yet another 1911 question

This is a discussion on yet another 1911 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry to flood the board with 1911 questions the last couple days. Bare with me as I get up to speed on the weapon. So, ...

Thread: yet another 1911 question

yet another 1911 question

Sorry to flood the board with 1911 questions the last couple days. Bare with me as I get up to speed on the weapon.

So, here my question for the day. I have found a gun on another forum that is a "custom" 1911. It has a clark barrel and compensator and wilson trigger and hammer. as well as Pachmayer grips. The guy wants $650 for it.

My concern is the compensator. I know it adds about 1.5 inches to the length of the gun, making it a not so good candidate for CC. So, would it be worth buying the gun and doing a barrel swap or should I just keep looking?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    "Custom" meaning what? Custom done in my garage or custom done by a someone? For $650 I'm betting done in garage and I would pass not knowing who did the work and what their competence level is.

What is the frame model, Sights etc? no matter what the personalized items are, a AMT or other 1911 is still the same quality gun no matter what the upgrades are. JMHO
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

In accord with what JD says, "custom" is in the eyes of the customizer. A new barrel with proper gunsmith fitting will run you $200 or so. Comps are good on the range and in games, but NOT for defensive purposes. I'd pass this one up.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It has Bomar sights. I'm working on finding out the frame model of the gun.

I advise against carrying any compensated gun for a matter of simple safety. If you must fire from a position of retention you stand a good chance of getting the particulate matter of the muzzle blast into your face and eyes and if the encounter isn't already over, it could make you lose.... If you like the gun, get it and swap the barrel.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

los
    PASS.

JD nailed it.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Yeah, JD had a great point. If the work was done by WILSON COMBAT or one of the acclaimed custom 'Smiths like Jerry Tussey that's one thing, but if it was done by an amateur you're in trouble and the price... well if it seems too good to be true it probably IS.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

It might be swell, but unless the work was done for me, to my specs, it's not really custom. Moreover, I wouldn't sell one of my custom guns, so I have to wonder about why someone else would...
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

JD and ExSoldier have brought up valid points worthy of further consideration if this is to be a carry/defensive firearm.

Biker

GM
    Be aware that I you get a garage “custom” firearm you will not know for sure what the person that played gunsmith really did to the gun. Furthermore, I consider that compensators are a very bad idea when talking about SD firearms.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    In addition to what the others have said, you cannot simply swap barrels on a 1911. Any new barrel has to be properly fitted by someone who knows what they're doing, with the proper tools. A new barrel may also require a new bushing, if the old one fits too loose, which would add additional expense. Unless the seller can document that the modifications were performed by a known, qualified professional and you don't mind the added expense of a new barrel and bushing, plus the fitting costs, I would pass.
    Why not buy a new factory spec gun and then modify it to your liking, which would save you money.
    This deal you're looking at, a "custom" gun for $650 sounds fishy. a bare bones 1911 will run you $650. A true custom gun with the mods you mentioned should be going for $1000+, if done by a pro.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

That pretty much settles that. You guys just confirmed what I was already kind of thinking. Thanks for the help.

Links