Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380 - Page 2

Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

This is a discussion on Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I noticed you're from IL, do they issue carry permits there?just kinda wondering becs of the new law they passed in chicago.. Originally Posted by ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

I noticed you're from IL, do they issue carry permits there?just kinda wondering becs of the new law they passed in chicago..
    Quote Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
    I've just got over 500 rounds thru mine with no problems. When S&W does a production run of say 30,000 pistols a few will have problems, the vast majority will not. My experience with S&W is that if a problem arises they will fix it and make it right. This is why it's so important to put at least 200/300 rounds thru any gun one intends to carry. Usually if there's a defect it will show up early. I own 3 pocket size 380s, a Ruger LCP, a Kahr P380 and my S&W Bodyguard. Of the 3 my Bodyguard I feel is the best of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by paboxcall View Post
    I experienced the exact same problem with my S&W BG 380 Friday afternoon. The BG fired the first 25 rounds flawlessly, impressively actually, when on the 26th round the trigger failed.

Cleared the gun, disassembled it and couldn't find anything apparently wrong. Put it back together, and tried pulling the trigger forward while lightly tapping the slide on the table when the trigger sprung forward. Racked the slide and the trigger went back to its "fired" position by itself.

Its currently on its way back to S&W for root cause analysis and repair. As you, this BG 380 is my first semi as I have always been a revolver guy. I just couldn't resist this little gun for pocket carry when a revolver won't work for CC.

I found the gun to be accurate and a pleasure to shoot. The laser functioned well, and the slide lock worked as designed. Once I got used to the long trigger pull, shooting it accurately was easy. The gun provides a nice sight picture and the textured grip was very comfortable. I'm looking very much forward to getting this gun back with this trigger problem solved and getting a few hundred rounds through it to gain confidence. From what I have read elsewhere, the Bg 380 appears to be functioning well, with others getting a couple hundred rounds thru without a fte or ftf.
    "Root Cause Analysis" That sounds like something the safety nerd at the plant I work at would say.

Smith will make it right I'm sure. It's not like its made by GM!

I thinking fo the last auto 380 they made....can't remember the name, but it was the first completely disposal automatic

One use and it was done....anyone remember what the name of that engineering failure was? I hope SW learned something from that one.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Sorry to hear about these issues. I was playing with the idea to pick one of these up at the next gunshow. I think I'll follow the good advice to give s&w some more time to get rid of the bugs.

I ordered one in may. I don't know if it is good or not that is still on backorder!

Too bad about the problems the .380 is having. I recently purchased a BG 38 and have 100 trouble free rounds through it. Its an awesome gun.

Catching these problems during R&D before the gun is actually released to the public seems like a good idea and a heckuva lot cheaper for S&W over the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota Mike View Post
    That sounds like something the safety nerd at the plant I work at would say.
    Sounds like you secretly envy him. Is it his genius intellect you covet?

The BG 380 went back to the S&W, hope to see it in a week or two and the trigger issue is solved.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I've learned...and re-learned...and re-re-learned...(ok, I'm a little dense sometimes)...NEVER buy a new gun model from ANY maker the first year it comes out.

Never never never!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Never buy a first generation car. never buy a first generation gun........until the bugs are sorted out

If no one bought first generation production products then the manufacture would never realize if one had problems.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    If no one bought first generation production products then the manufacture would never realize if one had problems.
    Nah. There's always folks who "must have" the latest and greatest new gizmo. Let them be the beta testers.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Ruger LCP...1 and 1/2 years old...no problems from day 1...priceless!!!
    Proud NRA member

Think I will put another 200 rounds through mine!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by jbourneidentity View Post
    Catching these problems during R&D before the gun is actually released to the public seems like a good idea and a heckuva lot cheaper for S&W over the long run.
    I completely agree.I guess the idea that they work the bugs out as they go along post release is pretty ridiculous and unacceptable when it comes to guns.

I am really disappointed to, I want one of these pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by vikz View Post
    I noticed you're from IL, do they issue carry permits there?just kinda wondering becs of the new law they passed in chicago..
    vikz, I'm a retired LEO so I'm one of the lucky few that has a permit good in all 50 states. We're going to possibly elect a pro 2'nd Amendment Governor this November, which will hopefully change things here.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Smith and Wesson has AWESOME customer service fast & friendly... I'm sure that they will work until the problem is fixed... it is one benefit of buying from Smith and Wesson is to have amazing customer service... I have never heard a negative comment from anyone about it.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links