Affordable 3" 1911 Options

This is a discussion on Affordable 3" 1911 Options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you are looking a great CC .45 I would suggest you take a look at the Kahr line of .45acp pistols. The CW45, P45, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Affordable 3" 1911 Options

If you are looking a great CC .45 I would suggest you take a look at the Kahr line of .45acp pistols. The CW45, P45, and PM45 are all single stack .45s that offer 6+1 (CW45/P45) or 5+1 (PM45), are all under 20 oz., they all measure in at 1.01" thick, and can be had for around the mid $600 range NIB. But if you want a gun that is a great carry gun, great home defense gun, and is a pleasure to shoot at the range I would recommend the Glock 30.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

2. Remove Ads

I was in a similar situation as you. I was torn amongst 1911s, polymers and a Beretta. I already have a concealed carry so capacity was not a big issue. 6+1 is still better than a 5 shot revolver since one can reload with a mag faster than from a speed strip.

I tinkered with the idea of the XDm 45, the 30 and the 1911. Reliability of 1911s shorter than 4" is questionable from what I read. First, rent different guns. See what's comfortable. You may find the 3" is not as fun to shoot. I like the polymers but there is something nice about a steel gun.

The used market is a better option for you. A lot of nice Springfields and Colts are circulating. I would stay away from 3" 1911s. Go for the 4" 1911 or get a Glock 36.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I tinkered with the idea of the XDm 45, the 30 and the 1911. Reliability of 1911s shorter than 4" is questionable from what I read. First, rent different guns. See what's comfortable. You may find the 3" is not as fun to shoot. I like the polymers but there is something nice about a steel gun.
    Just wanted to chime in on the 3" 1911's. I've read the same stuff all over the place, but have yet to see it rear it's head with mine. I've only had mine for a couple of months and only put under a thousand rounds DW through it so far, but my 3" Ultra has been flawless. I'm just curious how many other variables come into play other than just the 3" configuration. I guess if I was looking for a range pistol or for some other specific purpose other than CC, I might look at it a little differently, but for CC the 3" 1911 is a good carry piece IMO. It's not like you're gonna wear the springs out at the range like your work horse range pistols right?. A couple hundred rounds here and there, then clean it up good and strap it on your hip and go. FWIW
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I'd also recommend the RIA Compact model. Complaints with them are fairly few, and if you do have an issue, RIA's customer service is top notch--they will take care of it for you, and will make certain you are satisfied before they are done.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

+10000 on the Rock Island Armory pistol. I have the 3.5" barrel and it shoots every time I pull the bang thingie. In fact the bullet thingie hits the target thingie every time I pull that trigger thing. Over 600 rounds and it has performed flawlessly.

Paul
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

I have a Springfield Micro Compact in .45. It wasn't cheap but I think I paid <$850 new. A few teething pains and now it runs great.

For a less expensive 1911, Maybe a Para, or EAA. Hmmm......does CZ make a 1911?

Note: CZ makes the Dan Wesson line of 1911's. Not cheap.

Another RIA CS 3.5" 1911 owner that really like's his $419 gun.
    Bersa also make an Ultra Carry 45 in the under 400 range new my Ultra Carry 9mm works great.
    Glock 36 would be a good choice.
    S&W M&P45 compact would be another good choice in the 500 range.

Hope that helps.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Another +1 to RIA guns. I carry a 5" in a surprisingly cheap shoulder holster made by UTG, and it is very comfortable. Now that I am used to it, I sometimes forget it is there. Some have told me that they cannot believe that I carry such a heavy gun, but like all things, you do what you are comfortable with.

Sometimes I also carry my wife's 3" Kimber Ultra Carry, but I do prefer the larger government frame when I can. I'd be interested in getting a 4" Kimber Pro Carry though.

Have no experience with some of the other brands mentioned..but I do own a Colt Officer's Model for many years. It was a first year model when I purchased it new(1985)and it has been worked abit...but a new production Colt Defender or Agent(the heirs to the OM)would be ready out of the box. Just my $.02. Good Luck.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links