Need spray on finish advice

This is a discussion on Need spray on finish advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kahr PM9 and want to refinish the stainless slide..to a black version. Anyone use Duracoat, Cereama-coat, and or dura bake? Also, would ...

Thread: Need spray on finish advice

Need spray on finish advice

I have a Kahr PM9 and want to refinish the stainless slide..to a black version. Anyone use Duracoat, Cereama-coat, and or dura bake? Also, would you spray the inside of the slide?? Advice, pics..thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Yep, I probably do 30 guns a year. You can do the inside of the slide, but stay out of any tight areas. You'll want to stay out of the inner workings of the slide (striker channel, etc). I generally strip the whole slide, mask what I don't want Duracoat on, and shoot it.

Heads up--with any finish your prep work will determine the success or failure of the endeavor. I degrease the part(s), then put them in an oven for about 45 minutes to get the oil out of the current finish, then degrease again. It's worked every time!
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    +1 on what HK Dan says.
    I did two pistols with no previous experience with an airbrushing. Prep is the key!

The first time, the DuraCoat peeled off with the tape. Poor prep! Worked better the second go around. Did what HK suggested with the oven. If you really botch it up, paint remover will take it right off (voice of experience). If you handy with an airbrush, it's a snap. Tape/plug any tight tolerance areas.

I did a CZ-82 (pics on a thread here somewhere) with S/S finish on frame and slide, matte black on slide release, safety, trigger, etc. The second CZ was Matte Black frame and controls with S/S slide. The Matte black came out okay (Looks good on sights and small parts), not great. Would use a flat or satin black if doing it again. Someone recently posted a slide thay did in satin and it looked good. I don't know if I applied the right thickness or not. We'll see.

If you don't have the equipment (airbrush, etc.) and only plan on doing one gun (or part), you may want to consider shipping the slide off to someone who does it. They have the gear and experience to make it turn out right. That way, it doesn't look "like you did it" as my wife likes to remind me when I take on projects.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

in order of tufness

ceracoat
    gunkote
    duracote/alumahide

Administrator
    Go to youtube. Type Brownell's into the youtube search block.

There are some great Brownell's Step By Step Spray On instructional VIDS posted there.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Tommow night I have to pick up a Sig 226 that was refinished by John Norrell in his shop. I've heard it was great stuff, lots of manufacturers use on parts that they build for the government.

This Sig was a police trade in that was too good to refuse on the price, but it looked as if it was drug behind a pickup truck on a gravel road. He called me and said that it looked like a new gun. We'll see...

Check this out...http://www.molyresin.com/molyresin_about.asp it might be worth looking into.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links