Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just fired my new PM9 for the first time today, using American Eagle 115 grain ball ammo. About 50% of the time the first round ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue

Kahr PM9 Ammo Feed Issue

Just fired my new PM9 for the first time today, using American Eagle 115 grain ball ammo. About 50% of the time the first round fails to feed when I start a fresh magazine. I called Kahr and they explained that I need to use the slide lock, then the release to load the first round. I assume this will solve the problem but that sure seems to be a time-consuming method if I need the gun in a hurry.

I guess that begs the question: Do you feel safe carrying with a round chambered?

2. Remove Ads

Remember, your weapon won't fire unless you pull the trigger.

I would say most people carry with a round chambered. Even without this issue you may not have time to rack the slide when you need your firearm. you may not even have two hands available. Always carry with one in the pipe, then you don't have to worry about chambering a round. If you need to reload, when empty your PM9 will be in slide lock, put in a fresh mag, hit the release and you're good to go.

personally when renting PM9s I've yet to run into this feed issue.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Philo Betto View Post
    Just fired my new PM9 for the first time today, using American Eagle 115 grain ball ammo. About 50% of the time the first round fails to feed when I start a fresh magazine. I called Kahr and they explained that I need to use the slide lock, then the release to load the first round. I assume this will solve the problem but that sure seems to be a time-consuming method if I need the gun in a hurry.
    - You should always use the slide stop to chamber the first round in a Kahr. Some people can manually chamber a round with no issues, but usually only in well broken in Kahrs. I can manually chamber a round in my MK9, PM9 and P380, but I always use the slide stop.

I guess that begs the question: Do you feel safe carrying with a round chambered?
    - I always carry with a round in the chamber of all my firearms. If you have a holster that covers the trigger and have good drawing practices, there should be NO chance of a negligent discharge. There are entire threads dedicated to carrying with a round chambered or not, but IMO, a firearm is about as useful as a hammer when not loaded. Not to mention that there may be an instance when you actually can't physically chamber a round when you need it. You may only have one hand free, be on your back, etc.

If you're still not comfortable carrying one chambered, you probably own the wrong gun. Buy one with an external safety.

Kahr requires a full rack and even the slightest let forward will stop that first round. Carrying one in the chamber and a full clip feeds fine. If you slingshot, you need to pull the slide back with weak hand as you thrust forward with your strong hand, ripping the slide out of the weak hand. Of course all this while pointed downrange. This should be how you were taught to clear a malfunction in a gun fight so you should practice it. It works.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I would feel "un-safe" without a round chambered is the answer.....

I am not trying to be a tool here but how else would you carry? If you don't feel safe carrying a handgun loaded with a round in the chamber you really don't need to be carrying at all. Handguns don't go off normally unless you pull the trigger first. You really think you would have time to draw your firearm from concealment, rack the slide and then fire when facing an armed threat at close range? I guess maybe you could under some curcumstances but that’s neither wise nor efficient use of your gun. What if you are injured or shot first (which is a real possibility with a pistol not ready to go bang) and cannot rack the slide. Get some real training and a lot of practice and then you will feel comfortable carrying with a "loaded weapon", otherwise just carry a knife or a club or some other blunt object cause thats all a handgun is if its not loaded with a round in the chamber. In all seriousness, and I am not talking down to you, just trying to help.....almost anyone can buy a handgun and almost anyone can get a carry permit, but with this comes a great responsiblity for your own safety and the safety of others as well. Please think about getting some good handgun training. It helps everybody to get better at pistol craft and be better prepared to carry.

You picked a great small CCW handgun....one of the best avalible today at any price so you have a very good platform to use and carry.

Last edited by pirate; August 4th, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Interesting that you had this issue with round-nose FMJ ammo. Does your PM9 have at least 200 rounds through it? That's Kahr's recommended break-in.

Kahr does mandate that you load the first round using the slide release lever, for this reason. You hope that you will be at slide lock if you run your pistol dry - but in a fight, weird things happen, and it's possible to bump the slide and have it close on you. In that case, reloading your PM9 (from a closed slide) can be problematic.

I'm guessing that you got a nose-down jam, with the nose of the bullet stuck into the feed ramp? If so, Kahr instructed me that you can slap upward on the bottom of the mag hard, and the round will usually nose-up and feed.

I agree with the others - carry your pistol in a proper holster, with a round in the chamber.

