New Glock 17 Gen 4 and M&P9 today

This is a discussion on New Glock 17 Gen 4 and M&P9 today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, So, as some of you know, I'm a die-hard 1911 fan. I carry a Commander size daily, either a VBOB or a Nighthawk ...

Thread: New Glock 17 Gen 4 and M&P9 today

Hey all,

So, as some of you know, I'm a die-hard 1911 fan. I carry a Commander size daily, either a VBOB or a Nighthawk right now and sometimes one of my others. I own a few Sigs, a handful of HKs and other random handguns plus a number of different rifles. I've owned a few Glocks over the years and carried a 23 for about 6 months and have owned a few M&Ps which I carried also at times. As usual, I sold them off since there's few guns I hold on to for very long. Platforms, yes, but not individual guns unless I really, really like it.

So, with all the 1911 vs Glock nonsense and the new Gen 4 guns, I figured it was time for me to pick one up and another M&P9 since I've found a new love for the 9mm. The M&P had to be ordered, so it'll be here this week some time. Once it comes in, I'll take a case of 9mm to the range and run the heck out of the 17, the M&P and my Sigs (229 SCT and 226 Equinox-style or Blackwater) and do a side-by-side of the four.

Today, I put 350 rounds through the 17. All went perfect, but I almost expected a failure or five due to the dual spring guide rod assembly. I read that all I have to do is call Glock and they'll send me a "02" guide rod assembly. I also shot a 19 Gen 3 and 19 Gen 4 side by side while I was there.

I shot pretty high, but with a little thought, I had it under control and was shooting POA/POI. At 25 yards I was shooting off hand (two handed thumb forward grip) relatively fast and keeping an 8 to 10" group, which isn't that bad. I was easily keeping fist sized groups at 5 to 7 yards as fast as I could fire. The reset is positive as usual for Glock and the trigger isn't too bad.

Once I got home, I took a stone to the bottom finger groove's "checkering" since it was rubbing a little on the inside of my little finger near the middle knuckle. The trigger is ok, but it'll soon get some work, I just need to order the parts. I'll be ordering an Apex sear and striker block for the M&P since it has an awful reset. I'll try to get that ordered before the gun gets here since I shoot off of the reset. For me, the reset is almost more important that a little difference in trigger weight or take-up.

So, I know this isn't much of a review, but I figured I'd mention it. I'll get some pics this week when the M&P comes in and then I'll post a review either that night or the following day.

Shooting the 19's side by side, I didn't see a whole lot of difference, but I think there was a slightly different recoil impulse. It's such a minute amount of recoil that it's hard to tell, but I think it was there. I'm sure in 40 caliber you can notice it a little more.

I'll carry the 17 this week. That was one of my main reasons for wanting one. I need something to carry in the hot South Texas summers when I'll be out for a while and sweating or when I'm near the salt air of the beach. My Sigs took over that role from the 1911's for a little while and I'll continue to rotate them in there, but the Glock is something I won't mind if it get's salt water on it or I sweat while carrying it for hours or I get stuck in the rain, etc. My other main reason is for classes. I love running my 1911's, but I have to say that after 2,000 rounds, I feel the 45 a bit more after that many rounds and I have to reload a bit more. So, for the next class I take, I'll be toting along the 17 and M&P, but I'm sure a 1911 will still tag along for a few hundred rounds or so.

Anyway, it is what it is. A good, dispensable, all around reliable gun that I can treat like crap and it'll still treat me well. My 1911's treat me very well, but I gotta love them back!

Oh, a couple things I noticed that I like about the gun. The new mag release is nice and I don't need to reposition my hand, though I still will since I need to on my other guns. Then I noticed that it's the only gun I own that I can just slide my Surefire X300 right onto without pulling down on the side tabs. All the others need the tabs pulled down to slide on. This is a good, though a very small thing when you think about it.

I plan on beating this thing into the ground. I imagine a 21SF and a 19 will be following relatively soon.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

kpw
    Good review. I like the Gen 4s. I almost bought one last month but my son wanted an OD 17 so...what are ya gonna do. I finally got to fondle a Gen 4 G19 yesterday. I like it. Look forward to more reviews later.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Congrats on the G17 Gen4. I looked hard at the M&P 9 but chose the G17 Gen4 for me. Maybe an M&P 9 will be down the road sometime.

Congrats, great guns and enjoy.

Good deal, Consiglio. Congrats on a good range day. I find my X300's just slide onto my Glock 19's as well. M&P 9mm is next on my Tupperware wish list.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good to hear that your Gen 4 worked well also. Let us know how you changes work out.I was contemplating either a Gen 4 G22 or M&P .40 until an economic downturn put those plans on hold. Maybe soon.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Good reading, thanks. You have quite a nice collection.

You mentioned a side by side shoot on the gen 3 & 4 G19s. What are your comments on that?

Be sure to fill us in on the side by side Glock vs Sig throwdown.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Good to hear that your Gen 4 worked well also. Let us know how you changes work out.I was contemplating either a Gen 4 G22 or M&P .40 until an economic downturn put those plans on hold. Maybe soon.
    It worked better than expected seeing as it doesn't have the updated guide rod assembly. I'll call them today about that. I've taken a big hit with the economy the way it is as well. I own a business and it's rough watching my numbers drop over the past couple years. Hey, at least the check going out at the end of the year is smaller! (Trying to find a bright side)

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Good reading, thanks. You have quite a nice collection.

You mentioned a side by side shoot on the gen 3 & 4 G19s. What are your comments on that?

Be sure to fill us in on the side by side Glock vs Sig throwdown.
    As for the 19's, I only ran a mag through each. A couple slow shots then rapid on a 7 yard target. Obviously there'd be no difference in accuracy, especially at that range, but I like the grip a little better on the Gen 4 and I think I noticed a slight difference in the felt recoil. Not more or less, just the slightest difference in impulse. Now, I have to admit, the guy that brought them out shot them first and said he thought he noticed a difference due to the dual spring assembly....so, maybe it was on my mind when shooting them.

Once the M&P comes in I'll take it along with the Sigs and the 17 and wring them out a bit. I expect everything will be a wash and come down to personal preference, but it's still fun to do!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Links