please help

This is a discussion on please help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife was robbed car taken and all are personal info and my toddler daughter was involved to.....She and my sister in law that was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help

please help

My wife was robbed car taken and all are personal info and my toddler daughter was involved to.....She and my sister in law that was also there with her child was involved...

What hand gun for a women would you recommend?

My guns consist of a Kahr pm9, keltec p 3at,smith Wesson 340 ,642, glock 26,19,34, sig mosquito, or any thing you can recommend for her money is no object shes never held or fired a weapon and she really has no idea of my collection, like to keep it that way...I'd rather not have her fall in one with one of mine as I like all of mine....

Any help would be great....

2. Remove Ads

My wife shoots and loves her G19. She just got a Sig p238 which sits down inside her purse where her iphone used to live. The P238 is a real shooter, perfect for conceal in a purse and not hard on the hand at the range for practice.

VIP Member
    Its not what we would recommend or what you would like to give up from your collection that counts. What counts is what she will be comfortable with and actually carry. What counts too is what training she is able to find time for; and not just gun training but self-defense training including hand to hand skills and non-firearm weapons such as flashlight, pen, screw driver.

If that incident hasn't motivated her I don't know what will.

Sorry about what happened and glad she and kids and others are OK.

In the end, it will be a choice that she will have to make, through trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Its not what we would recommend or what you would like to give up from your collection that counts. What counts is what she will be comfortable with and actually carry. What counts too is what training she is able to find time for; and not just gun training but self-defense training including hand to hand skills and non-firearm weapons such as flashlight, pen, screw driver.

If that incident hasn't motivated her I don't know what will.

Sorry about what happened and glad she and kids and others are OK.
    Agreed.

Get her training; preferably where she can handle several different types of guns (autos, revolvers, etc) and calibers, and can find out what works for her. Then, let her decide what to get, and buy that pistol (whether it's something you like or not).

She'll be much more likely to carry and practice with somehting that she likes and is comfortable with than something that you've decided will be "best" for her.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

First of all, does she agree that she needs to carry a gun? Is she 100% in favor of defending her own life? Is she capable of shooting another human being without hesitation?

If you're in a state that requires it, the FIRST thing she needs is a permit or license.

The "best" gun is the one SHE likes, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in her hand like she was born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time she pulls the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In HER hand. It's how well SHE shoots it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so she won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on her "life protector" weapon, but she probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

Go to ranges that rent guns and/or find friends who will let her shoot theirs. Have her handle and shoot as many as she can - then make her own decision.

JD
    Administrator
    Ok, show her the collection, take her to Top Gun in Taylor or The Firing Line and let her shoot what you got and make her own choice as to what she wants, if she wants one of yours you can buy a replacement. Also, don't think that you will be able to train her yourself, it doesn't work that well...trust me.

JD
    Administrator
    Action Impact in Southfield is another decent place, I haven't shot there but the range is nice and the staff should be good to go.

thanks guys for the replies....i totally agree with the posts, she has no idea of my collection. she wants to have and learn the weapon not me but a self defense class is a great idea keep them coming

You've gotten really good advice already, here. It needs to be emphasized that she must be willing and able to use it. Moreover, she must be willing to have it with her, most all the time.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Several of my female friends unfamiliar with firearms have shot my various handguns and they all like my S&W 442 because it is simple. Less moving parts and steps to think about. Point and click. It does take training and practice to become proficient. Most importantly, a genuine desire to learn for herself and the mindset to defend herself with it. Otherwise, any hesitation in a SD situation and it could be taken and used against her. Step 1, decision for herself. Step 2, training. Step 3, selection. Step 4, practice, practice, practice.

PS. My wife is supportive of my defensive decisions and collection of defensive devices. She has no interest in one herself. She said she just doesn't know if she could actually do it. She knows if she ever changes her mind, all of the resources she could ever need are readily available for her. If that ever happened, it would definitely be a professional training class. I taught her how to drive a straight drive 17 years ago and that broke me from ever trying to teach her anything else.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Your family gets violated, and you're worried that she might "take" one of your guns as her own?!

If she is willing to get a permit, training, and to make the wardrobe changes needed to carry a handgun, then more power to her - and your sister-in-law too. Let her try as many guns as she can, and decide for herself.

She will need to ensure she is diligent with safety, since you have young kids around - no leaving the gun where they can get to it (purse carry is OUT with young kids).

Hope everyone is OK. Good luck to all of you.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Glad to hear everyone is alright. Hopefully she decides to start carrying and protecting herself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by kgwld1 View Post
    thanks guys for the replies....i totally agree with the posts, she has no idea of my collection. she wants to have and learn the weapon not me but a self defense class is a great idea keep them coming
    You maintain a secret gun stash you hide from your wife? If so, you need to work on the trust part of your relationship before you can go into the gun purchase part.

If your wife was attacked, yet you want to ensure she doesn't have access to any of "your" guns, you have a lot more issues to work out than what gun you allow her to buy.

...just sayin'.....

JD
    Administrator
    Guys, I seriously hope he said that in jest, either way lets not run him out on a rail ummmkay?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links