Affordable 3" 1911 Options

This is a discussion on Affordable 3" 1911 Options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first gun and CCW weapon is a Ruger LCP. I got it due to its affordability and generally great reviews. I also wanted at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable 3" 1911 Options

My first gun and CCW weapon is a Ruger LCP. I got it due to its affordability and generally great reviews. I also wanted at least one very pocketable cc gun.

I absolutely want a .45 gun that I will use for cc, home defense for the time being, and to shoot at the range. The LCP is NOT a fun gun to shoot. That thing hurts after a few rounds.

I really want a Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II 3" but its more ($1200) than I want to spend at this time. I have been seriously considering a Glock 30 after shooting my friends 26, but I really love the slimness of the 1911's for IWB carry in the Florida summers.

The G30 can be had for $450 to $500ish and that is closer to the range I want to be. Im not sure if a good 3" 1911 can be had for $600 - $700. Can you recommend some good 3" 1911 options?

If you like thin, and already have 'considered' the Glock-30, why not look at the Glock-36. It's not the 3" Ultra CDP (I have one), but it is the thinnest of all the Glocks, and holds 6 + 1 (the Kimber holds 7 + 1).
    If you have to have the 1911, keep on looking.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLuvnLibrl View Post
    My first gun and CCW weapon is a Ruger LCP. I got it due to its affordability and generally great reviews. I also wanted at least one very pocketable cc gun.

I absolutely want a .45 gun that I will use for cc, home defense for the time being, and to shoot at the range. The LCP is NOT a fun gun to shoot. That thing hurts after a few rounds.

I really want a Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II 3" but its more ($1200) than I want to spend at this time. I have been seriously considering a Glock 30 after shooting my friends 26, but I really love the slimness of the 1911's for IWB carry in the Florida summers.

The G30 can be had for $450 to $500ish and that is closer to the range I want to be. Im not sure if a good 3" 1911 can be had for $600 - $700. Can you recommend some good 3" 1911 options?
    Let me give you some advice, save up a little and get a good used kimber/Springfield/Colt 1911. There is a difference as you go up the ladder and even up from my recommendations like Wilson Combat and Nighthawk.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    If you save up a few dollars more and want a 3” 45 the Springfield GI 45 is hard to beat, MRSP is listed as $693 but quite often can be found in the $525-$550 price range. Doesn’t have all the bells and whistles but a good reliable platform and can be customized later if you want.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/d...?item=PW9801LP

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=14
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

For home defense, skip the 3-inch 1911s and move immediately up to at least the 4-inch models. More to choose from, plus statistical reliability is on your side. If the gun is going to stay at home, the needs for light weight and compact size are grossly diminished.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you like thin, and already have 'considered' the Glock-30, why not look at the Glock-36. It's not the 3" Ultra CDP (I have one), but it is the thinnest of all the Glocks, and holds 6 + 1 (the Kimber holds 7 + 1).
    If you have to have the 1911, keep on looking.
    +1 It also has the the same battery of arms as your LCP which is another bonus. Don't get me wrong, the 1911 is a great gun (I own one) but for your needs it sounds like a G36 might be a better choice. I carry a G26 at the moment and have been seriously considering a G36.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

EAJ
    For home defense, skip the 3-inch 1911s and move immediately up to at least the 4-inch models. More to choose from, plus statistical reliability is on your side. If the gun is going to stay at home, the needs for light weight and compact size are grossly diminished.
    +1.

VIP Member
    Here is retsupt99's answer to every question on this board.

(Original poster)

I am looking for a riffle that can hit 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

retsput "Glock 36 should do it, I have a remmington 700 and it's in the safe"

(I am just kidding you bud!)
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have a 1911 Rock Island .45 CS (Compact model). They go for anywhere between 400-500 $$. It has a 3.5 inch barrel with a 7 round mag. Great carry weapon. I know, I know RI's are cheap and with the short barrel it will have all kinds of malfs. There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. As far as malfs go, I haven't had any but what do I know. When I hit the bang switch, it goes bang...every time. I must be doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    I have a 1911 Rock Island .45 CS (Compact model). They go for anywhere between 400-500 $$. It has a 3.5 inch barrel with a 7 round mag. Great carry weapon. I know, I know RI's are cheap and with the short barrel it will have all kinds of malfs. There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. As far as malfs go, I haven't had any but what do I know. When I hit the bang switch, it goes bang...every time. I must be doing something wrong.
    I think you will find that most people around here don't have a issue with inexpensive guns (as some other forums do). We have a issue with cheap/crappy guns. To phrase it another way we often times praise RIA and Bersa as they make quality inexpensive weapons but pan Taurus as they ....well...not so much.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I think you will find that most people around here don't have a issue with inexpensive guns (as some other forums do). We have a issue with cheap/crappy guns. To phrase it another way we often times praise RIA and Bersa as they make quality inexpensive weapons but pan Taurus as they ....well...not so much.
    In my response, I was being a little "tongue in cheek" as they say. I belong to a few forums where the RIA is bashed right along with my selection of the S&W w/external extractor. Some of it is in fun, some of it is hard to say. Even though I have never experienced the problems that some folks seem to have, I usually sit and listen to the "experts" tell me what they think of my selection process. Until I experience something bad with the RI, I will tell people what I think of their product and I, for one, am completely satisfied with the performance of each of my weapons. I hear their customer service is exceptional as well but I cannot speak to that. I dont know anything about Taurus products but there must be some folks that are satisfied otherwise they would be out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Here is retsupt99's answer to every question on this board.

(Original poster)

I am looking for a riffle that can hit 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

retsput "Glock 36 should do it, I have a remmington 700 and it's in the safe"

(I am just kidding you bud!)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you shop around you can find a Para Ordnance Warthawg for around $700. A quality firearm and lots of firepower in a small package. I sure like mine...... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...57#post1723057

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    +1 on anything made under the Armscor banner. I have a full size Citadel that has the same problem as your RIA; it's proving itself to be ever bit as reliable as other names.

Personally, I preferred the 5" barrel and have found it is easily concealable. I've carried it in a Don Hume OWB holster and it was just as concealed as my Glock 23 in an IWB holster. Good luck with your search. Let us know what you settle on.

I'm in the same place. Looking for my first 1911. Probabaly going with a RIA, SA GI, or a Para Ord GI Expert. Just can't make up my mind and can't find any of the above used. Just trying to make my self be patient. not my strong point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links