cough, cough, I think I have a Signess and need help!

This is a discussion on cough, cough, I think I have a Signess and need help! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To all of you that have posted your pretty pictures of your Sigs, THANK YOU! I went to the LGS today and they have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cough, cough, I think I have a Signess and need help!

Question cough, cough, I think I have a Signess and need help!

To all of you that have posted your pretty pictures of your Sigs, THANK YOU!
    I went to the LGS today and they have a used 229R that looks to have no holster time and there are no marks on the load ramp. I think it was a safe baby.
    I'm a Glock guy so I need some advice.

1. What do I need to look for when buying a used Sig? I am a gun guy, but never owned a Sig.
    2. Is $699 a fair price, comes w/box and papers, etc.?
    3. Any Glock/Sig owners have advice on which the perfer to carry and why? My edc is a G19.
    4. How do I get my wife to talk to me again? The guess what I found conversation didnt go well.....

Thanks for the help....I think.

2. Remove Ads

I have a P226R and thought that the P229R was not much smaller/lighter. I also carry a Glock 19, and find it smaller and lighter than the 226/229.

That said, the 229 is a fine pistola, and well-regarded. However, for that price, I would save up a few shekels and buy a new duty Sig with night sights and the short reset trigger. That SRT is a considerable upgrade for just a few bucks more.

Check out www.summitgunbroker.com for deals.

I have three Sigs but cary two.. I like to carry full size guns, so they all carry fine for me. As for the price, it sounds good to me. Enjoy it!

Oh, the only way I notice a difference between the two is when i'm carrying outside the waistband under a t-shirt. Otherwise, they're pretty similar with the 229 having a slightly thicker slide. A Glock 17 falls right in the middle for the length PAST the belt line, due to trigger guards. I really enjoy these guns.

226 with Equinox-like slide finish. SRT and thin trigger

229 SCT (18 round mags) with SRT and thin trigger
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thanks for the info guys and the link. Is the SRT mod something that can be done at the house or does it need to go to a gunsmith?

*EDIT - Well, I guess $700 is a little high. I don't have any experience with used 229's and I guess I'm basing that off of the price of mine when new - all were between $1,150 and $1,300.

I did it myself to two of my three. You can order it online sometimes or ask your local shop to order you one. I've heard some will only install it themselves, but mine has no issue ordering it for me if I need another. Now, i believe Sig used to sell them, but now will only ship to SIg Armorers.

I'm probably going to order the E2 grips for at least the 229 and maybe the 226's. I found a place that has them, but it's about $70 for shipping since they're in germany. They'll be available here soon, just not sure when.

Oh, another option and maybe even a better one, is to have Total Automation do the QRT package for $75. I believe you send them your sear and safety lever for the work. Supposed to be very good and feel a little better than the SRT.

http://www.TotalAutomation.us/sigcorner.htm

Another option is to send your gun to Bruce Gray at www.grayguns.com for some trigger work. He's a great guy and very easy to talk to.

Here's a link for a guy that had some work done to his 226. Sounds pretty good.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/4590064312
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

The SRT conversion can be done at home, but only if you're comfortable detail stripping the frame and replacing parts. If you want to do it yourself, I recommend getting the Sig Armorer's DVD for the P229. That should cover everything you need to do. I don't think Sig will sell you the parts though. I have seen them for sale on Sigforum though.

$699 seems a little high for a used base model P229 though. See here: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411541247
    and here:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411540157

Both for $699. Granted, you have to pay shipping and transfer, but both have night sights, one is an Elite, and the other has Aluminum grips.

That being said, I love my P229. It was a Sig CPO that I traded for. I carried it today in my Deep Concealment shoulder holster. It usually rides in a Gould & Goulrich leather pancake holster. It's one of four Sig's in my armory; I guess you could say that I'm Down with the Signess!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I EDC a G23...I also own a P228. Basically the same dilemma you have. The P228 is an excellent weapon. But I think I prefer to conceal the Glock.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have the Armorer books on PDF I could send your way if you end up trying the SRT yourself, just PM me your email. It wasn't too bad. I'm used to working on 1911's so it was odd at first and I had to figure out the small things like to push the pin just enough to hold the sear, then drop the spring in, move it a little more, then put the safety in and push the pin the rest of the way. once I figured that out, it was a smooth process.

Administrator
    No, Sig will not sell you the parts. You must go through an armorer. It really isnt hard to install, but you must pay careful attention to detail. I put the SRT in all of my carry Sigs, I thought it was well worth it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I bought a used P229 back in 2005 for $499. It was in mint condition, but no box and only one mag. It was my first carry pistol. It is a very sweet pistol and I used it as an EDC for about three years.

VIP Member
    I choose daily between a G19 and a P220. I have no qualms either way. It is simply a matter of preference for me.

$699 seems to me to be a bit on the high side. Try to do a little haggling and get it down a bit.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I choose daily between a G19 and a P220. I have no qualms either way. It is simply a matter of preference for me.

$699 seems to me to be a bit on the high side. Try to do a little haggling and get it down a bit.

Good luck!
    Which p220 model do you have? and does it conceal well?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I agree that $699 is not only a little high but REALLY high for a used 229 unless it has some bells and whistles. You can get a brand new base model at Bud's for $752 with free shipping and you get the lifetime warranty. If you are looking for EDC you might want to consider the single stack P239. You lose a little mag capacity but it is quite a bit thinner.

That is a high price for a SIG...what caliber? (9mm, .40S&W, or .357SIG?)...especially used. I'd say it's overpriced by $100 (minimum)...I usually see them in the $500-$550 range. For that price, there had better be at least 6 regular capacity (12-rd) mags that come with it....or a conversion barrel (if a .40 or .357SIG...should come with the other barrel or a drop-in 9mm barrel).

If it doesn't come with mags or an additional barrel, I think you're paying too much.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Which p220 model do you have? and does it conceal well?
    Full size P220R. No bells or whistles except night sites. It conceals just as well as my Colt Commander and better than my G21. The only real concession I make when carrying a large frame is to move it to the outside of my hip, as opposed to where I carry my G19 or G36, which is just behind my hip.

Some are put off by the weight, but I actually like it. I REALLY don't like the idea of "it's so small and light that I forget I have it on." Or, my personal favorite is the person who lost their ultra-small handgun in a movie theater and DID NOT NOTICE THAT IT WAS MISSING! That doesn't work for me.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links