Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue - Page 3

Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Philo Betto I have to address the very real issue that I may simply be finding an excuse to buy another gun. ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philo Betto View Post
    I have to address the very real issue that I may simply be finding an excuse to buy another gun.
    And that's OK.......I use many excusses to but new guns all the time! What day is it for example.......a good day to buy another gun.

I have owned a PM9 for almost 3 years and yes the first round in the mag is tough to strip off unless you drop the slide from lock or aggressively rack the slide which is what I do. This handgun has never once failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger and never once had a failuer of any kind......zero, as in none ever with 600-700 rounds through the handgun. I trust this gun and its a fine little carry gun thats performed flawlessly every time out.
    Last edited by pirate; August 6th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Ihave had my Kahr PM9 for three years. I too had this problem and was ready to sell the gun. Glad that I did not. The only quirk to this gun is proper loading either from slide lock or proper slingshotting. It does require an aggresssiive slingshot. That is not any special training requirment or learning curve. As others have mentioned when loading that first round thrust the gun forward with the right hand whilepulling pack the slide. I have loaded my firearm 1000's of times this way and once I recognized the technique have never had another fail to load. The accuracy and dependability of this gun more than make up for the quirk. Also, extremely easy to conceal, and carry. Light and ergonomic. POI is excellent and the long trigger pull is smooth and with practice can be mastered. Every gun you ever own will have its own characteristics. grip safety, where the mag release is, where the safety is, how to disassemble. The Kahr is no different. And an aggressive slingshot on the first round is really no big deal. I hope that you can wokr thru this as I believe this is a phenomenal gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ...many folks report their PM9's work just fine. Hit and miss, sadly.
    This indeed seems to be the case, as the two posts above seem to point out.

For those of you who can "slingshot" your PM9 with success, a few questions...

Can you do this with JHPs in addition to FMJ?

Can you do this from both a slide-open as well as a slide-closed starting position?

Have you been able to do this successfully while under stress, such as a tactical course or timed shooting match?

Finally - how many rounds do you have through your PM9s all together? I suppose it is possible that they need much more breaking in than the 200 rounds Kahr specifies. I had over 1000 through my first one, with no love.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    This indeed seems to be the case, as the two posts above seem to point out.

For those of you who can "slingshot" your PM9 with success, a few questions...

Can you do this with JHPs in addition to FMJ?
    YES

Can you do this from both a slide-open as well as a slide-closed starting position?
    YES

Have you been able to do this successfully while under stress, such as a tactical course or timed shooting match?
    YES

Finally - how many rounds do you have through your PM9s all together? I suppose it is possible that they need much more breaking in than the 200 rounds Kahr specifies. I had over 1000 through my first one, with no love.
    Over 1,000 rounds. But I've been able to rack the slide and chamber a round since day one
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Over 1,000 rounds. But I've been able to rack the slide and chamber a round since day one.
    I guess two possible conclusions are possible from this:
    1. Those who have had FTF issues are doing something wrong. or;
    2. Kahr has a manufacturing consistency issue.

Frankly, I don't know which it is. One thing seems evident from this thread: The G27 series guns do not have the same issue, regardless of the user doing things right or wrong.

Not meant to step on any toes, just casual observation.

Frankly, I don't know which it is.
    Neither does Kahr.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hmmm...I dunno either.

What I do know is I've not had any of these issues with any other pistols.

I also know that I had other issues with my Kahrs.

Some folks seem to get lucky, and have no issues with them. Perhaps they are consistently inconsistent?
    CT Lasers

Frankly, I don't know which it is.
    - I don't think anyone else does either. My advice would be to see how the PM9 performs after a trip back to Kahr. If it doesn't perform to your expectations, then I would sell it. I love my Kahrs (MK9, PM9, P380), but would sell them in a heartbeat if they didn't work out.

One thing seems evident from this thread: The G27 series guns do not have the same issue, regardless of the user doing things right or wrong.
    - I owned a Glock 27 for over a decade. It fed everything and ran flawlessly. The only reason I ended up switching was because I found the Kahr MK9 and PM9 to be much more conceable and comfortable. The MK9 due to it's very slim slide and the PM9 for a large difference in weight. I actually sold my Glock 27 to a friend earlier this year since he didn't have a carry gun. I ended up purchasing a Gen3 Glock 19 with RTF2. I don't usually carry it that often since my PM9 is much more pleasant to carry. If the increase size and weight of the Glock 27 doesn't bother you, I would go with that.

