Glock 36: Range Report - Initial Impressions

This is a discussion on Glock 36: Range Report - Initial Impressions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since getting this new-to-me Glock 36 I've been itching to take it to the range. In the meantime I'd been reading up as much as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 36: Range Report - Initial Impressions

Glock 36: Range Report - Initial Impressions

Since getting this new-to-me Glock 36 I've been itching to take it to the range. In the meantime I'd been reading up as much as possible on other's experiences with this model. Some of the reviews have been glowing while others have been troubling. Well, today I had my first opportunity to find out for myself how whether my specific example was either glowing or troubling.

Now, this I didn't have time nor the ammo for an exhaustive test, but I just wanted to do a brief function test to make sure the problems I'd read about aren't apparent in my gun. I just ran a total of 56 round; 50 Federal 230gr FMJ and a mag worth of American Arms 185gr Match JHP. All shooting took place at about 7 yards which is the distance I typically like to practice at so I could compare it to other outings with a couple of my different pistols. Here are my initial shooting impressions.

WOW! I'm very impressed!

Reliability: This is what I was a little worried about after reading some of the reviews, but I came away happy. I had ZERO failures. I know 50+ rounds is not much of a reliability test since some of you feel the need to shoot 200+ through a gun before relying on it, but it didn't bobble at all. It ejected each empty perfectly (one did bounce off the side of the wall and landed behind my neck in my shirt *ouch which is more an issue of using an indoor range than anything about the gun). The slide locked back when it was supposed to every time.

Recoil: I can't believe how soft shooting this gun is. Yes, it recoils (what .45 doesn't?), but it's extremely controllable. As others have said it has more of a push than a flip. That may be due to the low bore axis or the dual recoil spring or the magic plastic of the frame, but it's very easy to get back on target for follow up shots.

Trigger: Very consistent trigger. I actually like how it's not very light and you can feel an almost solid wall when you get to the release point until you push just hard enough to trip the sear. I've always thought Glock triggers felt spongy, but it's so short that I don't even notice it. Compared to my Walther P99c AS trigger it's a shorter pull, but a little heavier (than the P99c's in single action). I think it'll be fairly easy to get use to it though.

Accuracy: I didn't bench rest it, but shooting offhand at 7 yards it was right on the money. I could easily make COM hits in quick succession. The sights are fairly basic, but easy to see. I might look into swapping out the standard front sight for a night sight just for better visibility in low light.

Handling: I've said it before; the single stack grip seems to fit my hand just right. Magazine changes occurred without any drama. The mags don't fall out quite as easily as they do in my Sig or Walther, but neither do they snag. The slide stop is tough to use to drop the slide, but I prefer to slingshot it anyways. I know field stripping a Glock is exclaimed by many to be the "easiest" out of all handguns, but I tend to disagree. It's not difficult, but I wouldn't say it's the easiest. The tips of my fingers just don't get good grip on the takedown levers and I'm not fond of having to dry fire it to decock the striker. P99's have much easier to grab levers and a dedicated decock button which I think is superior than Glock's. Sig's flip down takedown lever is arguably easier to operate as well with no chance of an AD/ND. But it's not like there's ever a life or death contest on how quickly you can field strip your firearm especially when it's as reliable as it should be.

Conclusion:

I walked out of the range today very impressed and happy with my latest acquisition. If you're looking for a compact & light .45 for concealed carry take a long look at the Glock 36. Once I got back in my car I decided to switch it out with my Walther so I'm now carrying the Glock 36 in a SmartCarry (medium sized security model) with a spare mag. Yes, it's very comfortable!
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

2. Remove Ads

los
    Great report.

Sounds like the 36 is a keeper, but then again we ALL knew she would be.!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Great range report! Glad to here there were no issues.

Great, more fuel on the GLOCK compact .45 acp fire burning inside me now...
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

More sooner n later ......... please

Appreciate your "timely" report because the 36 just got put on my list last week as i chip away on my hunt for my 1st peacemaker * Though i'm not close to pack'n anything i'm take'n a break from my DD web reading on specs,etc, etc and going to the range on Thur * At this point i want to get familiar with different trigger types and some other considerations about handeling, like the safetyz and point n shoot stuff ~ i need hands on time now since this is all unfamiliar territory for me . . .

The Glock 36 just creeped on my short list of things to acquire in the future.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

GM
    Thanks for the report. It sounds like you enjoy the G36.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Now what have we been saying all along?
    Congrats on finding out what we all, already knew. It will make a great EDC.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; August 4th, 2010 at 06:53 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a G30SF but have shot a G36 and both guns shot great.

Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    Since getting this new-to-me Glock 36 I've been itching to take it to the range. In the meantime I'd been reading up as much as possible on other's experiences with this model. Some of the reviews have been glowing while others have been troubling. Well, today I had my first opportunity to find out for myself how whether my specific example was either glowing or troubling.

