Bought my wife her first handgun

This is a discussion on Bought my wife her first handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, went to a new local gun store, new to me...first time there. I recently received my conceal permit, so I went to window shop ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought my wife her first handgun

Ok, went to a new local gun store, new to me...first time there. I recently received my conceal permit, so I went to window shop (and hopefully pick myself up something). They just got in a used Taurus Slim 709. It was $100 off the new price. This is a gun, that I was going there to look at. My wife loved it and I couldn't pass up the price.

I have the Glock 17, so one round, different guns...is my motto. She bought me the G17 for my birthday. She suggested I trade the Glock for something smaller to conceal...ugh, I'd hate to give up my first gun...

I'm hoping she doesn't like it

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    G19, same round slightly smaller.
    And what's wrong with having more than one caliber?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Nothing wrong with caliber choice. But gun buying is still in the infant stage. She'll suggest it...I'll wait for that day...patiently. Jump in the car when she does and don't give time to change her mind. :)

I'll second the GLOCK 19, it's my EDC, HD, competition, range gun. It's like a multi-gun!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I have both the G19 and the G17. The G19 is my EDC and the G17 stays at home for HD.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

sgb
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. just my .02
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Skip the taurus just search the taurus 709 on google and listen to the complaints. Taurus CS is horrible.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Can't skip the 709, already bought it. I personally like the gun. More importantly, my wife does. I'm sticking with a glock, no matter what. She wanted something slim and small. .380 was out as well as a snubbie .38. Didn't like the recoil on those.

Yes, I've heard the Taurus CS complaints....blah blah blah. I've also heard the positive reviews from owners as well. Will it go bang, when it needs to...probably.

Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    Yes, I've heard the Taurus CS complaints....blah blah blah. I've also heard the positive reviews from owners as well. Will it go bang, when it needs to...probably.
    - I don't own any Taurus guns, but make sure you run a few hundreds rounds through it at the range. You don't want to bet on "probably" when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I don't own any Taurus guns, but make sure you run a few hundreds rounds through it at the range. You don't want to bet on "probably" when you need it.
    For sure. She's itching to go to the range...bad.

You can't give up the Glock she bought you for your birthday. Keep it, be patient, and buy something else later - maybe a Glock 19, or maybe something else entirely.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    My thoughts exactly
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Skip the taurus just search the taurus 709 on google and listen to the complaints. Taurus CS is horrible.
    Some here have guns by Taurus that provide good service but far far to many get the horns from the bull.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

My comment above stating "probably" was not in any way meant to give as, me having some doubt as if it would fire when and if needed. I would not allow my wife to carry a gun that I wouldn't carry myself to protect her or my daughter.

I was more of a quick remark, due to "if it's not a glock, 1911, etc...it can't work and shouldn't be carried".

Question: how many real world users send their guns in? Honest question, as I also am a member of a photography forum and I here the same thing... Canons service this, sigma that, nikon does what??? I'm only wondering if this is gear head mentality. <--- not an insult, just a term I'm familiar with. Again, this was an honest question.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. just my .02
    +1! Not any of their new stuff impresses me one bit....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links