Defensive Carry banner

Buying online

3K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  Viper7 
#1 ·
Any of you guys have experience buying gun through a website like gunbroker or gunsamerica? I've been looking on there and have found some pretty good deal (not too good to be true). Just wanted to know what you guys thought or what you had experienced.

Thanks

#3 ·
Found a few guns through gunbroker....completed the sales via PO Money Order....sent through FFLs.

Key to all of this is communication. Phone and e-mail....if it doesn't feel right (i.e. cash only--through the mail; or a business won't accept credit cards), walk away.

#4 ·
That's right. Walk/run away from deals that don't seem right.

Also be extra careful of the deal that is sooooooo good. Remember, if it seems almost too good to be true, then it most likely is not true...

#7 ·
I've wondered about that. I've never really been tempted to because I've always been able to find anything I wanted at my local dealer, usually for less money by the time you add shipping and transfer fee, but I'd probably consider it I found something I couldn't live without that I don't see everyday.

#8 ·
Well, just remember that if you purchase off of Gunbroker from a person out of your home state, sales tax will not be collected on your purchase. In most cases, that makes up for the shipping and FFL fees. I've bought a number of guns through Gunbroker (as well as through gun forums) and have only had one bad experience. The very first time I tried this, the slimeball cashed my money order and then told me that he had already sold the gun I had bought. Long story short, I got the money back from him . . . but I was leery of buying guns from a non-dealer for some time. Then, once I started I can't seem to stop! lol! Some of the guns are simply hard-to-find pieces (like a Golt Pocket 9 or a S&W 547). Others are simply too good of a deal to pass up (like an unshot S&W Chiefs Special 9mm).

Good luck!

#12 ·
Gunbroker is a good site. I bought my snub off there. Common sense is key...if it smells bad its probably rotten.

#15 ·
I've used Gunbroker numerous times and never had a problem. I look at the sellers feedback and read all the negative ones. Never fear to walk away.
There's always another one. Set your maximum price and don't go over it one penny. Don't think of it as "winning". Rather buying.
If you are the buyer, I recommend you communicate right away. Tell them what you are going to do, then do it. I always used a Postal money order because I hear they have a level of protection above a convenience store M/O. However, I don't think the Post Office will help you in reality.
Shipping will add about $30 and your FFL will have to do a 4433 (?). But they would do it if you bought locally, and shipping is more than offset by sales tax.
I'd rather buy locally, but I won't pay $100 more to buy the same firearm in a LGS.

#17 ·
Bought one from Bud's Gun Shop ~ Included shipping in price. Only time I've bought online, and good experience.

You do have to watch where you buy. Always research the site before placing the order.

#18 ·
Since my earlier response, I got to thinking . . . why am I as likely to buy from the Internet (gunbroker, guns america, gun forum, etc.) as I am from a local gun dealer? After all, shouldn't I want to support local shops? Well . . . where do I buy most of my electronic equipment, computers, etc?? From the Internet. Local shops simply don't match (usually) the price and variety available from the various Internet sources. I'm nearby several large gun dealers. They all jack up the price to support the bricks & mortar around them. Now, there is a small local gun store that goes on volume, rather than prices. There I can find good used guns at great prices. I stop by there frequently. I've noticed that the local gun shops that pay straight hourly wages (rather than commissions) provide the better deals.

Anyways . . . that was what I was thinking later today on this matter!

#19 ·
Gun Broker was a nightmare for me the FFL dealers took to long and the seller ended up switching the FFL dealer he was using because his FFL wouldn't contact my FFL... I don't think I'll buy off Gun Broker again.

#21 ·
Bought or sold 30 guns on GB.....not a bad experience. I just yesterday bought a Kahr PM9 black rose. Awaitin the arrival.

#22 ·
I've bought and sold through both probably about 15 times or so. A great experience every time. Better than my experience with eBay actually, percentage wise.

#23 ·
I've bought several guns online and have been happy with each transaction. (knock on wood) Some advice, if I may...

