New Month Another Gun .......

This is a discussion on New Month Another Gun ....... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last month I purchased two guns, the Diamondback .380 at a resonable price and the departmental trade in of a G-26 at a really good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Month Another Gun .......

Talking New Month Another Gun .......

Last month I purchased two guns, the Diamondback .380 at a resonable price and the departmental trade in of a G-26 at a really good price. Today I had to take three of the departmental Remington 870's to a local gun shop to have some minor work performed by a Remington Armorer that works there. When I entered the store I noticed a large table filled with various handguns and having been in this shop numerous times I knew that this was an estate sale. I dropped off the shotguns and walked over to the table just to look at what was there. There was a variety of semi autos and revolvers including 1911's, long barrreled S&W .357 and 44 mags and HK's. The prices were very resonable but I really had no need for what was there until I saw the SP 101. As I picked it up and opened the cylinder I knew I was in serious trouble. I closed the cylinder, cocked the hammer, lowered the hammer keeping the trigger engaged to the rear and attempted to turn the cylinder. No movement. Tight as tight could be. I opened the cylinder and looked at the recoil shield and breechface which showed very light case marks. Now I really knew I was in trouble. The price for me from the shop owner (who I have bought several guns in the past from including the Diamondback last month) was $350 cash out the door. I am hopeless. I cannot go into any gunshops for the next year. I cannot go to any gunshows ever. I will however be going to my gun club on Friday to shoot my new Ruger. Sometimes It's good to be me.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't be able to pass up a SP101 for 350.00 either.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Good purchase. The SP101 to me is like many think of the J-Frame Smith's....everyone needs one. How long is the barrel?

Lucky, I sometimes run into good deals Sounds like you did GREAT ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    You're on a roll! I've only bought one so far this year, because I'm saving myself for the Greenville show in Sept.

Talking

Barrel length from forcing cone to muzzle is 2 1/4". I have had a good year with overtime and I may well retire next year so now is the time for me to indulge myself. Years ago I had a Ruger Speed 6 which I sold to a friend and the quality of the weapon was A-1. This will be a good gun for me when I am to old and feeble to rack the slides on my Glocks......
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And you didn't PM me and tell me? Man! Now I guess i have to go sort through the leftovers. I knew you couldn't turn down the G26.

"This will be a good gun for me when I am to old and feeble to rack the slides on my Glocks"
    I see an "Old cronie racking accessory" on sale in a store near you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Nice pick up...I either never find those deals or dont have the funds when I do. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Great find! Congrats!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Congrats, you got a great deal. I have an SP101 and love mine. It is my favorite revolver, built like a tank!!!!!

Cool

I will shoot it on Friday for the first time but the action feels really smooth during dry practice. I think I am going to like this new member of the family. Any suggestions on what .357 ammo to use. I have some Cor-Bon .38 spl 110 grain +p+ from the late 90's that I will carry for now but I am thinking the 125 grain .357 may be a tad on the hot recoil side. I really prefer carrying .357 in a .357 though. I use to carry the Winchester Q4204 110 grain .357 in my Model 66 years ago as a duty round because the Feds used it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old School, man you're driving me crazy. Just got a few $ for my birthday and I'm going back and forth trying to decide between a SP-101 or a bunch of new Maxpedition gear (Yeah, I know what most folks here would pick). And every time I think I've got it settled, something comes up pushing me in the other direction.
    Just finished planning out a great, modular Maxpedition set up that would be really useful and a whole lot less $. The Ruger is the more expensive option and would require more ammo, a new holster, etc. but my gut is telling me to go for it anyway. Now your post - it could have been ANY firearm but no... it's a 101. Must be fate my friend.

Anyway - best of luck with your new addition!

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I will shoot it on Friday for the first time but the action feels really smooth during dry practice. I think I am going to like this new member of the family. Any suggestions on what .357 ammo to use. I have some Cor-Bon .38 spl 110 grain +p+ from the late 90's that I will carry for now but I am thinking the 125 grain .357 may be a tad on the hot recoil side. I really prefer carrying .357 in a .357 though. I use to carry the Winchester Q4204 110 grain .357 in my Model 66 years ago as a duty round because the Feds used it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I just picked one up about 3 weeks ago and was surprised at how little felt recoil there was and I shot rounds of .38spl +P, 125 gr. Corbon DPX .357mag, Speer GDHP 135 gr. short barrel, and 158 gr. Speer GDHP.
    For carry purposes I load my SP101 with the Speer GDHP 135 gr. short barrel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7H8bQZuZ0M
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Vtxdpm View Post
    Old School, man you're driving me crazy. Just got a few $ for my birthday and I'm going back and forth trying to decide between a SP-101 or a bunch of new Maxpedition gear (Yeah, I know what most folks here would pick). And every time I think I've got it settled, something comes up pushing me in the other direction.
    Just finished planning out a great, modular Maxpedition set up that would be really useful and a whole lot less $. The Ruger is the more expensive option and would require more ammo, a new holster, etc. but my gut is telling me to go for it anyway. Now your post - it could have been ANY firearm but no... it's a 101. Must be fate my friend.

Anyway - best of luck with your new addition!
    I am still using my old ALICE gear but then I do not rough it as much as I use to. The Ruger was a great find and being an old guy with all the kids out of the house and on their own I have some expendable income for toys. The more I handle the 101 the better I like my decision to make the purchase and again it is pre-owned so I saved. I seldom buy new.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    I just picked one up about 3 weeks ago and was surprised at how little felt recoil there was and I shot rounds of .38spl +P, 125 gr. Corbon DPX .357mag, Speer GDHP 135 gr. short barrel, and 158 gr. Speer GDHP.
    For carry purposes I load my SP101 with the Speer GDHP 135 gr. short barrel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7H8bQZuZ0M
    I really like Speer Gold Dot in my G-23 and Diamondback .380 so I am going to take your suggestion and see if I can find any locally. All of the online ammo dealers that I use (Ammunition to go, LTD and Midway) are currently out of the GDHP 135 gr. short barrel. I did pick up some Winchester Q 4204 last night at LTD just to get started. Thanks again for your imput.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links