The pistol that sparked your love first...

This is a discussion on The pistol that sparked your love first... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We are all gun guys (and gals) here, its OK to talk about these things. What was the first pistol you have lusted over? We ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The pistol that sparked your love first...

Administrator

The pistol that sparked your love first...

We are all gun guys (and gals) here, its OK to talk about these things.

What was the first pistol you have lusted over? We all have had our first loves, the glossy full page add in that gun magazine you picked up at the drug store as a teenager, the gun you imagined if you just got your hands on one, you could solve all the worlds problems.

Mine was the Beretta 92. Back when they were really promoting the "new" Beretta, I thought that gun was just the cats ass. I still have a special place for the 92. Even though I havent carried or used one for home protection in more than 15 years, I still think the 92 is a fantastic pistol. When I run through drills or senarios in my head, I still see the 92 in my hands, even though I've been carrying Sigs for more than a few years and others before that.

Whats yours?
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Mine was a Colt Python in .357 back in 75' when I was in HS and didn't have a pot to piss in. I was hunting with a Ruger Single Six in .22 LR...killing lots of rabbits and squirrels. Eventually I was able to acquire a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 mag that I used to hunt deer with in NC while going to college there. Still don't own that damn Python. Wonder what one costs these days?

Just looked it up...still can't afford one at about $1,500. Crap!
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

Well, there have been Many, the chrome snubby that I got to shoot one time when I was a kid, I dont even know what it was or the caliber. I do remember the grownups calling it a Sat night special. The 1911 for a Semi auto. Actually just about every gun I saw.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

I know exactly what it was. When I was in high school I saw my first copy of "Guns and Ammo" magazine. On the cover there was a picture of a revolver. It was just beautiful. It was what a handgun was supposed to look like.

Under the picture in big bold letters were the words...

"SMITH & WESSON MODEL 19 COMBAT MAGNUM"

I still think that's what a handgun is supposed to look like.

(And an F-86 is what a fighter plane is supposed to look like.)
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    I know exactly what it was. When I was in high school I saw my first copy of "Guns and Ammo" magazine. On the cover there was a picture of a revolver. It was just beautiful. It was what a handgun was supposed to look like.

Under the picture in big bold letters were the words...

"SMITH & WESSON MODEL 19 COMBAT MAGNUM"

I still think that's what a handgun is supposed to look like.

(And an F-86 is what a fighter plane is supposed to look like.)
    Thats exactly what I'm talking about. Everybody got there own mind with their own first impressions. I think it will be interesting to read about other peoples.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Mine was the 1911; couldn’t afford one at the time so I started buying parts as I could afford them. After much study, trial and error in fitting and with some help from a gunsmith friend finally got it up and running. Still have it, call it my Johnny Cash gun from the song “One Piece At A Time”.

IMG_0581.JPG
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Mine was the 1911; couldn’t afford one at the time so I started buying parts as I could afford them. After much study, trial and error in fitting and with some help from a gunsmith friend finally got it up and running. Still have it, call it my Johnny Cash gun from the song “One Piece At A Time”.

IMG_0581.JPG
    Ha! Thats a great story. Looks like a nice pistol too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree that "SMITH & WESSON MODEL 19 COMBAT MAGNUM" or "SMITH & WESSON MODEL 66 COMBAT MAGNUM" are proper lustful handguns.

I love my 66 2.5" because it looks good, feels like an extension of my hand and I shoot it darn good.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

JD
    Administrator
    There were a couple back when I was a kid. The Sig 230, the Colt Government .380, and my Dad's Colt Python that he shot PPC with.

The Browning Hi Power and the Browning Nomad. In the late 50's Browning had the absolute best catalogs and I dutifully sent for them each year. The fact that an automatic could hold 14 rounds of a hi-velocity round just seemed over the top to me back then. The Nomad was their "affordable", field-grade .22 pistol that had the guts of the Medalist but didn't have to be babied to maintain its purty finish.

Of course once I had a paper route and made my own money, "Gun World" magazine came to me each month and the .41 Magnum just made all the sense in the world for a police revolver, so that was "the" wheelgun I lusted after.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sponsor
    a Rohm .22lr 8shot SA revolver with a 10"bbl. Damn I loved that thing, still have it in the garage loaded and ready to go and hiding if ever needed. (now where did I put that darn thing?)

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

Ruger Speed Six I bought in KCMO 25 years ago at a gun show for about $225.00 and still have it still today with my otther Ruger revolvers. richgp100z

It was the shiniest little chromed out .380 I had ever seen!!! I don't even remember who made it but I knew then I would have one just like it!

Now i buy all black guns! LOL Go Fig?!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Growing up I was (I may still not be grown up and still am), a huge American military history buff. I used to go to the local library and read and re-read anything I could find about the military, specifically the Marines (it's kind of a family thing). But in all the WWI, WW2, Korea and Vietnam books, they are talking about the 1911's in .45. And some of the books talked about combat in the Philippine insurrection of how the service revolver's didn't do the job, so the military wanted a .45. A lot of the books even had pictures of some soldier/airman/sailor/Marine with one. I knew that was the kind of handgun I wanted. I didn't get to own one until I turned 21, and it wasn't even the first pistol I bought (one of my 1911s was the second). But I discovered along they way that I am fairly decent with one, it fits my hand well, and it just has that "right" feel to it when I'm holding one.

It certainly influenced my initial buying lust, and then either subconsciously or consciously, I have made it my favorite pistol, and the one I shoot the best, probably why it's the only pistol I own several of the same design.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I've always been a history buff, and for quite a while was involved with WWII re-enacting, the first pistol I ever fell in love with was the GI issue 1911 with it's blued metal and wood grips, still love that gun to this day. I'd easily pick it as my "dream" gun before any of those fancy kimbers, vbobs or similar high end 1911's.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links