was only available in .38.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    It's a great gun! Badgers look great, but, the Hogues feel really great! That's what I prefer on my SP101.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have that gun. It's a great gun but you can do some things to make it better...
    -You can add a night sight to the front; it's a pinned front sight which makes this something that's relatively easy for a gun smith to do. So later on you have good sight options
    -You can add a reduced main spring for about $8.00 off the internet and not even 10 mintues time to change it out. It's super easy to do and it makes a HUGE difference in the trigger pull. The single action is fine but you ought to practice your defense shooting DAO; that's where the lighter spring works. You'll hear about that being a reliability issue but you just have to check it after you change the springs. Mine has been utterly reliable.
    -I had the badgers but they were too big for my hands. If they fit you, you're golden as they're excellent grips.
    -It's a very soft shooter. You'll smile every time you shoot .38's through it and even stout .357 rounds aren't too bad. If you put on Badgers you'll feel more recoil than you will with the OEM grips but it's still a soft shooter!
    -AKJ Concealco makes an IWB holster that I really like for this revolver. It has a adjustable cant and is comfortable if you hang it on a good belt.

Take a look at a site called Gemini Customs and you'll see what's possible with a Ruger SP101. The only down side is there are very few options for aftermarket wood grips. Eagle grips, badgers, and houge laminates are about it. It's all good if you have large hands, not so good if your hands are small.

I can't comment on the price but if you check Gunbroker, Bud's Gun Shop and Guns America you can get a real good idea as to how good a price this is, or isn't.

Now for a surprise! My SP101 locked up on the first range trip. I had to send it back to Ruger under warranty. Mine also was so sharp on the trigger and some edges that it actually cut me with .357's. I pointed this out when I sent it back to Ruger and they dulled the worst of it for me. Customer service was okay but it did take almost three weeks for them to get it back to me.

You can also buy wood inserts to replace the black plastic inserts in the oem grips. I tried a few different grips but in the end, I found the OEM to be the best for concealment and for managing recoil.

Good luck
    Gideon

Go for it. That is my next gun..a 2.5" DAO 357 to be exact!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by psycho1 View Post
    Should I go for it ? I can buy a new Ruger SP101 3" stainless from local small town gun shop for $485.00 out the door (tax included).... If I buy it, I want to put either some Badger (full size) grips on it or some Hogue finger groove grips on it (3 finger)......which would you guys recommend ??
    Did you get this? I have an SP101 2"; it's my new favorite. I tried holding out to find the 3" but I figure I'll pick one up when I stumble across one.

I's an absolute blast shooting full bore .357mag. I def recommend changing the grip. I went w/ a Hogue. Very controllable & comfortable snubby.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links