External Safety

External Safety

This is a discussion on External Safety within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried a PPK/S for about a year now, and also own a S&W 9mm. both have manual external safety's. I don't carry the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: External Safety

External Safety

I have carried a PPK/S for about a year now, and also own a S&W 9mm. both have manual external safety's. I don't carry the S&W because it isn't as confortable. I forget I'm wearing the PPK/S. I would like to get another conceal carry gun, but can't find what I am looking for. Would like 9MM or larger, must have manual saftey, be small, light and reliable. price isn't a big concern, but would really like quality. and again will only consider something with an external saftey. I have a Glock that I love to shoot, but will not carry. Have seen too many A.D. without external saftey. I would rather get shot forgetting to remove the safety, than A.D. and hurt someone.

Administrator
    "I would rather get shot forgetting to remove the safety, than A.D. and hurt someone."

I sure would rather that you never get shot & that you never hurt an innocent either.

If you feel better about having an external safety...then that's fine & there are some good options out there.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo2020
    I have carried a PPK/S for about a year now, and also own a S&W 9mm. both have manual external safety's. I don't carry the S&W because it isn't as confortable. I forget I'm wearing the PPK/S. I would like to get another conceal carry gun, but can't find what I am looking for. Would like 9MM or larger, must have manual saftey, be small, light and reliable. price isn't a big concern, but would really like quality. and again will only consider something with an external saftey. I have a Glock that I love to shoot, but will not carry. Have seen too many A.D. without external saftey. I would rather get shot forgetting to remove the safety, than A.D. and hurt someone.
    Consider a SIG
    DA/SA - nothing like the Glock trigger - very hard to "accidently" pull it
    Has an internal BLOCK- just as safe as a DA revolver.
    Or go with their DAK ( double action only) trigger
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Personal Preference but i would rather not get shot

Ive carried everything from a Wheelie to Glock xd's Hk's 1911's

if ya decide to carry a glock ya just need a lot of practice and training with it ..

Most of the discharges are not AD's there Negligent Discharges .. I consider Accidental discharges when say the gun is dropped it goes off or during loading and say firing pin broke and was protruding thats A AD to me

If you had it in your hand and finger was obviously on trigger its a ND

Lead Moderator
    Choices are limited with a external safety. HK's, 1911 compacts, CZ's and similar come to mind.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

H&K USPs or 1911s

You said that you wanted a compact semiauto with an external thumb safety in 9mm or greater. You indicated that quality is very important, and that you are willing to pay for that.

The first gun that comes to mind is a H&K USP compact, which comes in calibers 9mm, .40, .45 and (maybe) .357 Sig. I have one in .40, and the gun is short, lightweight, accurate and absolutely reliable. The external safety doubles as a decocker, and you can use it or not, as you see fit. The gun can also be carried cocked and locked, like a 1911.

The second possibility would be a compact 1911 of some sort, with barrel length of 3 to 4 inches and a lightweight aluminum frame. These are generally .45 caliber, but .40 and 9mm are also out there. The big advantage of the 1911, carried cocked and locked, is the same short, crisp trigger pull on every shot, which enhances accurate shooting. And 1911s are remarkably thin, about 0.9 inches through the slide, which makes concealment easier. If you put slim grips on them, the grip area is only an inch or so in thickness.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I agree with the above poster about SIG's. They are just as safe as a DA revolver, which is very safe. The trigger pull is around 10-12lbs on the first pull and then breaks to around 4-5lbs on the follow ups.

If you have to have a manual safety then think about the Beretta 92-Compact. These are harder to find but they are out there. Never shot one but I hear they are pretty good.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

small 1911

There is a growing number of small 1911s out there. The Kimber Ultra series, Para Ordanance Slim Hawg, Springfield Micro Compact. If you don't want a .45 you can check out the Para Hawg 9 or the STI LS9 and LS40. The Kimber Ultra Carry in SS is also available in .40 S&W
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

If you're willing to consider them (some people won't, which is their lookout), the Taurus Millennium Pro pistols are very nice concealed-carry guns, come in 9mm, .40, and .45ACP, and are DAO, but also have external frame-mounted safeties. They are polymer framed--I don't know if that's a dealbreaker for you, but I suspect not since you have a Glock.

I had both the PT111 (9mm) and PT145 (.45ACP), and both were superb guns--zero malfunctions, ate everything I jammed up their pipes, quite accurate, lightweight, etc. I have heard that the PT745 (I think that's the right number) is also very nice.

Just make sure to get the Millennium PRO line, not the original Millenniums. You will know if you got it right because they say "Millennium PRO" on the slide.

They'll run you about $300-350 new, I think.

Something to consider.

http://www.stiguns.com/

Look at the LS 9mm/.40. I say this with a word of caution: it may require some tweaking, but STI's service is excellent. This really isn't unexpected in a compact, non-.45 1911 style weapon. These are incredibly slim: 3/4" across the slide, and very controllable. Downside: blued (noSS offered, nor polymer finishes), mag activation of slide hold back requires specialized fitting (no last-round hold-open from the factory), and sights are plain black- rear sight is exclusive to the STI LS series. I have two, and really consider them worth it (Teflon coated, retrofit slide stops, and testors White/epoxy on the front sight )

If you have no objection to .45, I would look hard at Springfield's Champion, in stainless- they may be available in 9mm, now, I don't know.

Taurus would have my vote on this. Small, light and manual safety. You can have 9mm, .40, or .45. They wont break the bank either.

Thanks for all the input. I hadn't considered a Tarus, mostly because my perception has been they are cheap. I have read a lot of good stuff regarding them here though. Just mat give one a try.

Also does anyone know what the type of saftey on a PPK/S is called. I see the 1911 is listed to have an external safety too. But for it to work, I understand it has to be cocked and locked. I prefer the PPK style because even if the safety is accidently turned off, you still have the DA trigger pull to contend with. If there was a listing of handguns with the PPK type safety, that would be perfect.

VIP Member
    Geo2020...unless I'm wrong is there isn't really a name for that type of safety beyond my hearing it being called a "Walther-type safety" or a "slide-mounted safety" since Walther ushered in that type of manual safety....slide-mounted, down for safe, up for fire.

S&W semi-autos (except the 1911, SW-99, Sigma, M&P, and some DAO and decocker Third Generation) used the slide-mounted safety.

Many Euro-guns (equipped with manual safeties) elected to place their levers also on the slide.

I'm a manual safety guy, but my current carry guns are not so equipped (SIGARMS P229 and Kahr 9mm's).

I like manual safeties because they add one more tool to the weapon retention toolbox.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Personal Preference but i would rather not get shot

Ive carried everything from a Wheelie to Glock xd's Hk's 1911's

if ya decide to carry a glock ya just need a lot of practice and training with it ..

Most of the discharges are not AD's there Negligent Discharges .. I consider Accidental discharges when say the gun is dropped it goes off or during loading and say firing pin broke and was protruding thats A AD to me If you had it in your hand and finger was obviously on trigger its a ND

I am corrected, It is Negligent Discharges. But I have seen too many video's where people with more training than me have N.D.'d. Does anyone remember the FBI agent who had a ND during a gun safety class he was teaching? There are many more cases just like that one. I wish SIG or Glock made something with External safety.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links