Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380 - Page 8

Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

This is a discussion on Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To all those members recommending checking the Insight Laser set screw EVERY time the weapon is cleaned: Good advice - the wisdom of which I ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    To all those members recommending checking the Insight Laser set screw EVERY time the weapon is cleaned: Good advice - the wisdom of which I became acquainted this past weekend!

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Bodyguard .380 holsters

Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    Hey just wondering what kind of holster you have for your bodyguard. I have a couple of different holsters and I'm not to crazy about. I'm trying to fine one that is comfortable to wear with it. If you have a picture I would like to see it if you don't mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Desantis Apache ankle holster and the Desantis OWB thumbstrap retention holster specifically made for the Bodyguard .380 are both excellent in my opinion.

let me preface this by saying I am a new gun owner, and don't know a whole heck of a lot about guns apart from firearms safety and field stripping.

Yesterday I purchased a s&w bodyguard .380 the serial number starts with KAC. While I was at the gun shop I fiddled around with the display model for a bit before deciding on my purchase, and of course I ejected and reinserted the magazine a few times to see how it felt in my hands and how easy/difficult it would be.

The sales person brought out the gun I would be taking home and I gave it the once over. When it came time to insert the mag it wouldn't go in. I tried a few times and it just wouldn't budge. I could feel it caught up on something. If I held the magazine release and tried to reinsert the mag it went in smoothly. I mentioned it to the guy at the counter (told me he was a state trooper and a gun smith) and he said it "just needs broken in". Being inexperienced with the mechanics of guns, and only being a glock owner previous to this, I took his word for it.

I've now brought the gun home and it doesn't seem like "breaking it in" is the solution. In fact, it seems that if I continue to try to jam the magazine in that it will eventually break the magazine release (as that is what it is catching on in the well).

Is that a feature of the gun? Do you have to depress the magazine release in order to load the magazine? or do I need to send this new firearm back to S&W already?

Thanks for any info.

-a

Quote Originally Posted by schaefersa View Post
    let me preface this by saying I am a new gun owner, and don't know a whole heck of a lot about guns apart from firearms safety and field stripping.

Yesterday I purchased a s&w bodyguard .380 the serial number starts with KAC. While I was at the gun shop I fiddled around with the display model for a bit before deciding on my purchase, and of course I ejected and reinserted the magazine a few times to see how it felt in my hands and how easy/difficult it would be.

The sales person brought out the gun I would be taking home and I gave it the once over. When it came time to insert the mag it wouldn't go in. I tried a few times and it just wouldn't budge. I could feel it caught up on something. If I held the magazine release and tried to reinsert the mag it went in smoothly. I mentioned it to the guy at the counter (told me he was a state trooper and a gun smith) and he said it "just needs broken in". Being inexperienced with the mechanics of guns, and only being a glock owner previous to this, I took his word for it.

I've now brought the gun home and it doesn't seem like "breaking it in" is the solution. In fact, it seems that if I continue to try to jam the magazine in that it will eventually break the magazine release (as that is what it is catching on in the well).

Is that a feature of the gun? Do you have to depress the magazine release in order to load the magazine? or do I need to send this new firearm back to S&W already?

Thanks for any info.

-a
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the BG purchase. I bought my BG new several months ago, have several hundred rounds through it, and still need to push in the mag release a little when inserting the mag, although it seems easier than when I bought it. I've seen others report this same issue, so I think it is common for the BG 380. Now that I'm used to it, I don't give it a second thought.

Buying Used - Serial No's

I'm getting ready to buy a used SW 380 BG and wanted to know what serial no's to avoid so I don't have the early generation BG problems / headaches to deal with. Thanx.

AM

Just bought new Bodyguard and waiting for ammo now.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMike View Post
    I'm getting ready to buy a used SW 380 BG and wanted to know what serial no's to avoid so I don't have the early generation BG problems / headaches to deal with. Thanx.

AM
    Mike,
    I wanted to buy FTF but, after spending hours reading forums, bought a new one from a dealer instead. It seemed like the safest way to get a reliable gun. My SN is KAF6xxx and hopefully has all the problems worked out. Even with a used BG all the problems are solvable but I would be worried about the earlier models. A common problem seems to be the screw holding in the laser light come loose and won't let it come apart for repair. A little blue loctight should prevent that problem.

All for now.

Good luck whatever you do.

Laser Screw Slide Release Fix

Hi All,
    New owner of a Bodyguard and excited to start shooting.

Before buying a BG I compiled a list of all the problems and fixes users came up with. All the problems looked manageable and, overall, this seemed like the perfect love-hate relationship I've fondly grown accustomed to over the years.

I took the BG apart and went through it carefully looking for the causes of problems mentioned forums. I believe the magazine insertion problem is because the catch is not beveled enough to allow the mag to push it out of the way easily. This is probably solvable such that the magazine goes in smoothly without pushing on the release (bad idea when reloading under stress). Mine does it and I'd like to fix it rather than let the magazine wear down the plastic bevel through repeated insertions. After about 100 insertions there isn't much change.

Next the jammed slide due to a loose laser screw. Two possible fixes.
    #1 I haven't tried but it might work. Simple enough it's worth trying.
    #2 I know it works on a later version BG.

