Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue - Page 2

Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Philo_Betto; Still around?? No sign of you following the first post. You've received a lot of good advice, so I hope you let us know ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue

Philo_Betto; Still around?? No sign of you following the first post. You've received a lot of good advice, so I hope you let us know how it turns out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

Personally, I really wanted to like the PM9. There is nothing else out there, for the money, quite like it. Unfortunately, it can be finicky, and I sold mine off due to this and other issues. My Glocks and LCPs are much less finicky - though the Glocks are larger and the LCP is of course "only" a .380.
    10th, yeah I'm leaning toward getting rid of it in favor of a P238, Kimber, or G26. I sent the PM9 back to Kahr today, which is frustrating given that I've had it just 2 days.

I appreciate the comments. I do find it an interesting thought process though. Some say it's foolhardy to not keep a round in the chamber all the time, a point I cannot argue against. But that "take no chances" thought process seems to defy the defense of the PM9 as a gun, which has a history of feeding issues. I say this with all due respect, I don't understand how the two don't contradict each other.

I don't want to memorize a series of FTF remedies which are unique to one certain gun (smack bottom of mag, etc) in order to address a feeding issue that is much more likely to crop up in this particular gun. See where I'm going? There seems to be 3 or 4 different techniques to use to make the PM9 work after it falters - techniques offered by guys who say I won't have time to chamber a round in an emergency. If I won't have time to chamber a round, where would I find time to clear a FTF?

I appreciate the advice, don't get me wrong. Just trying to sort through it.

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    Here is a video that might help......

You are having a feed problem when you try to load the gun by racking the slide and you want to carry it WITHOUT a round in the chamber ........Just seems a little backwards to me
    I don't fix a low right front tire on my pickup by letting a little air out of the left front tire. If a gun has issues and I can't be 99% sure they're worked out, I have no interest in that gun. When it gets back from Kahr and has more than 200 rounds through it, it will need to be "bulletproof" for many rounds before I decide I'm going to keep it. If it burps just once, it's for sale.

Good Job 10thmtn. Well said. I was directed in 1988 to go to Drum and help re-establish the 10th. I elected to retire....BTW, congratulations to your NCO's, they taught you well...lol
    SLED Certified CWP Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, NRA Recruiter, Affiliate Instructor Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network, member NRA,USCCA,GOA,GrassRootsSC.
    Be Safe,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Philo Betto View Post
    I don't want to memorize a series of FTF remedies which are unique to one certain gun (smack bottom of mag, etc) in order to address a feeding issue that is much more likely to crop up in this particular gun. See where I'm going? There seems to be 3 or 4 different techniques to use to make the PM9 work after it falters - techniques offered by guys who say I won't have time to chamber a round in an emergency. If I won't have time to chamber a round, where would I find time to clear a FTF?
    - I'm not sure if you're missing the advice that's being given. If you load the first round using the slide stop, that will most likely solve your FTF problems. If you're not comfortable doing that or carrying a round chambered, the PM9 is not for you. Buy a gun with a safety and chamber the round. There is virtually no one on this forum that recommends carrying an unloaded firearm.

10th, yeah I'm leaning toward getting rid of it in favor of a P238, Kimber, or G26. I sent the PM9 back to Kahr today, which is frustrating given that I've had it just 2 days.
    - Just a word of caution. You'll also find that others have had FTF problems with the Sig P238 and Kimbers, especially during the break in period. The Glock 26 should run flawlessly out of the box, but it also has no external safety.

IIf a gun has issues and I can't be 99% sure they're worked out, I have no interest in that gun. When it gets back from Kahr and has more than 200 rounds through it, it will need to be "bulletproof" for many rounds before I decide I'm going to keep it. If it burps just once, it's for sale.
    - I agree that you should not carry any gun that you are not comfortable with or is not reliable. I've sold guns in the past that I was not comfortable with.

I don't fix a low right front tire on my pickup by letting a little air out of the left front tire. If a gun has issues and I can't be 99% sure they're worked out, I have no interest in that gun. When it gets back from Kahr and has more than 200 rounds through it, it will need to be "bulletproof" for many rounds before I decide I'm going to keep it. If it burps just once, it's for sale.
    Correct....you fix your problem by racking the slide correctly (slingshot) and carrying one in the chamber
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Check out Kahrtalk.com for alot of advice in breaking in a new Kahr. Particularly in the "proper prep for your new Kahr" section. It should answer all of your questions. Kahr's require a little extra love when new, but they will absolutely reward you.

I think everyone on this forum will tell you it is silly to not carry chambered, but to each his own. Be advised however, the Kahr does not like being sling-shot racked as much as "other" pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by jdjon View Post
    Good Job 10thmtn. Well said. I was directed in 1988 to go to Drum and help re-establish the 10th. I elected to retire....BTW, congratulations to your NCO's, they taught you well...lol
    We had quite a few great NCOs - my first Platoon Sergeant being one of them. Some of the proudest moments in my life were instances where some of the NCOs I worked with told me they appreciated that I was a "different" officer - I actually asked for their advice, and sometimes had enough sense to listen to it!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

OP - My advice was based on the idea that you wanted to keep the PM9. It sounds like you don't have 200 rounds through it yet - if that is the case, I'm surprised Kahr took it back for repair. I would have guessed they would have told you to finish the break in period.

