External Safety - Page 2

External Safety

This is a discussion on External Safety within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I much prefer NOT to remove the safety...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: External Safety

I much prefer NOT to remove the safety

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

i carry a glock on and off duty for over 20 years plus... the only way a glock will go off is to put your trigger finger on the trigger and then pull it. i carry with and without a holster. the only a.d.'s i have seen were agents that put their finger on the trigger and then pulled it.

JD
    Administrator

Yet More Options That Meet Your Criteria

Two newer pistols that are 9mm and offer external safties are the Bersa Thunder 9, sa/da with decocker. Or the new for 2006 Wilson Combat ADP???

Bersa makes a fine gun for money, I bought one of thier .380s that I like better than the ppk, due to the slide stop and better DA trigger pull. The Wilson will set you back a little more but who cares...It's a Wilson

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/detail_bersa9.php

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/new_adp.asp

JD
    Administrator

correction

I withdraw my previous statement about the Bersa 9mm having a decocker....I believe it's more like a conventional thumb safety like that of a 1911...but don't quote me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0
    Two newer pistols that are 9mm and offer external safties are the Bersa Thunder 9, sa/da with decocker. Or the new for 2006 Wilson Combat ADP???

The Wilson will set you back a little more but who cares...It's a Wilson
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/new_adp.asp

Wilson. I think I found my new gun. Will do a little research on it, but it looks like it'll do just fine.
    Thanks.

Distinguished Member
    interesting design on that ADP! someone get one and give us a report!
    RKBA

John

Quote Originally Posted by Geo2020
    I have carried a PPK/S for about a year now, and also own a S&W 9mm. ...
    You've got some real good responses. The only thing I would add is to make sure the safety on the gun you purchase operates in the same manner as the safeties on the guns you already own. Pushing up should do exactly the same thing on all three guns and pushing down should do exactly the same thing on all three guns.

IMO, if the operating system of the weapon (manual of arms) is the same, you won't get confused in a panic situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Most of the discharges are not AD's there Negligent Discharges .. I consider Accidental discharges when say the gun is dropped it goes off or during loading and say firing pin broke and was protruding thats A AD to me

If you had it in your hand and finger was obviously on trigger its a ND
    excellent description with which i agree completely.

If you want something 9mm or larger, that won't break the bank, is tough and durable, have you thought about a Makarov?

The usual caliber is 9x18mm (actually more like 9.2x18mm). It is small, though a bit heavier than most pistols it's size as it is made from all steel. The safety is also a decocker, but it moves in a more natural mode of up for safe, and down to fire, unlike most slide mounted safety/decockers.

And you can usually find them for well under $300.00, if not under $200.00. Of course, most of them are used.

Your best choices would be East German Maks, I'm told. But the Bulgarians are also well thought of, if not quite as well finished.

Otherwise, I'd go for a Taurus.

My pimp gun.

9x19mm, 15+1 shots. Can be carried with the hammer down, and locked, or cocked and locked, my preferred method.

JD
    Administrator

Your next CCW

Well if you get the ADP let us all know how it works. I'm thinking of possibly getting one for my wife, Currently she has a Kimber Ultra Stainless in .40 but she has trouble getting the slide back after the second or third immediate action drill, I keep trying to get her to go for the Glock 26 or a Smith "J" frame but she hates the looks and lack of a safey on both, thank God she likes the Bersa .380

Quote Originally Posted by Geo2020
    Also does anyone know what the type of saftey on a PPK/S is called. I see the 1911 is listed to have an external safety too. But for it to work, I understand it has to be cocked and locked. I prefer the PPK style because even if the safety is accidently turned off, you still have the DA trigger pull to contend with. If there was a listing of handguns with the PPK type safety, that would be perfect.
    I think it would be called a 'manual safety with de-cocker'. You are quite right on the 1911 safety, it only works once the pistol is cocked. However the 1911 aslo has a grip safety, so even if the thumb safety is off you have to squeeze the grip to make the trigger move.

AE

I agree 100%.

I didnt buy the H&K P2000 because of the lack of manual safety. I like glocks for a throw around gun and perhaps to leave in my house, but I will not carry one without a manual safety.

My H&K USP C is perfect. I love the safety and the decocker.

Go with a SIG...nice DA pull...safety is keeping your finger off the trigger--plus three internal safeties.

I carried an M9 (Beretta 92F) while deployed--hated it--among other things: the manual safety. I wish I had my SIG.

SIG is your friend.

Mike

Geo2020,

I seems that you like classic defensive sidearms (I am assuming this from what you carry). No one else has even suggested the original high capacity 9x19mm. She is a beauty, and when skill mastered she is on dangerous mistress. She has a frame mounted safety, and a magazine disconnect. However, she will place every bullet with deadly accuracy if you let her. She carries 13 9x19mm in a very sexy manner, and when given the proper tender loving care she will out perform any other handgun on the market. If price is not an issue, and quality is prime concern then you should check out a Cylinder & Slide Pathfinder Browning Hi-Power, or a traditional Hi-power. I ahve carried on for several years, and she is not all that heavy to carry.

PS- Have you checked out a CZ P01, 85, 75, etc? Or have you looked at EAA Polymer witness autos?
    I'll be your Huckleberry!! I have two guns! One for each of you!

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

Quote Originally Posted by arcticelf
    I think it would be called a 'manual safety with de-cocker'. You are quite right on the 1911 safety, it only works once the pistol is cocked. However the 1911 aslo has a grip safety, so even if the thumb safety is off you have to squeeze the grip to make the trigger move.

AE
    Actually, you don't have to squeeze it. You just have to have the proper grip on the pistol. So far as I know, only the HK P7M types require you actually squeeze the grip. AND, on the standard 1911 model, if the hammer is down, squeezing the trigger does nothing....unfortunately.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links