New summertime carry

New summertime carry

This is a discussion on New summertime carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked this up yesterday, a new Ruger P345. It's the blued, safety/decocker model, & holds 8+1 rounds of .45 ACP. I got it home, ...

Thread: New summertime carry

New summertime carry

I picked this up yesterday, a new Ruger P345. It's the blued, safety/decocker model, & holds 8+1 rounds of .45 ACP. I got it home, gave it a good cleaning, ran 50 rounds of 230 grain fmj through it, & 25 rounds of Fiochi 230 grain jhp through it. It ran fine yesterday, and I decided to run another 25 rounds of Fiochi through it this morning, again with no hiccups.

So, I'm putting the Glock away for the remainder of summer, and slipping this and 2 spare magazines into a Remora holster and dual mag pouch. The thinness of this piece compared to the others in the Ruger P series is amazing. It's almost as thin as the 1911 I've been carrying, and conceals nicely under even some of my tighter t-shirts and polo shirts.

I bought another 100 round box of WWB on my way out of town, and can't wait to continue breaking this bad boy in when I get back home Saturday. (No, there's not a recommended break-in period, it's good to go out of the box.)

It fits my hand nicely, conceals great, has eaten what I've fed it reliably so far, keeps me legal in any area I might go into with a high capacity magazine ban I might have to travel through, is pretty light, & 25 rounds of .45 ACP should be more than enough to deal with any situation I could conceivably find myself in (note to self: Don't off any biker gangs. )

So far, I've got nothing bad to say about it, and would have no problem recommending it to anyone who's looking for a fullsize or compact single stack .45 for carry or home defense (It is railed to accept a laser/light combo, although I never tried my Streamlight TLR-1s on it.)

I do need to get my hands on some "top shelf" hollowpoints to try out, as well as some new nightsights for carry.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Nice gun but way too big for ME for CC but id love to have one for range,HD,use.

GM
    Congrats on the new toy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Congrats, glad you like it.

What model Glock did you have that didn't conceal as well as the Ruger?
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Quote Originally Posted by ckfarris View Post
    What model Glock did you have that didn't conceal as well as the Ruger?
    A G17.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Yeah, a G17 might be a bit more difficult to conceal. Glad you're pleased with it. Now go get some HPs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

An excellent gun! Accurate and nearly indestructable. Try some +P ammo for more bang. The egonomics and polymer frame seems to suck up a bunch of the recoil. As far as concealability, the P345 is designed to be snag-free, and it is pretty darn light. It will conceal and carry better than most 45ACPs.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

CMR
    Congrats.
    My summertime carry is a Kahr CW40 in a Galco Sto-n-Go.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Congrats on the the new acquisition! The 345 is a great gun. I sold my Glock 30 and bought the P345 to replace it, and I have never regretted it. I carry mine in a Crossbreed Supertuck, and just recently made a leather holster for it. Although the gun seems large, its thinness makes it very concealable.

I always say, if everyone knew how good these guns are, everyone would own one! One word of caution; do not dry fire it without the magazine in place. Because it has a mag safety, firing it without the mag inserted will break something inside and the gun will not be able to fire.

I now have 825 flawless rounds through mine.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Yep, the Ruger met several requirements I set for a new gun:

- Thin
    - Single stack .45
    - Light polymer frame
    - DAO or DA/SA
    - Able to handle +P
    - Full sized or Compact

From what I was able to find, that narrowed my choices down considerably. It was between the Ruger or Sig Sauer P220. My LGS had both in stock, so last week I went and handled both. Long story short, the Ruger met all those requirements and was much easier on the wallet as well. I've heard that Glock is working on one as well, but I've got no idea when that would ever come out or if it's just an Internet rumor to begin with. (from AR15.com)

Day two of wearing it so far. 700 miles driven so far, and the gun has ridden very comfortably IWB. To the best of my knowledge, I haven't drawn a second glance yet that I'm aware of (I'm wearing it under just a t-shirt.)

Μολών λαβέ!

I handled one of these in the store several months ago when it caught my eye. Felt very nice and appeared to be well built. If it is as rugged, reliable, and accurate as my P95, it would be hard to beat. Congrats on the new firearm...I'm going to have to keep this tucked away for consideration if I decide to get a 45.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Hope it continues to meet your expectations.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    My brother has a P345 and loves it.

He wanted a CZ 97B but it was heavy and far more expensive.

So he saved for about a year and made the leap.

His rifles are also Rugers, so it was a small leap to a Ruger pistol.

Sponsored Links