Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

This is a discussion on Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the feedback. Looking to pick up the .380 and appreciate all the first gen buyers, if not for them then we wouldn't ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback. Looking to pick up the .380 and appreciate all the first gen buyers, if not for them then we wouldn't have improved 2nd gen weapons. I will keep that in mind when I buy first gen and have to deal with the frustration of being the guinea pig.

2. Remove Ads

Disappointed, but great response!

I put about 200 rounds of Winchester (white box) through my BG380 when it malfunctioned. The slide would not fully return (off by about 3/16ths), so I couldn't even break it down to try to remedy the problem.
    Notified S&W who sent me a pre-paid label with which I returned the gun. Took about 3 business days for it to arrive at S&W; they had it for a week, and was just notified that it will be delivered tomorrow.
    I don't know what the problem was (maybe there will be an explanation in with the pistol), but I certanly cannot complain about the way the situation was handled.
    Looking forward to shooting it again.
    Will post info, if and when I receive it.
    By the way....Serial # EAM3***

Hello,

I was at the range recently shooting my BG380. I have run about 500 or 600 rounds through it with just a couple of jams. This past weekend, it jammed, then wouldn't fire. It wouldn't even chamber a round. When I got a chance to look at it, I couldn't disassemble it. The slide won't go back far enough to drop the take down lever or engage the slide lock. I contacted S&W and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I assume I will be sending it in for repairs. Just curious if anyone has heard of a similar problem. I hope I can get my confidence in the gun back, I was really starting to like it.

WOW, I looked everywhere and just noticed the post above. Not sure how I missed it...

Since my last post we had one come back. The slide lock was coming out while firing. We sent it back and Smith replaced the Gun.

I got a BG380 yesterday with serial EAT3xxx. I could not get the takedown lever out. Had to bing the internet to see how to do it. The manual says rotate to 6 o'clock. Had to go to 9 o'clock to get it to release. On reassembly had to snap it in at 9 o'clock. It all seems to be back together and funtioning. Now after reading all this I'm almost afraid to shoot it for the first time! But, I will, tomorrow, at the range. Wish me luck! BTW, I had to wait 3 months to get this and couldn't figure why it was taking so long. I hope it's because it was being reengineered. Also, I like the longish trigger pull.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Update: Went to the range today. Put about 75 rounds thru the BG. Flawless. Accurate. Will have to get used to the difficult trigger pull and the 2 finger grip. My SA XDSC is much smoother. I feel confident to carry it when the XDSC doesn't fit my clothing but I still need to put more rounds thru it to be absolutely sure. I hope they fixed all the problems because it's a nice little guy.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Trouble with a .380 ? Really? Someone upstairs is looking out for you two.

Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    I got a BG380 yesterday with serial EAT3xxx. I could not get the takedown lever out. Had to bing the internet to see how to do it. The manual says rotate to 6 o'clock. Had to go to 9 o'clock to get it to release. On reassembly had to snap it in at 9 o'clock. It all seems to be back together and funtioning. Now after reading all this I'm almost afraid to shoot it for the first time! But, I will, tomorrow, at the range. Wish me luck! BTW, I had to wait 3 months to get this and couldn't figure why it was taking so long. I hope it's because it was being reengineered. Also, I like the longish trigger pull.
    I have the same gun and had the same problem. why it is so hard to get out is because it is new. I almost took mine back because of it. The store told me to shoot it and it would come out easier. So I did and they were right. It because of the spring in the gun is so tight from being new. I shot about 120 rounds threw mine and it comes out a lot easier now. So you should not have no problems with it after that. Let me know if you have any miss fires or light primer strikes I had one light primer strike out of 120 rounds but I shot reg, Hollow point, and power balls threw mine. And the one that was a light prime was a hollow point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S&W BD 380 sound

I just bought my BG.380 I fired 200 rounds through it afterwords I loaded a round and it began to raddle in the chamber, but when i extract the round the sound stops. Is that a normal sound? This is my first pistol and I love it I just have know idea what the sound could be. thanks for the help

serial # eax 4xxx is this a first or second

Quote Originally Posted by Cateye View Post
    Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380
    I purhcased a S&W Bodyguard 380 on Saturday. With great enthusiasm and expectations I took it to the range on Sunday morning for a first shoot. Unfortunately that is all I got! after the first shot the trigger failed to return (trigger return spring or something else failed in the gun). With out taking the gun past the field stripping described in the manual, I have not been able to correct the problem. I will be taking it back to the dealer this morning to see what remedies are available. Obviously this was a great dissapointment. I am a long time fan of S&W revolvers (my wife and I are NRA certified instructors and shoot S&W 340PD's) and this is the first semi automatic I have purchased for self defense.
    is this a first or second edition

I have and EAV version that I bought and still have yet to fire it.
    One more step and it's on!

An I've got an EAZ that I will fire for the first time this weekend. This is not my first mouse gun and I have a standard fluff & buff that I go through with the small autos. I polish the feed ramp and chamber to a mirror finish with the dremel, felt wheel, and jewelers rouge; I lightly polish the slide rails with the same; I polish the surface on the underside of the carrier that resets the hammer; I cycle the action by hand 200-300 times until she is slick as snot. I've had good luck so far with this routine.

Will let you know what happens Saturday

I have put about 300 rounds through mine so far with no problems at all. 1 stovepipe on the first magazine through on the day I bought it but other than that nothing. shoots alittle high though. I love the gun, I usually shoot once a month, 50rds out of my duty weapon, 25 rds bg380, and 25 rds S&W642. I did have to send my 642 back to smith and wesson bc of light-strikes and they have great customer service. once you get it right you will love this gun.

How's it going? First time poster...

I currently have a Walther PPS 9mm, HK USP Compact .40, and a Ruger LCP .380 for off duty carry. My LCP has been flawless since I got it a couple of years ago; however, my largest complaint are the sights (or lack thereof). I cannot stand them and so I set out to find a replacement for my LCP and settled on the BG380. I would be buying a brand new one, ordered directly from Smith & Wesson through my FFL. My question is...has S&W worked out the kinks with the present/current production BG380 models? I understand there were issues with early models...but are all those issues worked out?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links