Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

This is a discussion on Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So far so good with me 100+ rounds & counting....

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    So far so good with me 100+ rounds & counting.

2. Remove Ads

First off, S&W don't sit well with me. Secondly.......380 don't do much for me either. Put both together and I'm thinking not much. One of those things I reckon. Just me.

100 rounds of flawless firing. The laser is intermittent and will be going back to S&W.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcromer View Post
    100 rounds of flawless firing. The laser is intermittent and will be going back to S&W.
    My wife prefers AIWB to Pocket carry for most of her outfits so I bought her a leather Galco "Tuck-n-Go" IWB. But, the leather seems to put pressure on the "switch". She ran the batteries down in just a couple of days. For now she's going back to the "Passport" holster.

-

Bg 380

i recently bought a BG380 after extensive research and trying different options. I wanted a small, decent caliber CCW for my front pocket. I honed in on the .380 (i have a Wather, but too heavy for pocket carry). I looked at the usual options readily available (LCP, P238, Kal-Tec, etc). At first i was concerned over some of the reported issues (Take Down pin, Firing Pin, Laser). If you read enough, all .380 have had some issues. I have heard many good things about this gun so i decided to give them all a fair shot. After firing 4 different .380s, I liked it best overall. There are other aspects of diffent guns i liked better, but overall the BG380 won. The P238 was sweet but i am not buying this for a range gun and save a couple hunderd to boot. I bought the BG380 and am VERY pleased with it. The serial number starts with EAZxxxx.

Pros:
    - Safety being #1(DA, Long Trigger Pull, Safety, Loaded Chamber Indicator). I have absolutely no concerns carrying this 6+1.
    - Solid feel, good but not heafty, very good grip
    - Very Accurate for the intended purpose
    - Low Recoil, no slide wounds or bruised hands - i was pleasantly surprised
    - Over 400 rounds with varying Ammo. NO FTE. Only 1 FTF on cheap ammo, i just pulled the trigger again and it fired. Nice feature over a SAO(P238).
    - Usable Sights
    - Slide stays open on last round
    - Build in Laser (some may think differently, but i like it so far. I practice without it, i wouldn't rely on it - BUT it may come in handy).
    - Easy field/complete strip

Cons:
    - Great sights but no Night Sights
    - Had to "improve" the laser light button. Took about 15 min.

For the Price, Quality, Carryability, Usability - Highly recommend the BG380!

I bought a Bodyguard a couple of weeks ago. Most of my handgun shooting is with competition guns that only have a 20 ounce trigger pull, so going to the looong, heavy trigger of the Bodyguard took some getting used to.

The first time I shot it was at an indoor range, with poor lighting, and even with the target at only 15 yards was having problems shooting any kind of decent group with the iron sights, but, with the laser on, I was able to get about 2" groups. Since then all my shooting has been outside, and I'm a little color blind, so the laser is pretty much useless to me outside, but, I'm getting almost as good of groups with the irons, as I was getting with the laser.

The only real issue I had with the gun, was that it didn't want to feed the last round from the magazine. My first thought was that the spring, in the magazine was too weak (it is prett whimpy) but, when I field stripped it the first time, I checked the extractor tension, and it is really tight! Due to my laziness, I didn't do anything with the extractor, but, now that I've put about 200 rounds through it, it is feeding the last round.

It's no target gun, but, I think it will do the job I bought it for!

FYI XS sights has their Big Dot and Standard Dot night sights available for the S&W Bodyguard 380. I hope this helps. God Bless

XS Big Dot sights for Bodyguard 380 (*pics added*)

Problem with SW Bodyguard laser mounting screw

I have had my BG for about 1 1/2 years probably 1000 rnds through it. After the first few hundred the laser mounting screw backed out far enough that it stopped the slide from cycling, had to send it back to the factory. The slide would not go back the last 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch, which prevented disassembly. After the gun was returned and maybe another 100 rnds through it the same thing happened but this time I managed to force the slide back to disassemble and locktite the screw, (factory said that they do locktite that screw). Eventually the batteries died and I could not remove the screw to replace the batteries, the very small socket head stripped, so back to SW again. They replaced the batteries and screw. I just found again that the screw had backed out. I have learned to check to see if it is tight each time I clean the BG.
    Suggest users make a habit of checking that the laser mounting screw is tight, this may save agrivation and down time. That is the only problem that I have had. The BG is a nice piece to carry concealed.

Don
    GlockG26 likes this.

Problem with ammo or gun?

Got my Bodyguard earlier this summer. Put 50 rounds of Federal hollow points (which is what I carry in it) through it as soon as I got it and it worked fine. Later I put 200 rounds of PMC FMJs through it, and about 7 or 8 times the last round in the mag would not go fully into battery. The first 5 rounds from the mag fired flawlessly, but when the 6th round would feed into the chamber it would be about 1/8th inch or less from going fully into battery. A light tap on the back of the slide would send it into battery and it would fire the last round. This happened with 3 of the 4 mags I was using. Has anybody had a similar issue? I'm wondering if it didn't like the ammo I was shooting the second time or if there is a problem with the gun.

Cool Smith and Wesson BodyGuard 380 broken firing pin!

This is the second time around with a late #Ebr series! The first time less than 100 rounds the last
    portion of the firing pin fell out, back to Smith!
    When I got it back testing with snapcaps the firing pin broke again!
    Check this site looks like a common problem since the beginning!

2nd bodyguard 380 broken firing pin DONT DRYFIRE

Looks like some gunsmiths out there have a fix so why does Smith not have one!
    We will see when I get it back for the second time!
    I like the weapon for its looks and functionality!
    But it needs to work!!!!

Bought my Bodyguard 380 in June 2012. At the range yesterday slide locked open after 6th round, would not close. Returned to shop where purchased and they are sending back to S&W. Had put approximately 250 rounds though gun prior to this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    This is the second time around with a late #Ebr series! The first time less than 100 rounds the last
    portion of the firing pin fell out, back to Smith!
    When I got it back testing with snapcaps the firing pin broke again!
    Check this site looks like a common problem since the beginning!

2nd bodyguard 380 broken firing pin DONT DRYFIRE

Looks like some gunsmiths out there have a fix so why does Smith not have one!
    We will see when I get it back for the second time!
    I like the weapon for its looks and functionality!
    But it needs to work!!!!
    Ok now the third time back to Smith with a Broken firing pin! What do I do now!

Send it back to Smith with a letter letting them know that you have sent this back to them for the same problem 3 times and you would like a FULL REFUND of your purchase price as you have lost confidence in the pistol. Keep us updated and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Ok now the third time back to Smith with a Broken firing pin! What do I do now!

Well after 3 broken firing pins Smith has agreed to send me a new gun! Hopefully this one will work the way it is made to!!

S&W Bodyguard .380 Woes

I purchased a Bodyguard .380 in early December. It has a late EBR series serial # and failed on its second outing at my local Rod & Gun Club. On round #277, the Insight Laser set screw backed out of its seat, causing the slide to lock up well short of the slide stop. By a stroke of sheer luck, I was able to tilt the frame of the weapon in such a way that the screw momentarily seated itself, allowing me to fully retract the slide and field strip the firearm. It was then that I noticed the loose screw. Once I tightened the screw with the marginal hex wrench supplied, I was able to reassemble a now usable firearm. While I have great respect for Smith&Wesson and own a Model 10, Model 36, Model 5946, a Model 3953TSW, an M&P Shield .40, and an M&P .22 in addition to the Bodyguard, I am very disappointed that S&W hasn't adequately addressed this design flaw yet.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Links