Good luck with your choice.

+1

If you can conceal the Glock, you will find it to be a better weapon in every way except size/weight.
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Some folks seem to get lucky, and have no issues with them. Perhaps they are consistently inconsistent?
    It has nothing to do with luck at all, the vast majority of Kahr owners have no issues with their guns. I would say for every owner that has issues there are literally hundreds whose guns have been basically flawless for them. I am a Glock owner also, so I am no Fanboy of any one company and their products when it comes to firearms, I just call it like I see it and have 35 years of handgun shooting experience to back up my points and input. I own over 30 handguns so any and I mean any handgun in my stable that does not work reliable is not staying with me long. I really think most of the negative feedback Kahr handguns get is from Glock owners who have a us vs. them mentality with Kahr guns. Why? Who knows, but many people and you see it on this site a lot need to justify and validate their purchases and need to fish for positive feedback from others to do this, and in turn need to make negative comments about others gun choices to validate their choices. This is not directed at you 10thmtn but a general view and I see examples of this on this site daily. At least in this case 10thmtn is speaking from his own personal experiences as I am with Kahr handguns but far to many here make comments and give "opinions" on issues they have no first hand knowledge or experience with and just give rehashed bunk they read or heard somewhere. Its worthless and a waste of time to read it.

If it don't work every time, I do not carry it and my PM9 and CW40 have gone bang every time I have pulled the trigger. I am very hard on my carry guns, shoot them a lot and often and they must perform to stay in my rotation. If the Kahr's were "iffy" I would dump them, but that has not been the case at all.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Maybe Pirate. I'm still not sure. I've been involved with things that go "bang" or "boom" for over 20 years myself. I've owned three different Kahr handguns, and all of them had multiple issues. I can believe in bad luck once, maybe twice...but three times? Even I'm not that unlucky.

Between their design - the angle of the top round in the mag, the offset feed ramp, the tight tolerances...and perhaps indifferent QC...there is definitely "something" to the Kahr issues that folks post about.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    It has nothing to do with luck at all, the vast majority of Kahr owners have no issues with their guns. I would say for every owner that has issues there are literally hundreds whose guns have been basically flawless for them. I am a Glock owner also, so I am no Fanboy of any one company and their products when it comes to firearms, I just call it like I see it and have 35 years of handgun shooting experience to back up my points and input. I own over 30 handguns so any and I mean any handgun in my stable that does not work reliable is not staying with me long. I really think most of the negative feedback Kahr handguns get is from Glock owners who have a us vs. them mentality with Kahr guns. Why? Who knows, but many people and you see it on this site a lot need to justify and validate their purchases and need to fish for positive feedback from others to do this, and in turn need to make negative comments about others gun choices to validate their choices. This is not directed at you 10thmtn but a general view and I see examples of this on this site daily. At least in this case 10thmtn is speaking from his own personal experiences as I am with Kahr handguns but far to many here make comments and give "opinions" on issues they have no first hand knowledge or experience with and just give rehashed bunk they read or heard somewhere. Its worthless and a waste of time to read it.

If it don't work every time, I do not carry it and my PM9 and CW40 have gone bang every time I have pulled the trigger. I am very hard on my carry guns, shoot them a lot and often and they must perform to stay in my rotation. If the Kahr's were "iffy" I would dump them, but that has not been the case at all.
    I sincerely wish the problems I had with my PM9 were imagined, shooter-induced, or prompted by my jealous ownership of a Glock. The truth is that I wrote a check for $855 for my gun 2 weeks ago (with CT) and I really want that to have not been a mistake. I'm motivated for the gun to work right, I have not made up the issues with it.

I'll give the gun a chance but I won't send it back to Kahr more than once in persuit of that. The dilemma that lies ahead of me is knowing that if it doesn't work right when it comes back, I can't in good conscience sell it to someone else unless it is expressly for parts. I will not be a very good proponent of Kahr if I end up eating several hundred dollars on it.

Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue
    I had a few rounds hang up un the first 50 in my PM-9 also. Kahr recommends a 200 round break-in.
    The recoil spring is so darn stiff that it is esay to ride it a bit and slow it down. That's the reason for using the slide release. It really bangs it home.
    Give it a chance, mine settled down and is a great little gun.

So, you actually can carry WITHOUT one in the pipe? What will they think of next
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    So, you actually can carry WITHOUT one in the pipe?
    Not with a PM9, evidently.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links