If the deal seems too good to be true - it probably is. If something doesn't seem right about anything, back off. Ask for detailed descriptions and pictures. Ask about a return policy.

As always - caveat emptor.

#24 ·
I think inventions like ebay, gunbroker, auctionarms, etc are the best thing that every happened to the world we live in today. This invention has allowed me to purchase MANY things that i have every wanted at less than what i would have paid for at the store. With that said, I have boughten lots of guns from auctionarms and gunbroker without any problems at all. Every time I have boughten a gun from these websites, I have saved money ranging from $35-$100 on each peace....and these are the savings after i have calculated shipping, 3% CC upcharge, and FFL transfer fees. I am yet to buy something using a money order or a check of some kind only because by using a CC, you are safeguarding your purchase. If a deal should ever go raw, all i have to do is call my CC company and open up a case of 'non delivery of goods' and the money get deposited back almost immediately. My rule, is always use a credit card to trace the purchase. Plus...more times than not, if someone accepts CC payments, more than likely they have a business ...and that is always better than dealing with an individual alone. Not that dealing with an individual is bad. I have boughten some guns from people without a dealer license and so far the transactions have gone smoothly. Hope my feedback helps.

#25 ·
I bought what was described as a "like new in box, flawless" Colt Python and sent in my money order. When I tried to fire it it would only fire one time and then the hammer would jam. It had to be sent back to Colt for an extra $200. The seller said "too bad I did not know it had a problem because it was a consignment gun" and Gunbroker said they would do nothing because i fired the gun. Of course I would never know the gun was defective unless i tried to fire it.

lesson learned was only buy with a credit card !!!

#26 ·
I just bought a S&W 4516 from GunsAmerica. Sent the seller a check last Friday and just picked my gun up at my FFL today. The gun was as described and I couldn't be happier. The seller had a 100% rating and over 2400 sales so I figured that he would be reliable and he was. I plan on posting pics and a range report soon.

#27 ·
I bought my Kahr PM9 NEW by finding it on Gunbroker for the price I wanted, but it was a dealer. I honestly tried very hard to find the PM9 locally, but it was hard to find and the dealers that had a PM9 wanted big $$$ for it.

I also called the Listing/Seller Firearms Dealer directly instead of purchasing through the Gunbroker website. I guess for peace of mind I just wanted to verify the seller was who they claimed to be. The Dealer also had a website and real "brick & morter" storefront.

I am extremely pleased with my purchase and the transaction.

I would buy from a verified dealer, but probably not from an individual.

#28 ·
I bought my M&P through www.galleryofguns.com. Just use their gungenie. It will tell you which of your local shops will give you the best deal on it. (The site is actually a distributor, so they wholesale it to the local shop; the local shop then sells it to you). It takes about 2 days from online order to instore pickup. The offer their own lifetime replacement warranty on everything they sell as well.

#30 ·
Most of my purchases have been through Davidson's/Gun Genie and their customer service has been exceptional. After some recent findings regarding Bud's Gun Shop, I'll always go with Davidson's.

I've bought two pistols through Bud's and everything went smoothly, but I recently found the following link:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/buds-gunshop-c212331.html

Someone on the Sig forum posted how they had sold his layaway pistol and didn't apologize or anything. He didn't lose anything, though, and was able to transfer funds to another item.

There's a member of the XD Talk forum on the other hand that was sent the wrong pistol completely. He had ordered a .357 Magnum, but Bud's sent him a .38 Special. The CS rep told him that if he wanted the .357, he would have to send the .38 back (most likely on his dime) AND pay a restocking fee! A VP at Bud's finally had to step in to clear things up. Here's the link:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/151415-very-bad-experience-buds-gun-shop-line-center.html

I prefer for my transactions/purchases to be smooth and pain free. I'd have to think twice about dealing with Bud's again.

#31 ·
I haven't tried the auction sites, but I have bought three pistols from Bud's, two used and one new, and they have been as good or better than advertised. I would certainly recommend them if you can't find what you want locally or the price differential is too large.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.