Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380 - Page 4

Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

This is a discussion on Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize it's a PITA, but S&W will make them right. It's probably startup problems that wil result in upgrades and refinement to a quality ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

Senior Moderator
    I realize it's a PITA, but S&W will make them right. It's probably startup problems that wil result in upgrades and refinement to a quality pistol. Let's just hope the BG380 doesn't get the trash and bash over this that the Sig P250 is getting for the very same reason.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I think the lesson learned in the quest to make the cheapest guns for the most profit is, "money invested pays off". Me thinks S&W has not done its homework on this line of guns. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    I thinking fo the last auto 380 they made....can't remember the name, but it was the first completely disposal automatic

One use and it was done....anyone remember what the name of that engineering failure was? I hope SW learned something from that one.
    It was the Sigma .380. I have two of them. Scary thing is they also made it in 9mm.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I'm always amused that in threads like this (and there are quite a few, on various boards, about S&W products) there is inevitably the refrain "S&W will make it right!!".

How about S&W make it right the first time??? S&W's QA/QC is a joke, IMO. I now understand who their marketing is targeted at. People who pay too much for substandard guns and don't care that they don't work right out of the box, or even that they have to be sent back to S&W multiple times, because "S&W's customer service is second to none and they pay shipping!!". How do you think their customer service got so good?

I handled a BG .380 last week and must say that the laser activiation is not user friendly. It took too much effort to turn it on and in a BUG role who is going to have the time to turn it on when it is really needed?

I am looking a buying a BG380 but i keep reading about all the problems . Have the problems been fixed or is it you get lucky or you send it back and wait ?
    Thanks for any help..

Quote Originally Posted by Stuie View Post
    I am looking a buying a BG380 but i keep reading about all the problems . Have the problems been fixed or is it you get lucky or you send it back and wait ?
    Thanks for any help..
    I just bought one about a month ago and have since gotten rid of it. Mine was of the latest batch from the factory and the first outing of 50rds it worked fine, but on the second outing and another 50rds the laser button on the rigt side completely stopped working. Figures being that I'm right handed and thats the side I need to work. I read somewhere there is home fix for this problem but damit I shouldn't have to fix a new gun! I had read about this problem prior to buying it but had hopped it wouldn't happen to mine but it did so off it went. My thinking was if this has already happened whats next? Think I'm done with S&W.
    God & Guns!

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    We have sold a lot of them and none have come back , yet.

Ive had my BG380 since last Sept. After over 500 rounds still no problems at all. Really like it alot!

I handled one of these guns and was impressed by the size and operation, except for one thing...In a defensive scenario I don't want to hunt for a switch to turn the laser on. About that time someone gave me a pitted, 1985 vintage Walther PPK/S, which I had Cerakote finished and put on a Crimson Trace last week. Heavier and bigger than Bodyguard, but I realized that the price of my improvements to that gun would've got me the Bodyguard. Fortunately, I have heard nothing but good for repair/warranty work between the consumer and S&W factory.

Being kinda old school, I like the 1929 designed gun that I am carrying, and when I want another gun it is likely to be a 1911 design gun. Pull trigger...gun goes bang, again and again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I handled one of these guns and was impressed by the size and operation, except for one thing...In a defensive scenario I don't want to hunt for a switch to turn the laser on. About that time someone gave me a pitted, 1985 vintage Walther PPK/S, which I had Cerakote finished and put on a Crimson Trace last week. Heavier and bigger than Bodyguard, but I realized that the price of my improvements to that gun would've got me the Bodyguard. Fortunately, I have heard nothing but good for repair/warranty work between the consumer and S&W factory.

Being kinda old school, I like the 1929 designed gun that I am carrying, and when I want another gun it is likely to be a 1911 design gun. Pull trigger...gun goes bang, again and again and again.
    In a defensive situation with one hand on your gun, you ain't using the laser anyway. Frankly, anyone who thinks they are going to are probably endangering their life. On a more controlled, two hand engagement, the laser is fine and accurate.

Anyway, not trying to be critical. But I've seen too many people buy too much into lasers at the range and when you drill them in scenario form, they can't hit the target, let alone center of mass.

The BG is a fine mouse gun. The problems they had look to be solved and of less severe nature than the LCP issues (although probably more common). As for the laser, under the right circumstances, I was shocked how useful I found it (that's not to say that I like the design that S&W used...just that the gun is better with the laser than without).

BTW, picked mine up for $325 out the door.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

ctnv

I purchased my 380 about 3 wks ago and asked the owner about the trigger problem I had read about online. He assured me it had been resolved. My wife and I are both ccw in NV and CT. We took it to the range in AZ and have not had any problem with it so far. Probably fired 100+ rounds. It does have a rather long trigger pull but has works flawlessly so far. My wife likes it better than her j frame sw 38 sp + p but I'd rather shoot my springfield xd 40 subcompact. The 380 is great to carry concealed b/c of it's small profile and weight.

I had sent my BG380 back to S&W for the second time when the takedown pin tried to crawl out on the range floor. I spoke to the CS rep yesterday and he said that was enough, they were going to scrap the gun and would call me early in the week about options. My serial number was EAA xxxx one of the early ones. The yare up to at least EAE now. Current comments on the forums seem to indicate that the problems have been largely solved. I will probably go for getting a replacement with a curent serial number. I like the gun better then the Ruger LCP - less recoil and better sights. The laser switch buttons have been changed so that it is MUCH easier to turn on with either your strong hand index finger or our weak hand thumb when you grip.

I have an EAAxxxx which I have not shot too much. So whats the scoop on these early guns. Are they doing a recall to fix them?
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I want to purchase a s&w bodyguard 380 so does anyone know what serial # range I should be looking for?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links