Personally, I really wanted to like the PM9. There is nothing else out there, for the money, quite like it. Unfortunately, it can be finicky, and I sold mine off due to this and other issues. My Glocks and LCPs are much less finicky - though the Glocks are larger and the LCP is of course "only" a .380.

Good luck with yours - hope you get it running to your satisfaction.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

GM

You shall always use the slide lock to chamber the first round in a PM9, if you had read the owners manual you would had known it. I strongly recommend you to read the owners manual before operating any firearm.

You can rack the slide by hand and it still will work without problems, but you have to know how to do it. The PM9 is an awesome gun, but it takes time and practice before you can master it.

Using the slide lock to chamber the first round is not a time consuming method because you always shall carry with one in the chamber. Why should you carry a firearm if not with one in the chamber? I carry my SA's cocked and locked; none of my DAO's has external safety and I also carry them with one in the camber.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Other Kahr PM9 carriers seem to have answered your question well with regard to the slide lock when loading a fresh magazine.

I am answering the second part about feeling safe carrying with a round chambered.

Yes, I do feel safe carrying with a round chambered no matter what pistol I am carrying. In fact, safer than without a round chambered, in part due to the particular slide lock / loading procedure as specified in the owners manual. While my PM9 is well broken in and is less particular about loading as the manual states, I prefer to still keep a round chambered.

I have only to deal with a threat as it arises and to focus on muscle memory training with gross motor skills. I think most would agree, chambering a round using the slide/lock is not a gross motor skill.

Here is a video that might help......
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...&v=hjLbFOw8sow

You are having a feed problem when you try to load the gun by racking the slide and you want to carry it WITHOUT a round in the chamber ........Just seems a little backwards to me
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    When in doubt... read the manual.

About carrying one in the pipe. Kahr PM9's have a very long DOA trigger which IMO will help against a accidental discharge . If your not comfortable with one in the chamber, then the PM9 is not for you. I would never wan't to be in a high stress situation and have to chamber a round using the slide lock.

Please don't give up on what is one of the best pocket pistols out there. Get two to three hundred rounds through it, always use the slide stop to chamber the first round out of a full magazine, and go ahead and get comfortable carrying it with a round in the chamber.
    I went through the "should I carry with one in the chamber" over thirty years ago. Aside from having to have two hands available in order to get the pistol operational, I was forever forgetting if there was one in the spout or not.
    Get a well designed holster, IWB or better yet, a GOOD pocket holster, and you'll have a very safe and superbly effective defensive companion.

Skip

One suggestion - try the Hornady Critical Defense round, or Cor-Bon's PowRBall. The CD round did not exist when I had my PM9, and I sometimes wonder if its pointy profile would resolve the "you must use the slide release to chamber the first round" issue. I did try PowRBall and it worked better, but I was not comfortable with its light-for-caliber weight (only 100 gr).

Most instructors train you to use the overhand (aka slingshot) pull-and-release method of chambering the first round, because it is easier to do under stress - the small slide release lever can be missed under stress (if you've never missed that little lever at the square range, please realize that a real-life fight is not a pleasant day at the range). The fact that I could not get my PM9 to reliably load this way (when all my other pistols could) was part of the reason I sold off my PM9 - I did not want one pistol that had a manual of arms that was different than all the others.

Perhaps the CD round could resolve that quirk? The fact that the OP is having this issue with FMJ makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the gun. If there are more than 200 rounds through it, I'd give Kahr a call.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

My PM9 has been flawless with all ammo for the first 500 rounds as well as more accurate than I expected. If you carry one in the chamber, as most do, the slide will not be an issue in a self defense situation until you have fired 7 shots. Let's hope you do not need more than that.

You can also experience an issue if you get a dud, and need to do a tap-rack drill. This is especially the case if the mag is full or nearly full. Trying to manually rack the dud out of the chamber will often result in a nose-down jam. The "solution" offered by Kahr was to smack upward hard on the bottom of the mag to get the jammed round to nose-up and feed. Sometimes that worked, and sometimes not.

Also - be sure to get a snug mag case to carry your spare mag(s). The top round in the mag is at a steeper angle than the rounds below it. It can come loose unless the mag carrier is snug. The feed angle of the top round in the Kahr mag is a contributing factor to the Kahr's feeding quirks.

Kahr also told me you need to replace the recoil spring every 1000 rounds, FYI. Mine started having failure to return fully to battery issues a few hundred rounds after that.

Hope these tips help!
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links