1) On the range, with the chamber empty and an empty magazine inserted: Hold the gun normally (top up) pointing down about 30 degrees and gently tap the bottom (under the laser) on the top of a table or bench. While tapping, try to rack the slide, holding it near the front sight. Pull up on the slide at the same time to increase clearance over the top of the screw. Keep taping and working the slide. The idea is to vibrate the screw by tapping and randomly maybe get lucky enough to get the slide over the top of the screw head and locked open by the empty magazine. The hex head screw will need to be tightened at this point to fully release the slide.

2) I've tried this second technique on my new BG SN KAFxxxx but I don't know if it'll work on older serial numbers. Under the "U" in Bodyguard is a triangular notch in the slide. Position this notch above the take down pin and work the pin clockwise until it loosens up and can be removed. THIS IS REALLY HARD to hold steady because the hammer is being cocked at this point and the slide keeps trying to move one way or the other. HOWEVER there's an easier way. A quick and dirty jig can be made by pounding a nail into a wooden bench such that about 1" is exposed. Wrap the nail with tape or paper to protect the finish on the muzzle end of the slide. With the BG laying on its right side on the bench, the nail will be positioned at the bottom of the barrel at the muzzle end and against the front of the slide. Using the left hand on the grip push FIRMLY until the slide opens 1/8" and the "U" is even with the take down pin. Apply a steady clockwise pressure to the take out pin while VERY SLIGHTLY (1/32") moving the slide back and forth. Keep working the slide as you coax the take out pin to rotate until it clears the keeper spring and can be removed. The slide will then come off. I've done this about 5 times now.

3) And you can always send it back to S&W for repair.

That's about it for now. If you have an earlier SN like EAJ or EAZ it would be nice to know if this technique #2 works on them too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schaefersa View Post

Thanks for any info.

-a
    Depends on how handy you are. I pulled my wife's apart and smoothed out the mag release's bottom edge with some very fine sandpaper and now it works smoothly and still holds securely. Once you get the mag release out after jamming that magazine in a few dozen times, it's apparent where it's hanging up as you will see the wear marks. It's just a poorly designed part that will "wear in" via small gashes and chunks. Yuck.

Now the disclaimaer - A gunsmith is your best bet unless you are experienced with disassembling handguns. Sure, there are a lot of videos out there on disassembling the gun. Use the proper tools and the proper rests - don't use a screwdriver as a punch. And there are small springs that will fly out as you remove the trigger assembly - wear safety glasses and cover the unit with a towel or figure out a good way to locate those springs once they launch.

The mag release is held in place by a sheppherd's crook shaped spring that's easy to remove with a pair of needle nosed pliers once you have the trigger assembly out, then the mag release pulls out of the frame. Use 500 grit paper or finer and just a few strokes on the paper secured to a flat, hard surface. Reasemble the mag release only, try inserting the mag. Once you can insert without depressing the button - stop. You don't want to go too far or you will be looking for a new mag release button.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I would not consider a handgun that required an extra step to insert a magazine ready to carry for self-defense. Just sayin'...

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by Cateye View Post
    Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380
    I purhcased a S&W Bodyguard 380 on Saturday. With great enthusiasm and expectations I took it to the range on Sunday morning for a first shoot. Unfortunately that is all I got! after the first shot the trigger failed to return (trigger return spring or something else failed in the gun). With out taking the gun past the field stripping described in the manual, I have not been able to correct the problem. I will be taking it back to the dealer this morning to see what remedies are available. Obviously this was a great dissapointment. I am a long time fan of S&W revolvers (my wife and I are NRA certified instructors and shoot S&W 340PD's) and this is the first semi automatic I have purchased for self defense.
    I hate to hear that. What a shame. My newest Glock 26 Gen 4 has been flawless, in all fairness, it's only fired 1000 or 1500 rounds now, but still not even a hiccup. Like the three other Glocks that I have - flawless.

Consider looking at them if you want reliability should your life, or the life of your family, friend, or a loved one be on the line. You really want that gun to operate... well, flawlessly.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Quote Originally Posted by saa View Post
    I hate to hear that. What a shame. My newest Glock 26 Gen 4 has been flawless, in all fairness, it's only fired 1000 or 1500 rounds now, but still not even a hiccup. Like the three other Glocks that I have - flawless.

Consider looking at them if you want reliability should your life, or the life of your family, friend, or a loved one be on the line. You really want that gun to operate... well, flawlessly.
    saa.
    My BG has been FLAWLESS for over 1000 rounds.

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco23 View Post
    My BG has been FLAWLESS for over 1000 rounds.
    It appears that Cateye didn't have the same luck, which at the wrong time, can cost life or limb. My point was simply that the Glocks, as well as many other fine firearms, have excellent reputations for reliability. I would dump the problem firearm and get something that you can count on. Glocks are just one option.

I'm happy yours has been good for 1k rounds. It may do well, however, in the one chance that it fails the price tag on that failure can be really high.

I'm a gambling man, but not with self defense. That's all I meant. I hope your happy with yours for years to come!! :)
    saa.

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Quote Originally Posted by saa View Post

saa.
    Where do I get me one of them 100% flawless Glock pocket pistols?

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Where do I get me one of them 100% flawless Glock pocket pistols?
    You'll have to leave the trailer park and find the nearest gun tent where they sell guns over $400.00; if they don't have one they'll contact their local gun rover and get you one from the big city up North way. Good luck, Pard.
    saa.

The bodyguard should have been recalled long ago.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Links