Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

This is a discussion on Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380 I purhcased a S&W Bodyguard 380 on Saturday. With great enthusiasm and expectations I took it to the ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

I purhcased a S&W Bodyguard 380 on Saturday. With great enthusiasm and expectations I took it to the range on Sunday morning for a first shoot. Unfortunately that is all I got! after the first shot the trigger failed to return (trigger return spring or something else failed in the gun). With out taking the gun past the field stripping described in the manual, I have not been able to correct the problem. I will be taking it back to the dealer this morning to see what remedies are available. Obviously this was a great dissapointment. I am a long time fan of S&W revolvers (my wife and I are NRA certified instructors and shoot S&W 340PD's) and this is the first semi automatic I have purchased for self defense.

2. Remove Ads

I experienced the exact same problem with my S&W BG 380 Friday afternoon. The BG fired the first 25 rounds flawlessly, impressively actually, when on the 26th round the trigger failed.

Cleared the gun, disassembled it and couldn't find anything apparently wrong. Put it back together, and tried pulling the trigger forward while lightly tapping the slide on the table when the trigger sprung forward. Racked the slide and the trigger went back to its "fired" position by itself.

Its currently on its way back to S&W for root cause analysis and repair. As you, this BG 380 is my first semi as I have always been a revolver guy. I just couldn't resist this little gun for pocket carry when a revolver won't work for CC.

I found the gun to be accurate and a pleasure to shoot. The laser functioned well, and the slide lock worked as designed. Once I got used to the long trigger pull, shooting it accurately was easy. The gun provides a nice sight picture and the textured grip was very comfortable. I'm looking very much forward to getting this gun back with this trigger problem solved and getting a few hundred rounds through it to gain confidence. From what I have read elsewhere, the Bg 380 appears to be functioning well, with others getting a couple hundred rounds thru without a fte or ftf.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'll stick with my Walther PPK/S and SIG P232.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That's a bummer to hear, two reports of trigger problems. Time to put that lifetime warrenty to work. Hope the issues are taken care of quickly.

Just finished reading the glowing review of the BG .380 and .38 in the latest Guns & Ammo, and of course, theirs worked fine. I don't put a lot of salt in periodical reviews.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've learned...and re-learned...and re-re-learned...(ok, I'm a little dense sometimes)...NEVER buy a new gun model from ANY maker the first year it comes out.

Never never never!
    C hawk Glock and Marc1103 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

As with *ALL* manufactures they will ALL have problems. I just got mine about a week or so ago and have shot 150 problem free rounds. What is your serial number count ??? The one I have is in the low 1000's. God Bless :)

GM
    Too bad that it should happen. The gun does not necessarily need to be a bad firearm, the problem is that it is too new and for that reason it still has many bugs. I hope they can fix the problem very soon.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I've learned...and re-learned...and re-re-learned...(ok, I'm a little dense sometimes)...NEVER buy a new gun model from ANY maker the first year it comes out.

Never never never!
    Never buy a first generation car. never buy a first generation gun........until the bugs are sorted out
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Never buy a first generation car. never buy a first generation gun........until the bugs are sorted out
    Yup. It's not just a question of bugs being worked out...makers learn as they go, and later generations are frequently upgraded. While there might not be an improvement in function, there might be in long-term durability.

My wife's LCP was an early one. After the takedown pin head sheared off, Ruger rebuilt it to the "latest" standard (for free) - only the barrel and frame are original. Compared to my own (newer - now older?) LCP, I can see where hers has more steel around the ejection port on the left side of the slide - the cut is now rounded instead of a right angle. No doubt, this is more durable to stress. The cut in the frame for the slide stop is also different now.

I went through the same thing with my Kahr PM9s - numerous "improvements" from my first (early) one to my later replacement gun. Still didn't run like I wanted, so I sold it.

I think I've finally learned my lesson...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Man! Just bought one yesterday too. Well I haven't shot it yet. So I'm crossing my fingers

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Uh-oh! Saw a couple of problem posts about the BG .380 on the S&W forum also.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Problems with Bodyguard 380....AN UPDATE.

I received a replacement for the pistol that failed after the first shot and proceeded to the range for testing. Unfortunately, this replacement also failed with exactly the same failure mode as the first one after only 15 rounds. Disappointed again, I returned it for yet a third replacement (yes, I am determined). This time the trigger remained in tact for 100+ rounds. However, the takedown pin came loose on two occasions (one of which resulted in a smoke stack) and the left side laser button requires superhuman force to activate. It should be noted that the third replacement was selected based on a serial number approximately 2000 digits removed from the first two. I love the feel and features of this gun and will return the third replacement to the factory to get the laser button repaired and to tighten the takedown pin. I know that S&W will eventually "make it right". Oh, I should also mention that this gun shoots low (off hand and benched) as noted in another post on this forum today.

Quote Originally Posted by Cateye View Post
    I received a replacement for the pistol that failed after the first shot and proceeded to the range for testing. Unfortunately, this replacement also failed with exactly the same failure mode as the first one after only 15 rounds. Disappointed again, I returned it for yet a third replacement (yes, I am determined). This time the trigger remained in tact for 100+ rounds. However, the takedown pin came loose on two occasions (one of which resulted in a smoke stack) and the left side laser button requires superhuman force to activate. It should be noted that the third replacement was selected based on a serial number approximately 2000 digits removed from the first two. I love the feel and features of this gun and will return the third replacement to the factory to get the laser button repaired and to tighten the takedown pin. I know that S&W will eventually "make it right". Oh, I should also mention that this gun shoots low (off hand and benched) as noted in another post on this forum today.

Interesting, my serial number is right at the beginning of 1000's. I wonder how many were on the first production run ??? God Bless

I am very interested in this gun and very sorry to hear of these problems. I also read the Guns and Ammo review and was impressed. Seems odd that a defect this common would be missed in testing at the manufacturer.

I've just got over 500 rounds thru mine with no problems. When S&W does a production run of say 30,000 pistols a few will have problems, the vast majority will not. My experience with S&W is that if a problem arises they will fix it and make it right. This is why it's so important to put at least 200/300 rounds thru any gun one intends to carry. Usually if there's a defect it will show up early. I own 3 pocket size 380s, a Ruger LCP, a Kahr P380 and my S&W Bodyguard. Of the 3 my Bodyguard I feel is the best of the bunch.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links