Now, this I didn't have time nor the ammo for an exhaustive test, but I just wanted to do a brief function test to make sure the problems I'd read about aren't apparent in my gun. I just ran a total of 56 round; 50 Federal 230gr FMJ and a mag worth of American Arms 185gr Match JHP. All shooting took place at about 7 yards which is the distance I typically like to practice at so I could compare it to other outings with a couple of my different pistols. Here are my initial shooting impressions.

WOW! I'm very impressed!

Reliability: This is what I was a little worried about after reading some of the reviews, but I came away happy. I had ZERO failures. I know 50+ rounds is not much of a reliability test since some of you feel the need to shoot 200+ through a gun before relying on it, but it didn't bobble at all. It ejected each empty perfectly (one did bounce off the side of the wall and landed behind my neck in my shirt *ouch which is more an issue of using an indoor range than anything about the gun). The slide locked back when it was supposed to every time.

Recoil: I can't believe how soft shooting this gun is. Yes, it recoils (what .45 doesn't?), but it's extremely controllable. As others have said it has more of a push than a flip. That may be due to the low bore axis or the dual recoil spring or the magic plastic of the frame, but it's very easy to get back on target for follow up shots.

Trigger: Very consistent trigger. I actually like how it's not very light and you can feel an almost solid wall when you get to the release point until you push just hard enough to trip the sear. I've always thought Glock triggers felt spongy, but it's so short that I don't even notice it. Compared to my Walther P99c AS trigger it's a shorter pull, but a little heavier (than the P99c's in single action). I think it'll be fairly easy to get use to it though.

Accuracy: I didn't bench rest it, but shooting offhand at 7 yards it was right on the money. I could easily make COM hits in quick succession. The sights are fairly basic, but easy to see. I might look into swapping out the standard front sight for a night sight just for better visibility in low light.

Handling: I've said it before; the single stack grip seems to fit my hand just right. Magazine changes occurred without any drama. The mags don't fall out quite as easily as they do in my Sig or Walther, but neither do they snag. The slide stop is tough to use to drop the slide, but I prefer to slingshot it anyways. I know field stripping a Glock is exclaimed by many to be the "easiest" out of all handguns, but I tend to disagree. It's not difficult, but I wouldn't say it's the easiest. The tips of my fingers just don't get good grip on the takedown levers and I'm not fond of having to dry fire it to decock the striker. P99's have much easier to grab levers and a dedicated decock button which I think is superior than Glock's. Sig's flip down takedown lever is arguably easier to operate as well with no chance of an AD/ND. But it's not like there's ever a life or death contest on how quickly you can field strip your firearm especially when it's as reliable as it should be.

Conclusion:

I walked out of the range today very impressed and happy with my latest acquisition. If you're looking for a compact & light .45 for concealed carry take a long look at the Glock 36. Once I got back in my car I decided to switch it out with my Walther so I'm now carrying the Glock 36 in a SmartCarry (medium sized security model) with a spare mag. Yes, it's very comfortable!
    I had one of the "problem" 36s. This was because the first few runs hadn't gotten the bugs out of new engineering job, different from other Glocks due to single stack. No problem though. Glock, as I heard is SOP, essentially guts the internal parts of the gun and replaces everything (besides the barrel, slide and frame), but almost all internal parts. Not only does this assure your gun is fixed, you get near a new gun. The original runs being largely gone and the engineering bug corrected, it's unlikely your gun will be a problem (and if it is, you get 2/3rd of a new gun). Since then, for my gun: absolutely 0 failures, 0 any problems. a real easy to carry and shoot 45. It weighs the same as one of my Colt snubs, but feels like steel when shot. That plus superb reliability....well, what more could you want (mid-range price too).

Great report, glad it didn't disappoint ya. I knew it wouldn't cause I have one too. IMO, it's a very good offering in the .45 caliber, and they carry very easily.

Congrats.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

great gun, i have never had any problems with the one i got. shoot all brands of ammo the same.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    The Glock 36 just creeped on my short list of things to acquire in the future.
    Its the ONLY Glock id own

mkh
    I just went through the same drill last Thursday with my new Glock 21sf. Put about 75 rounds through it in a mixture of FMJ and my defense loads. Accuracy was pretty good but like you my main concern was functionality. No FTF and no FTE issues. My first Glock and I'm loving it though it is heavier than my XD-40SC.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    See? All those issues of problems with initial G36s are still thrown out there like it happened yesterday and is still a problem. Ah, long live the internet. Ancient history never dies.

Glad you're pleased with it. You'll get the hang of stripping it, and it will be second nature. I've got a G30, and at times I've considered changing over to a 36. Maybe one day.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links