Another satisfied RIA customer-Range report

This is a discussion on Another satisfied RIA customer-Range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With all of the 1911 talk lately, I caught the sickness and had to get one. Friday I purchased a new RIA Officer model and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another satisfied RIA customer-Range report

Talking Another satisfied RIA customer-Range report

With all of the 1911 talk lately, I caught the sickness and had to get one. Friday I purchased a new RIA Officer model and made it to the range today. I put 185 rounds through it. 100 Blazer (230G), 50 Orange box special(230G) and 35 winchester HP(230G). I had 3 malfunctins, 1 FTF, and 2 FTRTB all with the OBS ammo (a semi HP). All the rest fed flawlessly. I was using the magazine it came with and 2 Wilson Combat Mags, all worked well.
    It is a VERY comfortable little pistol and fun to shoot. RIA.jpgRIA RANGE.jpg

This was my double tapping COM, you can see a few flyers, but this was me, not the gun. I was getting 5 shots in a half dollar sized space. All touching with slow fire. It didn't help that I cut my finger on my strong hand just before going to the range and it was throbbing like crazy. It will be fine, though...and so will this RIA.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

2. Remove Ads

I have fond RIA 1911s to be very good!!!!

Their Tactical 5in model is a real winner also.

Hope you continue to enjoy ypur new 1911 RIA.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I have a FS RIA M1911A1 and i love it! it has some FTRB sometimes but its a very accurate .45.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

I like how you said it worked flawlessly right after you said it had 3 malfunctions.

It's like sex panther cologne: 60% of the time, it works every time.

All kidding aside, I've been looking at them.. seems like a much more reasonably priced cure for 1911 fever

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    I like how you said it worked flawlessly right after you said it had 3 malfunctions.

It's like sex panther cologne: 60% of the time, it works every time.

All kidding aside, I've been looking at them.. seems like a much more reasonably priced cure for 1911 fever
    that seems to be the usual with 1911s :p "It worked perfectly....except...." I am interested in a Mid-Size RIA
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    that seems to be the usual with 1911s :p "It worked perfectly....except...." I am interested in a Mid-Size RIA
    A gun having issues with a specific type of ammo definitely isn't a problem only with 1911's.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Orange Box?
    I hear more amd more good reports about RIA firearms. Since you already have Wilson mags, all you need is a trigger job, new recoil spring, install/remove guide rod, tune the extractor, etc. that all 1911s seem to need. Oh, wait--yours worked. Go forth and blast away.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    From your post, why would you be interested in a firearm that has malfunctions? LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    From your post, why would you be interested in a firearm that has malfunctions? LOL
    I was just poking fun at the 1911 guys :p. I can appreciate that some fire arms just need tuning,breaking in and some are just finicky with ammo. Break you weapon and and learn what it likes to eat is all.

I myself am in the market for a PM9, and I know how finicky those can be.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    I was just poking fun at the 1911 guys :p. I can appreciate that some fire arms just need tuning,breaking in and some are just finicky with ammo. Break you weapon and and learn what it likes to eat is all.

I myself am in the market for a PM9, and I know how finicky those can be.
    In all honesty, I am with you in regards to malfunctions. I think I am harsh because my roots are in polymer! For the money I spent on my Kimber, it had better be reliable! I never really had to break it in though, it just eat WWB all day long!

GM
    Congrats on the RIA. Glad you like it.

The gun was brand new. Furthermore, the OP clearly states that the 3 malfunctions occurred when using the 50 rounds of Orange Box Special ammo (never heard about it before). But when using 100 rounds of Blazer and 35 rounds of Winchester HP it worked flawless. It sounds to me like it is an ammo related problem.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Congrats on the RIA. Glad you like it.

The gun was brand new. Furthermore, the OP clearly states that the 3 malfunctions occurred when using the 50 rounds of Orange Box Special ammo (never heard about it before). But when using 100 rounds of Blazer and 35 rounds of Winchester HP it worked flawless. It sounds to me like it is an ammo related problem.
    Are you sure it's not the the orange box Swiss RWS ammo from walmart? Nothing special about that if it is, it's pretty good stuff actually.

GM
    Are you sure it's not the the orange box Swiss RWS ammo from walmart? Nothing special about that if it is, it's pretty good stuff actually.
    I really do not know what Orange Box ammo is; I have never heard about it before. It might be good stuff or it might not be good, I do not know, but since all the failures happened only when using Orange Box ammo I think that most probably it is an ammo related problem. The ammo does not necessarily need to be bad, but the pistol might not like it, or perhaps it was only because the gun was brand new and then that ammo did not work very well. That can happen to all the semi-autos, inclusive poly ones.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I really do not know what Orange Box ammo is; I have never heard about it before. It might be good stuff or it might not be good, I do not know, but since all the failures happened only when using Orange Box ammo I think that most probably it is an ammo related problem. The ammo does not necessarily need to be bad, but the pistol might not like it, or perhaps it was only because the gun was brand new and then that ammo did not work very well. That can happen to all the semi-autos, inclusive poly ones.
    I never heard of orange box ammo either. Time to be enlightened

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Super J View Post
    I never heard of orange box ammo either. Time to be enlightened
    Like I said it's good stuff for plinking. I use the orange box (target pistol) all the time. I will say that some guns can have a couple issues because these tend to have a little harder primer then something like WWB, but I find it to be a bit cleaner and more accurate.

http://www.rws-munition.de/en/sports...n.htm?navid=28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links