In the end, I decided that I did not want a pistol that would not run like my others. The trade-off I made was to go with a larger, heavier, but less finicky pistol (Glock 26) and a smaller, lighter, less finicky, but less powerful one (LCP).

Some folks are willing to overlook the quirks of the PM9 (and Kahr in general) because of the small size and light weight of their designs. Duds are rare, and you will hopefully never run your pistol dry in a self defense situation. If you're willing to take those bets, then the Kahr's attributes are compelling.

The main thing is to go in with eyes wide open. I think most people buy Kahr pistols without understanding their quirks - and are then faced with either training around them, or selling the pistols at a loss and going with something else. My intent was to educate you (and others reading this) about some of those quirks, and what your options are to deal with them.

Hope the info was helpful. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'm not sure if you're missing the advice that's being given. If you load the first round using the slide stop, that will most likely solve your FTF problems. If you're not comfortable doing that or carrying a round chambered, the PM9 is not for you. Buy a gun with a safety and chamber the round. There is virtually no one on this forum that recommends carrying an unloaded firearm.
    I have no problem carrying with a round chambered after learning of Kahr's drop safe feature. That said, a FTF issue tells me there is a problem. I don't want problems, especially the kind that are predictable.

Just a word of caution. You'll also find that others have had FTF problems with the Sig P238 and Kimbers, especially during the break in period. The Glock 26 should run flawlessly out of the box, but it also has no external safety.
    Thanks, I hadn't heard that about Sigs and Kimbers. We'll see how the PM9 works when it returns from Kahr. If it works pretty much flawlessly after 200 rounds I may keep it. If not, the G26 may be where I go.

I agree that you should not carry any gun that you are not comfortable with or is not reliable. I've sold guns in the past that I was not comfortable with.
    That's it exactly.

OP - My advice was based on the idea that you wanted to keep the PM9. It sounds like you don't have 200 rounds through it yet - if that is the case, I'm surprised Kahr took it back for repair. I would have guessed they would have told you to finish the break in period.
    That really wasn't an option. The problem worsened yesterday to the point that no rounds would feed from either magazine. The dealer thinks something is broken.

The main thing is to go in with eyes wide open. I think most people buy Kahr pistols without understanding their quirks - and are then faced with either training around them, or selling the pistols at a loss and going with something else. My intent was to educate you (and others reading this) about some of those quirks, and what your options are to deal with them.
    I appreciate your advice. It's human nature for people to defend their own purchase decisions and it's often difficult to get someone to talk about the "quirks" of the brand they chose.

I go to the range about once per week but don't consider myself to be a really experienced handgunner. So, I don't want to keep straight in my head the various quirks of various guns that have quirks. I want unquirky guns to simplify the process. Before going for my CCW I had 3 S&W Sigma 9mm handguns - one for my home, one for my pickup, and one for my business. I know it's a lower end handgun but I wanted familiarity (and never had a FTF issue with any of them).

I may be thinking too much.

Not at all - I think very much like you do. I want the same manual of arms in all my defensive handguns. Most of all, they must be reliable.

And lest folks think I'm picking on Kahr - I had considered the Walther PPS before I bought my Glock 26 (I already had a G19), but the PPS' funky mag release would have required a different manual of arms than I was used to, so I decided to keep things consistent and get the G26.

I hope Kahr at least gets yours running. It'll be up to you then as to whether you want to keep it or not.

Good luck!
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Not at all - I think very much like you do. I want the same manual of arms in all my defensive handguns. Most of all, they must be reliable.

And lest folks think I'm picking on Kahr - I had considered the Walther PPS before I bought my Glock 26 (I already had a G19), but the PPS' funky mag release would have required a different manual of arms than I was used to, so I decided to keep things consistent and get the G26.

I hope Kahr at least gets yours running. It'll be up to you then as to whether you want to keep it or not.

Good luck!
    The dealer that sold me the PM9 is also a Glock dealer and while I was in there yesterday sending back my PM9, I picked up one of his G26s. Felt pretty good, and the 10 rounds is definately a plus.

I have to address the very real issue that I may simply be finding an excuse to buy another gun.

About 50% of the time the first round fails to feed when I start a fresh magazine. I called Kahr ...
    Keep working with Kahr. And keep sending it back to them until it's fixed. The gun shouldn't do that, though I've heard reports from many different PM9 owners who have indicated the same thing. Mine also did this. Kahr ultimately corrected it, after trips to the shop, but I ended up selling it due to losing confidence in the gun's ability to perform. That said, many folks report their PM9's work just fine. Hit and miss, sadly.

... they explained that I need to use the slide lock, then the release to load the first round. I assume this will solve the problem but that sure seems to be a time-consuming method if I need the gun in a hurry.
    Getting hung up on cycling can be deadly, to be sure.

I guess that begs the question: Do you feel safe carrying with a round chambered?
    Sure. With a quality holster that correctly covers the trigger area, and so long as I am well-practiced with the gun in question with respect to draws, reholstering and general handling ... sure. Better that than having to worry about the delay of needing to first cycle the gun prior to being able to fire a round, which could be time not given to me by the violent felon who is in my face seeking my death at that moment. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Here is a good video showing the FTF you talk about and how a proper slingshot method will solve that problem.
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...&v=wVwMfuJXdsA
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links