Buying online

This is a discussion on Buying online within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any of you guys have experience buying gun through a website like gunbroker or gunsamerica? I've been looking on there and have found some pretty ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying online

Buying online

Any of you guys have experience buying gun through a website like gunbroker or gunsamerica? I've been looking on there and have found some pretty good deal (not too good to be true). Just wanted to know what you guys thought or what you had experienced.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Haven't had any experience with the two sites that you mentioned but I have purchased two handguns from www.budsgunshop.com and it was a great experience.

Found a few guns through gunbroker....completed the sales via PO Money Order....sent through FFLs.

Key to all of this is communication. Phone and e-mail....if it doesn't feel right (i.e. cash only--through the mail; or a business won't accept credit cards), walk away.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Found a few guns through gunbroker....completed the sales via PO Money Order....sent through FFLs.

Key to all of this is communication. Phone and e-mail....if it doesn't feel right (i.e. cash only--through the mail; or a business won't accept credit cards), walk away.
    That's right. Walk/run away from deals that don't seem right.

Also be extra careful of the deal that is sooooooo good. Remember, if it seems almost too good to be true, then it most likely is not true...

I have made several purchases from Gunbroker, never had a problem. But like the other folks said use common sense, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

VIP Member
    I bought one on Gunbroker that was being handled by a LGS; went well overall; they did wait for cash in hand before shipping.

I've wondered about that. I've never really been tempted to because I've always been able to find anything I wanted at my local dealer, usually for less money by the time you add shipping and transfer fee, but I'd probably consider it I found something I couldn't live without that I don't see everyday.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Well, just remember that if you purchase off of Gunbroker from a person out of your home state, sales tax will not be collected on your purchase. In most cases, that makes up for the shipping and FFL fees. I've bought a number of guns through Gunbroker (as well as through gun forums) and have only had one bad experience. The very first time I tried this, the slimeball cashed my money order and then told me that he had already sold the gun I had bought. Long story short, I got the money back from him . . . but I was leery of buying guns from a non-dealer for some time. Then, once I started I can't seem to stop! lol! Some of the guns are simply hard-to-find pieces (like a Golt Pocket 9 or a S&W 547). Others are simply too good of a deal to pass up (like an unshot S&W Chiefs Special 9mm).

Good luck!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Dealer, yes; individual, no.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Dealer, yes; individual, no.

I agree completely. I really prefer my local gun shop or a dealer at a gun show but that's just me.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I agree completely. I really prefer my local gun shop or a dealer at a gun show but that's just me.
    I would prefer to deal with a local shop too. But I can't seem to find exactly what I want with them. And since I'm really looking more for a used gun I can't exactly special order that.

Gunbroker is a good site. I bought my snub off there. Common sense is key...if it smells bad its probably rotten.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    I would prefer to deal with a local shop too. But I can't seem to find exactly what I want with them. And since I'm really looking more for a used gun I can't exactly special order that.
    I tell my local guy what I am looking for and he checks around for me with other dealers. If you haven't tried that with your local shop you might want to. Good luck.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    Haven't had any experience with the two sites that you mentioned but I have purchased two handguns from www.budsgunshop.com and it was a great experience.
    I concur. Great experience with Bud's Gun Shop.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

I've used Gunbroker numerous times and never had a problem. I look at the sellers feedback and read all the negative ones. Never fear to walk away.
    There's always another one. Set your maximum price and don't go over it one penny. Don't think of it as "winning". Rather buying.
    If you are the buyer, I recommend you communicate right away. Tell them what you are going to do, then do it. I always used a Postal money order because I hear they have a level of protection above a convenience store M/O. However, I don't think the Post Office will help you in reality.
    Shipping will add about $30 and your FFL will have to do a 4433 (?). But they would do it if you bought locally, and shipping is more than offset by sales tax.
    I'd rather buy locally, but I won't pay $100 more to buy the same firearm in a LGS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links