Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

This is a discussion on Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bugs44 I want to purchase a s&w bodyguard 380 so does anyone know what serial # range I should be looking for? ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

Quote Originally Posted by bugs44 View Post
    I want to purchase a s&w bodyguard 380 so does anyone know what serial # range I should be looking for?
    Current serial numbers are EAJ #### and beyond. I just got my gun back and they had changed the frame, so there is a new EAJ serial number. Took it to the range and had no problems; laser was 'spot on' at 15 yards so nice group all in the 10 ring. Took the gun apart and there are several changes, chief of which is the take down pin is now really hard to get out - it is not likely to fail. TIP: try inserting an EMPTY magazine during disassemble and reassembly. NOTE, I SAID EMPTY

The trigger still has a LOOOONG pull. If someone could figure out what to do about that, a lot of people would be happier.

2. Remove Ads

I just bought one on gunbroker last week, it is supposed to be here today . I asked them what series of serial number it was before I bought it and they said it is an EAJ. I hope mine doesn't have any issues like the earlier ones. I will give a range report after I shoot it if anyone is interested.

The takedown lever needs to be rotated to the 9 oclock position to remove it. The manual says 6 oclock it also says to reinsert it at 3 oclock position it is easier to reinsert it at 9 and then rotate it back to 3 oclock.

body guard .380 is a joke

I'm hearing alot of this -I've had mine for a few months but just recently got the chance to hit the range with it. Trigger mechanism failed within 30 rounds. I'm thinking I might as well clip the BG to the target holder and send it down range and see how many rounds I can land in it with my PPK.

Thanks S&W.

I have an EAJ and it runs perfect. My only complaint is the trigger pull is somewhere beyond 12 lbs. But, I. Know a gunsmith that can fix that problem and then I'll have a fine little carry gun.

Well I have shot about 120 rounds throw my bodyguard no trigger problems with it so far. I'll let you know know if I do at Any time. Well I just looked at my serial number on mine and it is a EAN and in the 2000 number. And no problem yet with trigger.
    Last edited by JDlewis; June 27th, 2011 at 03:33 PM.

Administrator
    If everybody stayed away from buying first year guns there would never be second year guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Danlee View Post
    Just an updaate on my S&W Bodyguard 380. I got about 500 rounds thru it now, not a single problem. I found a nice inside pants holster. You hardly know its there! Shoots very well for such a small gun. Shooting at a life size silhouette at 40 feet I was grouping all insde center chest area, even when rapid firing. I'm really enjoying this gun. I figure with S&W if there is any problem with it down the road I'll be one of the first to own the updated version at no additional cost.
    I say if it looks good to you , go for it! Life's too short to stand on the side line waiting for everything to be just right !
    Hey just wondering what kind of holster you have for your bodyguard. I have a couple of different holsters and I'm not to crazy about. I'm trying to fine one that is comfortable to wear with it. If you have a picture I would like to see it if you don't mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EAK here, runs great so far. I also never buy first year guns, gotta let them work the bugs out. Gotta give credit to the ones that buy em first year so the manufacturer can figure em out.

Anyway, I have been trying out the bulldog cell phone holster in the hot weather. Belt clip is too loose, loop works fine. Its a little big to look like a "cell phone" so Im still on the fence but its light fits the gun well.

Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    I have an EAJ and it runs perfect. My only complaint is the trigger pull is somewhere beyond 12 lbs. But, I. Know a gunsmith that can fix that problem and then I'll have a fine little carry gun.
    Dude,
    Tell us about the gunsmith and the fix for the trigger. how much $$?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I've learned...and re-learned...and re-re-learned...(ok, I'm a little dense sometimes)...NEVER buy a new gun model from ANY maker the first year it comes out.

Never never never!
    This x1000. Also goes for cars and electronics technology. I would say power tools but honestly a lot of those (especially outdoors ones) are just cosmetic revisions (ie it's okay to buy a new-model lawn mower, but avoid the one with a lot of "brand new" features).

I don't know how many on here work in a role where you see a product "realized" (taken from a design to a manufactured product), but one thing you learn is that manufacturers learn as they go. No normal manufacturer is going to figure out every possible issue when they make the first units. It takes a while to figure out how the product is used in the real world and how this will cause it to fail. Usually in the first year a bunch of issues come up and have to be dealt with. Add into this the fact that designs often either get completed late or changed late and you are dealing with a lot of parts that are either to an older (inferior) revision or were rushed into manufacture without proper testing and the results are easy to guess.

I say "normal manufacturer" because some out there are able to overcome this with a BUNCH of testing (airplane manufacturers for instance - I hope!)

Is this the first year they came out with this gun. I'm new to hand guns so I had no clue when I bought mine but so far I think it a good gun.

No. Most Of the original problems with the bodyguard have now been fixed.

Oh ok well I was wondering.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Don't know about the .380 but I had a .38 bodyguard and after 2 months or so was falling apart, the trigger guard was loose and the lever at the top that opens the cylinder was about to fall off. This was when they 1st came out, don't know if they have fixed the issues by now.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links